Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you get 320 volts.

Hi,

Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase, 320 volts. I
have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?

Thanks,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase, 320 volts. I
have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?

Thanks,

Aaron

not sure. was thinking one leg of three phase, but that's not right -
one leg of 480 to neutral is 277V, and one leg of 600 is 346V

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase, 320 volts. I
have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?

Just connect a 3200 volt supply to a 10:1 stepdown transformer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase, 320 volts. I
have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?

Thanks,

Aaron

not sure. was thinking one leg of three phase, but that's not right -
one leg of 480 to neutral is 277V, and one leg of 600 is 346V

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

You get 320V by being dyslexic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase, 320 volts. I
have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?

Thanks,

Aaron

Typing error for 230 volts.......................................

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have your wife distract you while you are typing 220.

Eb dyselxci while typing 120?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase,
320 volts. I
have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?

Thanks,

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2009 7:52 PM Pete C. spake thus:

Nate Nagel wrote:

Aaron Fude wrote:

Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase, 320 volts. I
have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?

not sure. was thinking one leg of three phase, but that's not right -
one leg of 480 to neutral is 277V, and one leg of 600 is 346V

You get 320V by being dyslexic.

So didya hear about the agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lay awake nights
wondering if there really was a dog?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 10:32*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase, 320 volts. I
have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?

Thanks,

Aaron

"How does one get 320 volts?"

Run for office.

Oh, *volts*!

Sorry...misunderstood the question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase, 320 volts. I
have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?

With a typographical error, of course. DUH!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 12:24*am, wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 19:32:35 -0700 (PDT), Aaron Fude

wrote:
Hi,

Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase, 320 volts. I
have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?

Thanks,

Aaron

That's easy. *Wire a 220 line and a 110 line together in series.

Three 110V, AC batteries...in series!

Posted to alt.home.repair

How do you drive Unitarians out of the neighborhood.....
burn a big wooden question mark on thier lawn.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

So didya hear about the agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lay
awake nights
wondering if there really was a dog?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase, 320 volts. I
have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?

Thanks,

Aaron

Call up the seller and ask him to confirm what his ad says....

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 10:37*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase, 320 volts. I
have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?

Thanks,

Aaron

not sure. *was thinking one leg of three phase, but that's not right -
one leg of 480 to neutral is 277V, and one leg of 600 is 346V

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

So... you responded to a question to say you don't know...

Wait a s e c o n d .... ... you're right, for a change!
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 11:13:14 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase, 320 volts. I
have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?

The saw is almost certainly says 230V on its power spec plate. 220V
service actully often measures 230-240 volt. He just twisted the 2 and the
3. (See comment on units below)

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Wow that brings back memories of the instructor who made us work problems
in the BSF (Barley corn - stone - fortnight) system. Barley corn is about
1/3 inch long, stone weighs 14 ounces, and a fortnight is, of course, two
weeks.

The unit of force was the sluggard which, acting upon a mass of one stone
for one fortnight, would accelerate it to a velocity of one barley corn per
fortnight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

Just a moment though. Here in Canada; I was given some fluorescent
fixtures rated at 345 (or 347) volts 60 hertz AC.
Afterwards converted a couple by changing the ballasts which had on
hand, to 115v.
The fixtures had been scrapped from a supermarket upgrade, which
certainly would have had three phase service for their fridges
freezers, perhaps commercial ovens etc.
There were also IIRC some scrapped three pole breakers.
Just trying to recall the voltage ratios between our domestic 115/230
volts and three phase voltages. Can anybody help with a quick
tutorial? Such as; 345 volts is to say 208 volts as 115 is to ????
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

That stone would move about 1.5 laggards by the sound of it! That's,
approximately (to nine decimal places!), 0.877641532 cubits. :-)
Better than crashing a Mars Lander cos someone didn't understand
metric units, eh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase, 320 volts. I
have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?

The saw is almost certainly says 230V on its power spec plate. Â*220V
service actully often measures 230-240 volt. Â*He just twisted the 2 and the
3. Â*(See comment on units below)

--

Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Wow that brings back memories of the instructor who made us work problems
in the BSF (Barley corn - stone - fortnight) system. Â*Barley corn is about
1/3 inch long, stone weighs 14 ounces, and a fortnight is, of course, two
weeks. Â*

The unit of force was the sluggard which, acting upon a mass of one stone
for one fortnight, would accelerate it to a velocity of one barley corn per
fortnight.

Just a moment though. Here in Canada; I was given some fluorescent
fixtures rated at 345 (or 347) volts 60 hertz AC.
Afterwards converted a couple by changing the ballasts which had on
hand, to 115v.
The fixtures had been scrapped from a supermarket upgrade, which
certainly would have had three phase service for their fridges
freezers, perhaps commercial ovens etc.
There were also IIRC some scrapped three pole breakers.
Just trying to recall the voltage ratios between our domestic 115/230
volts and three phase voltages. Can anybody help with a quick
tutorial? Such as; 345 volts is to say 208 volts as 115 is to ????

Sounds like a 600 volt nominal 3 phase system

If we use 208 and 117, the ratio is 1.77, and 1.77X345 = 613.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 12:04:34 -0400, George

wrote:

Hi,

Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase, 320 volts. I
have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?

Thanks,

Aaron

That's easy. Wire a 220 line and a 110 line together in series.

Actually that would be the simplest way to do it if 320 was actually
needed by just wiring a small transformer in boost configuration so the
lines are added.

Can't put 110 and 220 from the same supply in series though, because
110 is half of the 220. Would need transformer derived (isolated)
voltage sources for sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 9:38*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:51:50 -0700 (PDT), stan
wrote:

[...]
There were also IIRC some scrapped three pole breakers.
Just trying to recall the voltage ratios between our domestic 115/230
volts and three phase voltages. Can anybody help with a quick
tutorial? Such as; 345 volts is to say 208 volts as 115 is to ????

Sounds like a 600 volt nominal 3 phase system

If we use 208 and 117, the ratio is 1.77, and 1.77X345 = 613.

Actually, the ratio for three-phase voltage is the square root of three =
1.73205...

208 / sqrt(3) = 120.09
345 * sqrt(3) = 597.6

Yup that sounds about right. Was too lazy at that time of night (here)
to pull out a text-book!
S.Market would likely have had the approx 600v phase to phase with 345
phase to neutral.
Cheers
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 18, 2009 at 8:54:36 AM UTC-5, Me Name wrote:
On Jul 18, 9:38Â*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:51:50 -0700 (PDT), stan
wrote:

[...]
There were also IIRC some scrapped three pole breakers.
Just trying to recall the voltage ratios between our domestic 115/230
volts and three phase voltages. Can anybody help with a quick
tutorial? Such as; 345 volts is to say 208 volts as 115 is to ????

Sounds like a 600 volt nominal 3 phase system

If we use 208 and 117, the ratio is 1.77, and 1.77X345 = 613.

Actually, the ratio for three-phase voltage is the square root of three =
1.73205...

208 / sqrt(3) = 120.09
345 * sqrt(3) = 597.6

Yup that sounds about right. Was too lazy at that time of night (here)
to pull out a text-book!
S.Market would likely have had the approx 600v phase to phase with 345
phase to neutral.
Cheer

If the motor is single phase need to check the following. Is the motor three phase or single phase? If single phase change the motor to one that requires 220 volts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:51:50 -0700 (PDT), stan
wrote:
[...]
[...]

Unfortunately the CL listing expired a decade ago and maybe the poster too.
Most likely the 320 was a typo.