Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you get 320 volts.

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:51:50 -0700 (PDT), stan
wrote:

On Jul 17, 12:45Â*am, wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 11:13:14 -0400, jeff_wisnia

wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Just found a table saw on craigslist that's single phase, 320 volts. I
have 220 in my garage. How does one get 320 volts?

The saw is almost certainly says 230V on its power spec plate. Â*220V
service actully often measures 230-240 volt. Â*He just twisted the 2 and the
3. Â*(See comment on units below)

--

Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Wow that brings back memories of the instructor who made us work problems
in the BSF (Barley corn - stone - fortnight) system. Â*Barley corn is about
1/3 inch long, stone weighs 14 ounces, and a fortnight is, of course, two
weeks. Â*

The unit of force was the sluggard which, acting upon a mass of one stone
for one fortnight, would accelerate it to a velocity of one barley corn per
fortnight.

Just a moment though. Here in Canada; I was given some fluorescent
fixtures rated at 345 (or 347) volts 60 hertz AC.
Afterwards converted a couple by changing the ballasts which had on
hand, to 115v.
The fixtures had been scrapped from a supermarket upgrade, which
certainly would have had three phase service for their fridges
freezers, perhaps commercial ovens etc.
There were also IIRC some scrapped three pole breakers.
Just trying to recall the voltage ratios between our domestic 115/230
volts and three phase voltages. Can anybody help with a quick
tutorial? Such as; 345 volts is to say 208 volts as 115 is to ????

Sounds like a 600 volt nominal 3 phase system

If we use 208 and 117, the ratio is 1.77, and 1.77X345 = 613.