Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Window Sill tiles scratched with carborundum stone

The tiled window sill on the front of our house had been painted years ago
and the paint was peeling off.

So although a long job I patiently scraped off all the paint. Then
discovered that a couple had been damaged and just filled with a filler and
painted over.

I'm in the process of removing one. See web pictu

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2rg1jd2&s=5

Stupidly I thought they would clean up well with a carborundum stone, but
soon realized that they were *glazed* and I have now made a right mess of a
couple of them. See the two to the right of the broken tile that I'm in
the process of taking out.

I really don't want to paint them again unless I have to, since I 've a
feeling its just going to peel again in a couple of years. Any suggestions
as to what I'm best doing to try and repair scratched tiles?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

john royce wrote:
Stupidly I thought they would clean up well with a carborundum stone, but
soon realized that they were *glazed* and I have now made a right mess of a
couple of them. See the two to the right of the broken tile that I'm in
the process of taking out.

...suggestions...as to what I'm best doing to try and repair scratched tiles?

I'd either ignore it or replace them along w/ the broken one. Outside
nobody's going to ever notice much anyway.

You could try polishing (a la finishing Corian, etc.) but imo it would
be much effort for little purpose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

john royce wrote:
The tiled window sill on the front of our house had been painted years ago
and the paint was peeling off.

So although a long job I patiently scraped off all the paint. Then
discovered that a couple had been damaged and just filled with a filler and
painted over.

I'm in the process of removing one. See web pictu

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2rg1jd2&s=5

Stupidly I thought they would clean up well with a carborundum stone, but
soon realized that they were *glazed* and I have now made a right mess of a
couple of them. See the two to the right of the broken tile that I'm in
the process of taking out.

I really don't want to paint them again unless I have to, since I 've a
feeling its just going to peel again in a couple of years. Any suggestions
as to what I'm best doing to try and repair scratched tiles?

I'd try a clear sealer. Won't be as good as a glaze but it should
restore the colour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"john royce" wrote in message
The tiled window sill on the front of our house had been painted years ago
and the paint was peeling off.

So although a long job I patiently scraped off all the paint. Then
discovered that a couple had been damaged and just filled with a filler
and painted over.

I'm in the process of removing one. See web pictu

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2rg1jd2&s=5

Stupidly I thought they would clean up well with a carborundum stone, but
soon realized that they were *glazed* and I have now made a right mess of
a couple of them. See the two to the right of the broken tile that I'm
in the process of taking out.

I really don't want to paint them again unless I have to, since I 've a
feeling its just going to peel again in a couple of years. Any
suggestions as to what I'm best doing to try and repair scratched tiles?

What are you replacing the broken ones with? If you have same, replace them
all. WW

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

john royce wrote:
john royce wrote:
[...]

Not to argue, but are you sure they are glazed? Don't look glazed in
the photo. Terra cotta tile is very soft, so you should be able to sand
the scratches with fine grit. I would put a clear glossy varnish if you
want them to look glazed - it will help conceal fine scratches and keep
water out. If you're in a cold climate, sealer might help preserve them
from water freeze/thaw.

I really don't want to paint them again unless I have to, since I 've a
feeling its just going to peel again in a couple of years. Any suggestions
as to what I'm best doing to try and repair scratched tiles?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

" wrote in
m:

Not to argue, but are you sure they are glazed? Don't look glazed in
the photo. Terra cotta tile is very soft, so you should be able to
sand the scratches with fine grit. I would put a clear glossy varnish
if you want them to look glazed - it will help conceal fine scratches
and keep water out. If you're in a cold climate, sealer might help
preserve them from water freeze/thaw.

They didn't look glazed to me either, but they do look scratched now.
Not sure how to repair that. I would suggest that they either be left
alone, or replaced.

As far as water freeze/thaw is concerned, most houses in Holland used to
have terracotta tiles for roofing. They last almost forever, and in
Holland it can get (occasionally) down to 0F. Winter is an almost
constant freeze-thaw.

Of course, your terra cotta may be different from the Dutch variety. The
Dutch word for this kind of rooftile is "dakpan" (roof pan), and a google
search for "dakpannen" (the plural) should give you plenty material.
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"john royce" wrote in message
The tiled window sill on the front of our house had been painted years ago
and the paint was peeling off.

So although a long job I patiently scraped off all the paint. Then
discovered that a couple had been damaged and just filled with a filler
and painted over.

I'm in the process of removing one. See web pictu

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2rg1jd2&s=5

Stupidly I thought they would clean up well with a carborundum stone, but
soon realized that they were *glazed* and I have now made a right mess of
a couple of them. See the two to the right of the broken tile that I'm
in the process of taking out.

I really don't want to paint them again unless I have to, since I 've a
feeling its just going to peel again in a couple of years. Any
suggestions as to what I'm best doing to try and repair scratched tiles?

They look similar to what I know as 'quarry tiles' are they about 6" square?
I bought some last year from Wolsley Builder Centre less than £1 each IIRC.
They have a slightly glazed look to them and I used them inside on a window
ledge as they don't mark when my wife waters her pot plants!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

WW wrote:
"john royce" wrote in message
[...]

I agree. You have to replace one, if you have replacements get some more or
research to find replacements. It is actually easier to replace more than
one in a location because it gives more room to clean up the space so that
you can mortar the new one in. Doing only one makes it cramped to chip out
the old one and the mortar holding it in place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Jul 4, 8:41*am, "john royce" wrote:
The tiled window sill on the front of our house had been painted years ago
and the paint was peeling off.

So although a long job I patiently scraped off all the paint. *Then
discovered that a couple had been damaged and just filled with a filler and
painted over.

I'm in the process of *removing one. * See web pictu

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2rg1jd2&s=5

Stupidly I thought they would clean up well with a carborundum stone, but
soon realized *that they were *glazed* and I have now made a right mess of a
couple of them. * See the two to the right of the broken tile that I'm in
the process of taking out.

I really don't want to paint them again unless I have to, since I 've a
feeling its just going to peel again in a couple of years. * Any suggestions
as to what I'm best doing to try and repair scratched tiles?

depending on how deep the scratches are...........you can use 100,
150, 220, 400 to polish the scratches out and then apply a sealer or
wax.

From my viewing of the photos, the tiles (imo) look like soft
unglazed tile?

cheers
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

depending on how deep the scratches are...........you can use 100,
150, 220, 400 to polish the scratches out and then apply a sealer or
wax.

With a seal to reflect some light, the scratches probably won't show. A
smear of vaseline might be enough

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Han wrote:
" wrote in
m:

Not to argue, but are you sure they are glazed? Don't look glazed in
the photo. Terra cotta tile is very soft, so you should be able to
sand the scratches with fine grit. I would put a clear glossy varnish
if you want them to look glazed - it will help conceal fine scratches
and keep water out. If you're in a cold climate, sealer might help
preserve them from water freeze/thaw.

They didn't look glazed to me either, but they do look scratched now.
Not sure how to repair that. I would suggest that they either be left
alone, or replaced.

OP probably has considered that .. suggesting simplest alternative.

As far as water freeze/thaw is concerned, most houses in Holland used to
have terracotta tiles for roofing. They last almost forever, and in
Holland it can get (occasionally) down to 0F. Winter is an almost
constant freeze-thaw.

The tiles on a windowsill will collect snow, some melt, some seepage
through porous tile, then freeze and crack. Maybe.

Of course, your terra cotta may be different from the Dutch variety. The
Dutch word for this kind of rooftile is "dakpan" (roof pan), and a google
search for "dakpannen" (the plural) should give you plenty material.

I've sanded harder ceramic stuff. Terra cotta is generally a lot softer
than other clays. Most I've seen is Mexican, but I'm no authority.
I've used latex stucco patch to fill defects in masonry (concrete
block). It would be pretty easy to use it to fill in the broken tile
and then paint with a little craft acryllic paint to match the tile.
Ours isn't exposed to freezing, but there is no sign of different
surface once painted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

" wrote in
m:

Han wrote:
" wrote in
m:

[...]

It probably does indeed depend on the particular material and the firing
of the ceramic/brick like material. The material in the OP's picture
should be unaffected, if it is anywhere similar to what I think it is.

Of course, your terra cotta may be different from the Dutch variety.
The Dutch word for this kind of rooftile is "dakpan" (roof pan), and
a google search for "dakpannen" (the plural) should give you plenty
material.

I've sanded harder ceramic stuff. Terra cotta is generally a lot
softer than other clays. Most I've seen is Mexican, but I'm no
authority. I've used latex stucco patch to fill defects in masonry
(concrete block). It would be pretty easy to use it to fill in the
broken tile and then paint with a little craft acryllic paint to match
the tile. Ours isn't exposed to freezing, but there is no sign of
different surface once painted.

I used terra cotta as a generic term. Brick is close as well, I thin.
These clays apparently can be prepared/fired in many different ways to
make them more suitable for particular purposes. I have no idea for
instance why some roofing "tiles" in Holland are eiher red, bright red,
blue-grey, look like glazed, etc. They all seem to last for decades if
not longer. They are NOT slate, which is too expensive (transport) and
difficult to handle.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 4 July, 17:01, Stuart Noble wrote:

I'd try a clear sealer. Won't be as good as a glaze but it should
restore the colour.

Our Victorian gateposts have huge great terracotta pyramids on top of
them,

I've just had great success taking off several layers of peeling paint
with an angle grinder and paint removing disk (pan scourer type).
Finish afterwards was an acrylic stone sealer. It's tricky to get the
surface buffed just right, as the disk will smear given half a chance,
but it looks far better now.

Window Sill tiles scratched with carborundum stone john royce UK diy 13 July 5th 09 02:55 PM
can you repair scratched Marley tiles? martin UK diy 1 October 2nd 07 12:27 PM
Repairing a window sill Dave UK diy 1 June 15th 07 02:24 AM
Window Sill Construction VisionSet UK diy 0 September 1st 06 06:51 PM
What are the led strips below window sill? Rich UK diy 2 August 6th 03 08:54 PM