Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another Asphalt Driveway Question

We live southeast of Phoenix, AZ and presently have no paved driveway. Our
winter temperatures are mild and we get very little percipitation, however
our summer temperatures can easily reach 110-115° F.

Would an asphalt driveway be a very poor choice in this climate? Frankly, we
can't afford a concrete driveway, as the size we need would run over $10K.

Currently the surface is compacted decomposed granite.

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
We live southeast of Phoenix, AZ and presently have no paved driveway. Our
winter temperatures are mild and we get very little percipitation, however
our summer temperatures can easily reach 110-115° F.

Would an asphalt driveway be a very poor choice in this climate? Frankly, we
can't afford a concrete driveway, as the size we need would run over $10K.

Currently the surface is compacted decomposed granite.

TIA

It may be a problem:

http://www.life123.com/home-garden/l...driveway.shtml
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 30 Jun 2009 06:31:03p, Frank told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
We live southeast of Phoenix, AZ and presently have no paved driveway.
Our winter temperatures are mild and we get very little percipitation,
however our summer temperatures can easily reach 110-115° F.

Would an asphalt driveway be a very poor choice in this climate?
Frankly, we can't afford a concrete driveway, as the size we need would
run over $10K.

Currently the surface is compacted decomposed granite.

TIA

It may be a problem:

http://www.life123.com/home-garden/l...e-basics-of-an
-asphalt-driveway.shtml

Thanks, that's the sort of information I was looking for. There is a lot
of asphalt paving in our area (not necessarily driveways), so now I'm
wondering if there may be something special they do the the material in our
area to make it more durable. I think a few calls to local pavers are in
order.

--
Wayne Boatwright
At the end of every diet, the path curves back toward the trough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
We live southeast of Phoenix, AZ and presently have no paved driveway. Our
winter temperatures are mild and we get very little percipitation, however
our summer temperatures can easily reach 110-115° F.

Would an asphalt driveway be a very poor choice in this climate? Frankly, we
can't afford a concrete driveway, as the size we need would run over $10K.

Currently the surface is compacted decomposed granite.

TIA

I'd go with a concrete pad up near the house and carport/garage, and
maybe some concrete out at the road if ruts are a problem there.
Asphalt will be killer hot in summer where you are. For the part of the
driveway that you never stop/start on, is the crushed granite giving you
problems? A concrete entry and a concrete parking pad up at the house,
with gravel in between, is pretty common on rural lots around here where
the house is not up by the road.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

We live southeast of Phoenix, AZ and presently have no paved driveway. Our
winter temperatures are mild and we get very little percipitation, however
our summer temperatures can easily reach 110-115° F.

Would an asphalt driveway be a very poor choice in this climate? Frankly, we
can't afford a concrete driveway, as the size we need would run over $10K.

Currently the surface is compacted decomposed granite.

Very poor choice in nearly all climates actually. Save up for the
concrete, anything else is throwing money away. Asphalt will get far too
hot in your climate, deteriorates quickly, requires annual maintenance
and has a significantly shorter life span than concrete even with annual
maintenance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 30 Jun 2009 07:10:18p, Pete C. told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

We live southeast of Phoenix, AZ and presently have no paved driveway.
Our winter temperatures are mild and we get very little percipitation,
however our summer temperatures can easily reach 110-115° F.

Would an asphalt driveway be a very poor choice in this climate?
Frankly, we can't afford a concrete driveway, as the size we need would
run over $10K.

Currently the surface is compacted decomposed granite.

Very poor choice in nearly all climates actually. Save up for the
concrete, anything else is throwing money away. Asphalt will get far too
hot in your climate, deteriorates quickly, requires annual maintenance
and has a significantly shorter life span than concrete even with annual
maintenance.

Thanks for your comments, Pete. We have too many other financial
priorities to ever accumulate 10K in the foreseeable future. Maybe we'll
just stick with our compacted granite, or think about laying down pavers.
At least the latter would not have to be completed all at once.

--
Wayne Boatwright
I refuse to believe that trading recipes is silly. Tuna fish

Asphalt Driveway Question [email protected] Home Repair 10 July 1st 09 03:02 PM
Asphalt Driveway Dick Adams[_2_] Home Repair 2 March 31st 08 09:05 PM
Asphalt driveway question Shopdog Home Repair 9 May 4th 07 08:46 PM
RE Asphalt Driveway joe Home Repair 1 July 21st 06 10:15 PM
What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway? sams Home Repair 2 December 8th 03 11:38 PM