Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Newbie question on single-handle kitchen faucet...

Mother-in-Law has a kitchen faucet (single handle type, push it up to turn
the water on, to the right for cold, to the left for hot) which has
increasingly reduced it's water flow. Now it's only a drip, practically.
It has the type of dispenser that also acts as a sprayer if you pull it out
of it's socket and push a button on the side. I have taken it apart to the
extent that I had time, and found that the metalic hose which brings the
water to the faucet-end is not delivering any more than a trickle when fully
on, hot/cold or both. Took the ball valve apart and it looked okay, but
something is obviously obstructing the water flow. Thinking, maybe a
sand-trap, but can't figure out where this might be. Could it be in the
body of the faucet "tower," on which the ball valve and handle sits? Any
ideas would be greatly appreciated. Am about to suggest replacing it just
because I can't seem to fix it...

Thanks,

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 10:31*pm, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

You can buy complete rebuild kits for most "modern" faucets.

Figure out what brand it is - and model if possible - and replace the
innards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave wrote:
[...]

Should have mentioned this first...

Are you sure you have water coming to the faucet? Since the problem
appears to be with both the hot and the cold, I'll assume yes, but
stranger things have happened.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
[...]

Well, there is *some* water coming out, even if it is just a dribble, so
there must be some water coming to the faucet, and I figured the problem
must be somewhere in the faucet itself. Guess I could undo the connections,
and test the supply lines. Just can't imagine both supply lines being
equally plugged, but...

Thanks for the input. Will check that out.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thought of that first. It appears to be a lack of water to the
sprayer/faucet end.

Thanks,

Dave

"Don & Lucille" wrote in message
areator?
"Dave" wrote in message
netamerica...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in message
Should have mentioned this first...

Are you sure you have water coming to the faucet? Since the problem
appears to be with both the hot and the cold, I'll assume yes, but
stranger things have happened.

Well, there is *some* water coming out, even if it is just a dribble, so
there must be some water coming to the faucet, and I figured the problem
must be somewhere in the faucet itself. Guess I could undo the
connections, and test the supply lines. Just can't imagine both supply
lines being equally plugged, but...

Thanks for the input. Will check that out.

Dave

What brand of faucet? I have a Moen and had a similar problem. Turned out
to be the cartridge clogged when some carbon got into it from the filter in
the line. Cleaning it helped but it was not back to normal. I flushed the
line and replaced the cartridge (about $10) and it was as good a new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

I'll have to find out what brand. How do you flush the lines out? This
really interests me, as I am wondering if I can somehow flush out the pipes
throughout my house, to restore good waterflow to the bathroom and back
faucet. Or are you saying you flushed the lines in the faucet assembly
(where they attach to the household water lines?)

Many thanks,

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Are you now adding the fact that you have low water pressure to other
areas of the house?

Perhaps this problem is bigger than just the faucet, although a
rebuild kit is still a pretty cheap "test".

If there is sediment/corrosion buildup throughout the plumbing, you
aren't going to be able to "flush it out".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 7:59*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 20, 8:33*am, "Dave" wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

m...

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

I believe he is talking about "his" house and this problem is at the
MIL's.
Isn't there a valve in the body that turns on the sprayer (where the
hose connects) ? Maybe this is stuck?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

==

I believe he is talking about "his" house and this problem is at the
MIL's.
Isn't there a valve in the body that turns on the sprayer (where the
hose connects) ? Maybe this is stuck?
==

You got it, Bob. Two different houses, different problems. The
non-functioning kitchen faucet is at my MIL's, and the low water presser in
the bath/back of the house is at my house.

The sprayer/nozzle of the non-functioning kitchen faucet (at my MIL's) has a
button on the side, but it is not stuck. I have removed that entire part
(sprayer/nozzle) and there is only a trickle coming out hose that would go
to it. Thus, I suspect something elsewhere in the faucet assembly. But
where, I can't figure out.

Many thanks,

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave wrote:
[...]

I've seen O-rings and or Teflon/pipe dope clog up a faucet
assembly when it gets into the line. Some kitchen faucets
have a check valve and or vacuum breaker that could be clogged
or installed backwards.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

If the faucet is old and depending on the condition, another option is
to just replace the whole thing. For the house with low water
pressure in multiple locations, what kind of pipe? In old homes, if
it's galvanized, that pipe builds up increasing blockage over time.
And if that is the cause, there is no easy way to flush it out. It's
time to replace the piping with copper or PEX.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave wrote:
Thought of that first. It appears to be a lack of water to the
sprayer/faucet end.

Thanks,

Dave

"Don & Lucille" wrote in message
areator?
"Dave" wrote in message
netamerica...
[...]

This tread got me thinking about the
el-cheap-o China faucet I put in the
motor home. It has the name Danco. It
has a pull out spout with a button
that converts the aerated flow to spray.
The spray seemed to be ok, but the
aerated flow was weak with no air. I
thought the thing was completely broke,
however, today I again removed the
aerator and took out the screens. It
turns out there were 2 screens stuck
together. The culprit was very fine "dust"
plugging the screens and the other nylon
parts. I had to use compressed air
to remove the stuff. After
re-installation, it worked perfectly. I
was going to
replace the spray head for $20 at
Lowe's. Apparently, this well where I'm
getting water has lots of particulate.
Yesterday I replaced the whole house
filter which was totally clogged. The
fine stuff plugging my faucet must have
been so fine, that it passed through the
whole house filter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My bet is it may not be the faucet but the supply leading to it. Someone
may have mixed a galvanized pipe with copper and the two don't mix. I fixed
a similar problem in my house where they had installed a 6" nipple from the
copper roughed into the wall to the shut-off under the sink. The one for
the hot had corroded to the point I was surprised any water was making to
thru. Replaced both nipples with brass and all is flowing well now.

netamerica...