spot-the-dalmation

Default Replacing single handle tub faucet

Hello:

I need to replace a single handle mohen (20 year old) faucet, mainly
because I am sick of replacing $15 cartridges!

Anyway----I have no access panel behind my wall on the other side. I
do have a tub surround on the faucet side. My question is: Can it be
done from the surround side if I cut a 5 or 6 inch diameter hole in
the surround? I can then cover the hole with the new plate. Is this
possible or do I have to somehow make an access panel to get at the
thing? I don't know if a 5 or 6 inch hole will do it----give me enough
room to change it.

thx for any info.
Speedy Jim

spot-the-dalmation wrote:

Hello:

I need to replace a single handle mohen (20 year old) faucet, mainly
because I am sick of replacing $15 cartridges!

Anyway----I have no access panel behind my wall on the other side. I
do have a tub surround on the faucet side. My question is: Can it be
done from the surround side if I cut a 5 or 6 inch diameter hole in
the surround? I can then cover the hole with the new plate. Is this
possible or do I have to somehow make an access panel to get at the
thing? I don't know if a 5 or 6 inch hole will do it----give me enough
room to change it.

thx for any info.

Bite the bullet; cut a *big* access hole on the other side.
You'll be soldering with a torch or swinging wrenches and
you ain't gonna do it working thru a tiny incision in the tile.

Jim
spot-the-dalmation

Speedy Jim wrote in message ...
spot-the-dalmation wrote:

Hello:

I need to replace a single handle mohen (20 year old) faucet, mainly
because I am sick of replacing $15 cartridges!

Anyway----I have no access panel behind my wall on the other side. I
do have a tub surround on the faucet side. My question is: Can it be
done from the surround side if I cut a 5 or 6 inch diameter hole in
the surround? I can then cover the hole with the new plate. Is this
possible or do I have to somehow make an access panel to get at the
thing? I don't know if a 5 or 6 inch hole will do it----give me enough
room to change it.

thx for any info.

Bite the bullet; cut a *big* access hole on the other side.
You'll be soldering with a torch or swinging wrenches and
you ain't gonna do it working thru a tiny incision in the tile.

Jim

Hey, Jim:

thx for your reply.

well---I cut a hole and created a panel in the back---but,
alas---there is a cross member in the way---I can't replace from the
back.

so----should I attempt a front replacement----I have about a 5 or 6"
hole and it appears it can be done. Any sugesstions? Should I maybe
hire a pro? Have you ever done it this way?

thx again
ameijers

"spot-the-dalmation" wrote in message
om...
Speedy Jim wrote in message

spot-the-dalmation wrote:

(snip)

Hey, Jim:

thx for your reply.

well---I cut a hole and created a panel in the back---but,
alas---there is a cross member in the way---I can't replace from the
back.

so----should I attempt a front replacement----I have about a 5 or 6"
hole and it appears it can be done. Any sugesstions? Should I maybe
hire a pro? Have you ever done it this way?

Uh, is that cross member narrow-side up, or wide-side up? If narrow side up,
it was probably put there by the plumber when he was doing the rough-in,
to hold the faucet casting. The bronze casting is probably screwed or nailed
to it, and there is probably a matching one a few feet up to hold shower
elbow.

Take a saw and cut the nails holding the block in place. If feed pipes are
threaded rather than brazed on your faucet, and you don't want to cut and
patch the feed lines, you may have to cut the block up to expose the faucet.
This is what sawzalls were invented for- cutting stuff up inside a hole.
When you put new faucet in, make a new block, attach faucet to it, and
toenail or screw'n'bracket it into place after you position and connect the
faucet. Yes, your access hole needs to be across a full stud space. (Your
situation is a good example of why tub faucets should never be on outside
wall, or against hallway wall. Almost always there is a way to make it back
up on a linen closet or bedroom closet, where a big honking access panel is
a non-event. )

aem sends.....

spot-the-dalmation

Speedy Jim wrote in message

[...]