Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Questions About Dowsing For Water

I need to drill a new well and would like to use a dowser.

(I am a believer in dowsing, and I can do a little of it myself.)

Two questions:

1. We have aquifers at the 75 foot level, and my dowser 25 years ago
found one easily, but we have a nitrate problem, and we need to go for
the larger flows which are between 100 and 250 feet.

Can dowsers "see through" the shallow aquifers and find the deeper,
larger resources?

2. Does anyone have suggestions for how I can find a dowser in the
Kingston/Poulsbo/Silverdale area of Kitsap County, State of Washington?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Dwight Gibb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:18:39 -0700, Dwight
wrote:

I need to drill a new well and would like to use a dowser.

(I am a believer in dowsing, and I can do a little of it myself.)

Two questions:

1. We have aquifers at the 75 foot level, and my dowser 25 years ago
found one easily, but we have a nitrate problem, and we need to go for
the larger flows which are between 100 and 250 feet.

Can dowsers "see through" the shallow aquifers and find the deeper,
larger resources?

2. Does anyone have suggestions for how I can find a dowser in the
Kingston/Poulsbo/Silverdale area of Kitsap County, State of Washington?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Dwight Gibb

Every time dowsers have been actually tested under controlled
conditions they have failed completely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Listermann wrote:
I have heard of a million dollar prize for someone who can prove they
can do this sort of thing. It is still unclaimed.

"At JREF [James Randi Educational Foundation], we offer a one-million-dollar
prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of
any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event."

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

And the list of those who have recently applied is a hoot and includes:

* Breast abnormality detection (Heck, I can do that!)
* Subluxation detection
* Dowser
* Swedish friend of the dead
* Paranormal urination
* Dowsing for the dead
* Shimmering leaf inventor

Just for example, a recent applicant says she can locate a Russian man in a
brightly-painted box. The box is to be placed in a room (like a warehouse)
with 20 similar boxes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 11:18*pm, Dwight wrote:
I need to drill a new well and would like to use a dowser.

(I am a believer in dowsing, and I can do a little of it myself.)

Two questions:

1. We have aquifers at the 75 foot level, and my dowser 25 years ago
found one easily, but we have a nitrate problem, and we need to go for
the larger flows which are between 100 and 250 feet.

Can dowsers "see through" the shallow aquifers and find the deeper,
larger resources?

2. Does anyone have suggestions for how I can find a dowser in the
Kingston/Poulsbo/Silverdale area of Kitsap County, State of Washington?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Dwight Gibb

Call in the tooth fairy while you're at it

Posted to alt.home.repair

My theory water is almopst everywhere, provided you dig deep enough.

So dowsers work because its hard to fail

This theory was a buddies who drilled some water wells with a deeprock
type machine
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Dan Listermann wrote:
[...]

Paranormal urination?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dwight" wrote in message
I need to drill a new well and would like to use a dowser.

(I am a believer in dowsing, and I can do a little of it myself.)

Two questions:

1. We have aquifers at the 75 foot level, and my dowser 25 years ago
found one easily, but we have a nitrate problem, and we need to go for
the larger flows which are between 100 and 250 feet.

Can dowsers "see through" the shallow aquifers and find the deeper,
larger resources?

2. Does anyone have suggestions for how I can find a dowser in the
Kingston/Poulsbo/Silverdale area of Kitsap County, State of Washington?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Dwight Gibb

Where I live we are still kinda backwards and ignorant (Southern California)
and everyone I know that got a good well drilled used a well witcher. Most
of them used the same guy. The one person I know who paid a lot of money
for a "scientific" water locater got a pathetic well (1 1/2 gpm). When the
witcher was here I tried using the magic wands (two bronze welding rods bent
at 90 degrees, one in each hand) and when you cross over a good spot the
wands will spread apart, then cross over each other, then spread apart again
(maybe it was vice versa--been a while) so it IS doing something. My
attititude towards the whole thing is just because scientists can't explain
it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. OTOH maybe you could simply drill
anywhere around here and hit good water. My suggestion is to talk to your
neighbors about their wells and find out who drilled it and go with the
driller who has drilled the best wells. Around here everyone agrees on who
is the best well driller. The guy down the road didn't use him and went
with someone who charged less and it took about 5-6 weeks and he got a lousy
well. I don't know if he hired a witcher. My well took 1 1/2 days to
drill. The guy next door decided to pay more and go deeper after finding
good water (hoping for more water I guess) and ended up with about the same
flow rate and quality that he could have gotten for less. In your case it
sounds like deeper would be better. I don't know if the witchers can find
two aquifers on top of each other but my guess is that simply by going
deeper you would hit the lower one. Ask your local driller and he can
probably give you a good idea but of course they can't guarantee anything.
He should also be able to recommend a good witcher/dowser. I don't know of
anyone who used a witcher and DIDN'T get a good well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ulysses wrote:

"Dwight" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks. Your experience matches mine.

One problem is that some well drillers generally dont like dowsers -
feel that they get in the way.

I will keep looking.

Best,

Dwight

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 12:24*pm, Dwight wrote:

One problem is that some well drillers generally dont like dowsers -
feel that they get in the *way.

Now why would someone who is paid by the foot object to someone
finding something nearer the surface?

I have no experience with dowsing and thus no opinion, but I was born
under a skeptical star.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 11:24*am, Dwight wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
"Dwight" wrote in message

[...]

Dwight- Hide quoted text -

They work the same as a ouija. (only one person using each side, or
personality of his brain to control the out-come)
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ulysses wrote:
... I don't know of
anyone who used a witcher and DIDN'T get a good well.

Which observation, of course, is under the category of "correlation does
not imply causation"...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Perhaps you could run an add in the local paper asking for the help of
a Dowser or Water Witch.
The differences between the two are that the Dowser can only find
water, while the Water Witch can find water and cast a few spells on
it to ensure the water is both pure and ever flowing.

Also, IMHE, older well diggers in rural areas all seem to be able to
dowse. Whether it is a gimmick, they can really do it or just think
they can, I don't know. But I can tell you that their butts are not
really that cold. Be careful about mentioning Water Witches to the
Dowsers in the rural settings. There is a big riveralry between the
two - I think it started from the WW's effort to unionize.

Surry it that was too cheeky.
I intended no malice.
Bonnie Peeb

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:30:15 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jun 18, 12:24*pm, Dwight wrote:

One problem is that some well drillers generally dont like dowsers -
feel that they get in the *way.

Now why would someone who is paid by the foot object to someone
finding something nearer the surface?

I have no experience with dowsing and thus no opinion, but I was born
under a skeptical star.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Ulysses wrote:
... I don't know of
anyone who used a witcher and DIDN'T get a good well.

Which observation, of course, is under the category of "correlation does
not imply causation"...

That's too complicated, which is why you so often hear "Since we invaded
Iraq, there've been no attacks on the U.S. mainland." There will always be
an audience for correlation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The National Ground Water Association, though, dismisses the idea of
water dowsing as "totally without scientific merit" and recommends
instead "the use of proven hydrogeological and geophysical techniques
for groundwater reconnaissance when its presence is not easily
recognizable by drilling contractors"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:33:37 -0700 (PDT), mike
wrote:

The National Ground Water Association, though, dismisses the idea of
water dowsing as "totally without scientific merit" and recommends
instead "the use of proven hydrogeological and geophysical techniques
for groundwater reconnaissance when its presence is not easily
recognizable by drilling contractors"

Dateline Hendersen, NV.

Time to hook the NG lines for the only house on the street. Also
install the house meter.

Curb was marked for the gas line stub. Backhoe and shovel crew could
not find the line. Call the boss: Eventually he pulled some metal wire
from the site dumpster Started his search for the metallic line.
Decides, it is "here". WRONG!

So he calls the guy with the tools. The tech showed up and ask the
crew boss to move his truck.

The gas line was 30 feet from where the curb mark was.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jun 18, 10:16*am, "Ulysses" wrote:

When the witcher was here I tried using the magic
wands (two bronze welding rods bent
at 90 degrees, one in each hand) and when you cross over a good spot the
wands will spread apart, then cross over each other, then spread apart again
(maybe it was vice versa--been a while) so it IS doing something.

No, no. That method is for finding water lines, pipes, and telephone
cables. The correct method for dowsing is to use a very limber willow
branch shaped like a long wishbone, with the point up and the 2
branches held in each hand with your palms rotated outward. As you
walk over the correct spot, the willow point will rotate from up to
down. Have done it many many times with the willow always indicating
the same spot and not random as one might expect. I admit I never dug
a well to prove it was correct, but it was uncanny how the willow
always reacted to the same spot.

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to drill a new well and would like to use a dowser.

Dwight Gibb

In real life, I believe you will find that the good ones
knowingly or unknowingly use clues as to the proper location and that
knowledge results in a higher than random results.

I broke trough a plastic gas line from the street to my home
once. I called the gas company and they came out and were looking for
the shutoff valve. The first guy could not find it using the
electronic finder they had. He called in his boss who had a different
finder, but it was dead, so he took two welding rods, bent them and
dowsed his way around my lot until he found the shutoff valve.

I don't know if the other guy believed him, but when I
cornered him he explained how he did it. They put a small current
through a wire that is installed with the plastic pipe and it makes a
very small magnetic field that those welding rods in the right hands
can detect. He also told me what I needed to patch the pipe and where
to get it, saving me a fair amount of money. He was a nice guy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 4:56*pm, Red wrote:
[...]

Hmm willow trees do like very wet soil and often grow on the edges of
lakes.

In my old house my main drain line out to the street was collapsed
(clay tile old house). It needed to be dug up and repaired. The
plumber came out with a dowser to find the line. He found it, dug
down by hand (6 feet deep 3 days of digging). Repaired the line.
This was in 1984, the plumber took the job because of a bad economy
but he did not own a backhoe, I was impressed but did start to feel
pretty sorry for him digging every day in my front lawn. He mentioned
he was an ex-convict getting back on his feet, had no problem digging
up a line by hand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ulysses wrote:

My
attititude towards the whole thing is just because scientists can't explain
it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. OTOH maybe you could simply drill
anywhere around here and hit good water.

Tell the witcher about the million dollar challenge - in an early post
by HeyBub. No need to explain how it works, you just have to demonstrate
you have the ability. Maybe the witcher will give you $100,000 as a
finders fee when he wins.

A friend has a cabin and had to replace his septic system about a month
ago, which under current regs had to be much different. I was there for
the install. The contractor didn't get a locate on the underground high
voltage cables (dumb) and did not want to dig-into them. He had a local
witcher locate them. The contractor hand dug a trench across the path to
get an exact position where the cable crossed the drainfield pipe. He
didn't find it. He wound up digging down to the cable over a 50 foot
length away from the utility pole where the cables came up. The path was
completely different from what the witcher plotted (and away from the
septic system). The high voltage cable was in one location, unlike aquifers.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Perhaps you could run an add in the local paper asking for the help of
a Dowser or Water Witch.
The differences between the two are that the Dowser can only find
water, while the Water Witch can find water and cast a few spells on
it to ensure the water is both pure and ever flowing.

Also, IMHE, older well diggers in rural areas all seem to be able to
dowse. Whether it is a gimmick, they can really do it or just think
they can, I don't know. But I can tell you that their butts are not
really that cold. Be careful about mentioning Water Witches to the
Dowsers in the rural settings. There is a big riveralry between the
two - I think it started from the WW's effort to unionize.

I'd better be more careful what I say ;-) OP said dowsers but around here
they're called witchers so I'd better get it straight. Meanwhile, the spell
that my witcher cast seems to be working as the water is crystal clear and
the well never goes dry. Maybe it was the tip I gave him go get something
for his horse (long story). I am one of the most skeptical people alive and
well witchers sounded to me like a bunch of horse****, but I know enough to
know I don't know everything. I didn't believe in mental telepathy either
until I had a dog that communicated with me by putting images and ideas in
my head. Now that I'm open to the idea I have another dog that tries but I
guess we are not on the same frequency. I also did not believe in angels
until I saw one. If I live long enough I might even believe in Obama.

My driller actually recommended a witcher and that's who I went with.
Around here if you want a good well you call the one specific driller. If
you want to gamble you call someone else. Same thing with getting a pump
installed.

wrote:

On Jun 18, 12:24 pm, Dwight wrote:

One problem is that some well drillers generally dont like dowsers -
feel that they get in the way.

Now why would someone who is paid by the foot object to someone
finding something nearer the surface?

I have no experience with dowsing and thus no opinion, but I was born
under a skeptical star.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote in message
[...]

I must be confusing witching and dowsing again. I didn't have any pipes,
power lines, phone wires, etc. I've never tried the willow but I remember
Walter Brennon using one on The Real McCoys quite a few years back. What do
dowsers use if there are no willows in the area? Buy one on eBay? I have
some trees down by my creek that might be some kind of willow. I guess I'd
better look up what they are so I can make a divining wand or rod or
whatever they are called. That reminds me--I found a very strong signal
with the welding rods and was thinking of making a long drill with a 2"
arbor bit and see if I hit anything. The bushes in that area stay very
green when there is a drought.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It rains so much in Washington state, I would challenge anyone to NOT find
water anywhere!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I regularly find water lines and electric lines with two pieces of baling
wire. You can either do it or not. If you can do it, you do it. If you
can't, you whine that it's fake and others cannot do it.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 9:03*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
I regularly find water lines and electric lines with two pieces of baling
wire. *You can either do it or not. *If you can do it, you do it. *If you
can't, you whine that it's fake and others cannot do it.

HTH

Steve

Years ago when I was in the AIr Force a couple of felllow airmen and I
tried to locate a 25 pair telephone cable that ws buried under an
asphalt parking lot. We never could find the cable because with every
other step I took the copper wires would cross and we would mark the
spots they crossed on the asphalt. This led to some frustration so we
got a CE guy to bring out a cable locator to find the cable. No
problem but we did have to wait about 3 hours for him to come over. A
few weeks later the adventure into dowsing was all but forgotten when
the grass was cut around the parking lot revealing drainage tiles that
coincide with the marks we made on the pavement.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 7:59*pm, windcrest wrote:
On Jun 18, 4:56*pm, Red wrote:

[...]

up a line by hand.- Hide quoted text -

I often wonder if any of the skeptics have actually tried using a
couple bent wires. They work for me but I don't base any decisions on
what they inidicate without other evidence supporting them. From
tests of a few neighbors, friedns and family it seems that they work
for at least half of anyone who tries it.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

I often wonder if any of the skeptics have actually tried using a
couple bent wires. They work for me but I don't base any
decisions on what they inidicate without other evidence supporting
them. From tests of a few neighbors, friedns and family it seems
that they work for at least half of anyone who tries it.
Harry K

I am a skeptic, but in 1972 when I lived on a farm we had a dowser come
tell us where a drain pipe went, and he located it for us. When he
left, I picked up his sticks and walked back over his path, and the
sticks did seem to dip at the right spot. I have no idea if this is an
undiscovered science, or suggestion, but it worked, and I am not
gullible about these things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , harry k wrote:

I often wonder if any of the skeptics have actually tried using a
couple bent wires. They work for me

Then contact the James Randi Educational Foundation
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
and claim your million dollars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bert Byfield" wrote in message
7.131...
I often wonder if any of the skeptics have actually tried using a
couple bent wires. They work for me but I don't base any
decisions on what they inidicate without other evidence supporting
them. From tests of a few neighbors, friedns and family it seems
that they work for at least half of anyone who tries it.
Harry K

I am a skeptic, but in 1972 when I lived on a farm we had a dowser come
tell us where a drain pipe went, and he located it for us. When he
left, I picked up his sticks and walked back over his path, and the
sticks did seem to dip at the right spot. I have no idea if this is an
undiscovered science, or suggestion, but it worked, and I am not
gullible about these things.

I can take a tin can lid, a piece of plate, or most any metal object, and
the wires will cross when I walk over the object. This does not explain
water in a PVC pipe, but I've used it for years.

One time, we were quail hunting, and I went with some Mormon friends. I
dowsed a water line that flowed to a corral, and it was rumored that there
was a break 500 yds north where quail congregated. When he saw me do it, I
wasn't sure if he was going to allow me back in his truck for the 90 mile
trip home. My other friend did some heavy talking, but he thought for sure
I was something demonic. But normal people have that reaction sometimes,
too. Is there something about me?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "SteveB" wrote:

I can take a tin can lid, a piece of plate, or most any metal object, and
the wires will cross when I walk over the object. This does not explain
water in a PVC pipe, but I've used it for years.

Uh-huh. Sure. Suggest you contact the James Randi Educational Foundation
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
and claim your million dollars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

About ten years ago I worked on a project removing underground fuel
storage tanks and checking for contamination for a small city or big
village sized area.

In the process I ended up drilling a couple hundred wells, logging the
soils, and measuring the depth to water.

At the end of that time, I could go anywhere in the area and just by
looking at the terrain, tell you what depth I'd hit water and what
acquifer.

If I'd been a dowser, I'd have been sure I was doing it with the
sticks. But it was just experience and local knowledge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 6:52*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , harry k wrote:

I often wonder if any of the skeptics have actually tried using a
couple bent wires. *They work for me

Then contact the James Randi Educational Foundation
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
and claim your million dollars.

So have _you_ actually tried it?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , harry k wrote:

I often wonder if any of the skeptics have actually tried using a
couple bent wires. *They work for me

Then contact the James Randi Educational Foundation
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
and claim your million dollars.

So have _you_ actually tried it?

Harry K

I remember a test being done on a college campus where students were
to find a copper rod using dowzing. The rod was placed randomly at 10
different places along a path and it was found 30% of the time. That
wouldnt get you Randi's million dollars but it would break a casino
bank.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , harry k wrote:
On Jun 20, 6:52=A0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article =

..com, harry k wrote:

I often wonder if any of the skeptics have actually tried using a
couple bent wires. =A0They work for me

Then contact the James Randi Educational Foundation
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
and claim your million dollars.

So have _you_ actually tried it?

Beside the point. You have; you claim it works. Prove it, and you're an
instant millionaire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , harry k wrote:

I often wonder if any of the skeptics have actually tried using a
couple bent wires. They work for me

Then contact the James Randi Educational Foundation
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
and claim your million dollars.

So have _you_ actually tried it?

Harry K

the landscape company i used to work for used the method several times a
week to find irrigation lines when no plan was available. It does work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

..com, harry k wrote:

I often wonder if any of the skeptics have actually tried using a
couple bent wires. =A0They work for me

Then contact the James Randi Educational Foundation
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
and claim your million dollars.

So have _you_ actually tried it?

Beside the point. You have; you claim it works. Prove it, and you're an
instant millionaire.

First off, read what I wrote earlier. I don't "claim it works" as in
"finds stuff". That the rods do move is a simple demonstration and as
I said at least 1/2 of the people trying it will find they move on
their own...at least if they are infulenced by the guy holding them it
can't be detected...at least I can't.

Have I found stuff using the rods? Yes, but there were other clues
to the the locations.

2 wells - proven by drilling - meaningless as here you can hit water
almost anyplace.

Septic tank lines for a neighbor. I knew where the tank was but not
where the field lay. Dowsed 2 lines correctly - meaningless as that
was the only logical place for the field.

Water line traced 1/4 mile to an old school house. Dug at schoolhouse
end to fnd that the line entered 180 degrees from where the rods said.

My own septic tank - but then I knew the general location.

etc. etc. etc. and at the end of the day the RODS WILL MOVE. Do they
correctly show what I am looking for? Sometimes

Color me as a 'half skeptic'

You are claiming the rods don't show anything but are unwilling to try
it yourself apparently.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , harry k wrote:

I often wonder if any of the skeptics have actually tried using a
couple bent wires. *They work for me
Then contact the James Randi Educational Foundation
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
and claim your million dollars.

So have _you_ actually tried it?

Harry K

the landscape company i used to work for used the method several times a
week to find irrigation lines when no plan was available. *It does work..

No amount of cases of it working is going to convince Doug. He knows
what he knows and apparently is not about to even try it.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

the landscape company i used to work for used the method several times a
week to find irrigation lines when no plan was available. It does work.

How can that be? It has been stated here by people who are never wrong that
it doesn't work. I'm confused.

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "SteveB" wrote:

the landscape company i used to work for used the method several times a
week to find irrigation lines when no plan was available. It does work.

How can that be? It has been stated here by people who are never wrong that
it doesn't work. I'm confused.

Don't think I ever said it doesn't work... but I will say that there is no
evidence that it does. Anyone who thinks otherwise has only to demonstrate it,
under controlled conditions, to become an instant millionaire.

It's been at least twenty years... and James Randi still has his million
dollars.

Hot Water Questions SteveC Home Repair 9 February 13th 08 11:20 AM
Well Water Tank Questions Dimitrios Paskoudniakis Home Repair 4 January 6th 07 07:35 PM
Dowsing Mary Fisher UK diy 349 August 2nd 06 07:58 PM
Water Softener Questions [email protected] Home Repair 2 May 8th 06 09:13 AM
Well water and softner questions Rileyesi Home Repair 4 October 26th 04 06:00 AM