Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Clothes Dryer Problem

Our ten year old electric dryer isn't working. The light inside comes
on, but nothing happens when we push the button to start drying.

A month or two ago, one of the two power fuses blew. Replacing the
fuse got the dryer working again. This time, neither fuse is blown,
and 240 volts is being supplied to the cable going to the dryer.

What is the most like culprit? The heating element?

Thanks,
Art Harris

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Harris wrote:
Our ten year old electric dryer isn't working. The light inside comes
on, but nothing happens when we push the button to start drying.

A month or two ago, one of the two power fuses blew. Replacing the
fuse got the dryer working again. This time, neither fuse is blown,
and 240 volts is being supplied to the cable going to the dryer.

What is the most like culprit? The heating element?

Thanks,
Art Harris

Does it have a fluff setting? Will the drum turn on that setting?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Harris" wrote in message
Our ten year old electric dryer isn't working. The light inside comes
on, but nothing happens when we push the button to start drying.

A month or two ago, one of the two power fuses blew. Replacing the
fuse got the dryer working again. This time, neither fuse is blown,
and 240 volts is being supplied to the cable going to the dryer.

What is the most like culprit? The heating element?

Thanks,
Art Harris

Likely not the heating element. Even if it's bad, drum should turn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 2:23*pm, Art Harris wrote:
Our ten year old electric dryer isn't working. The light inside comes
on, but nothing happens when we push the button to start drying.e

A month or two ago, one of the two power fuses blew. Replacing the
fuse got the dryer working again. This time, neither fuse is blown,
and 240 volts is being supplied to the cable going to the dryer.

What is the most like culprit? The heating element?

Thanks,
Art Harris

If you hear no noise at all when you push the button, I would suspect
either the loading door switch is bad or the units start relay behind
the button. There is a possibility that a 240v. incoming power wire
burnt off of the junction block inside the Dryer and/or it is not
making good contact. If youre going to start pulling your Dryer apart
to troubleshoot it, be sure and unplug it first. Give us an update
in this thread, once its fixed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:23:50 -0700 (PDT), Art Harris
wrote:

Our ten year old electric dryer isn't working. The light inside comes
on, but nothing happens when we push the button to start drying.

A month or two ago, one of the two power fuses blew. Replacing the
fuse got the dryer working again. This time, neither fuse is blown,
and 240 volts is being supplied to the cable going to the dryer.

What is the most like culprit? The heating element?

Thanks,
Art Harris

Quite recently my Whirlpool oldish dryer did the same thing (would NOT
start). I disassembled the console and took the timer apart. The
contacts in the timer assembly were both dirty and not tensioned. So
I used circuit/contact cleaner on them and tweaked them with pliers.
Then a test and all worked well again. Of course, the unit was
unplugged during this repair.

A replacement timer was listed at $189 and at the age of the dryer the
part wouldn't be worth it. But I got it going for zero cost.

Try wiggling the timer shaft to see if that makes a different. If
that starts it, then try my method.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Door safety switch comes to mind. Also, there are a couple
thermal cut outs inside, on top of the drum and along the
air flow. Not sure if they would cut out the drum motor,
also. Or just the heat.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Art Harris" wrote in message
Our ten year old electric dryer isn't working. The light
inside comes
on, but nothing happens when we push the button to start
drying.

A month or two ago, one of the two power fuses blew.
Replacing the
fuse got the dryer working again. This time, neither fuse is
blown,
and 240 volts is being supplied to the cable going to the
dryer.

What is the most like culprit? The heating element?

Thanks,
Art Harris

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Art Harris" wrote in message

Our ten year old electric dryer isn't working. The light
inside comes
on, but nothing happens when we push the button to start
drying.

A month or two ago, one of the two power fuses blew.
Replacing the
fuse got the dryer working again. This time, neither fuse is
blown,
and 240 volts is being supplied to the cable going to the
dryer.

What is the most like culprit? The heating element?

Thanks,
Art Harris

Drum motor runs on 120V in most cases, have you put a voltmeter on the
drum motor leads???
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

At ten years I'd bet on the belt having broken. With no tension on the
belt the dafety switch shuts everything down except the light.

About a $17 part and a half hour of work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A month or two ago, one of the two power fuses blew. Replacing the
fuse got the dryer working again. This time, neither fuse is blown,
and 240 volts is being supplied to the cable going to the dryer.

_________________
www.shopdownlite.com/tommy_bahama_bedding.php

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Clothes Dryer Problem Fixed. Thanks!

wrote:

At ten years I'd bet on the belt having broken. With no tension on the
belt the dafety switch shuts everything down except the light.

About a $17 part and a half hour of work.- Hide quoted text -

You got it! My son and I got the dryer open enough to see that the
belt was broken. Then I ordered the belt and a "Do It Yourself" manual
from Sears.

It was more than a half hour of work for us (a lot of disassembly),
but we got it working again. Don't think we could have done it without
the manual. If it happens again in another ten years I'll be ready!

Thanks to all who helped.

Art Harris
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Harris wrote:
wrote:
At ten years I'd bet on the belt having broken. With no tension on the
belt the dafety switch shuts everything down except the light.

About a $17 part and a half hour of work.- Hide quoted text -

You got it! My son and I got the dryer open enough to see that the
belt was broken. Then I ordered the belt and a "Do It Yourself" manual
from Sears.

It was more than a half hour of work for us (a lot of disassembly),
but we got it working again. Don't think we could have done it without
the manual. If it happens again in another ten years I'll be ready!

Thanks to all who helped.

Art Harris

Thanks for telling us the result:-))
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:56:35 -0700 (PDT), Art Harris

At ten years I'd bet on the belt having broken. With no tension on the
belt the dafety switch shuts everything down except the light.

About a $17 part and a half hour of work.- Hide quoted text -

You got it! My son and I got the dryer open enough to see that the
belt was broken. Then I ordered the belt and a "Do It Yourself" manual
from Sears.

It was more than a half hour of work for us (a lot of disassembly),
but we got it working again. Don't think we could have done it without
the manual. If it happens again in another ten years I'll be ready!

Thanks to all who helped.

Art Harris

The first one took me a bit longer than a half hour too - but the
second and third time considerably less.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Harris wrote:
wrote:
At ten years I'd bet on the belt having broken. With no tension on the
belt the dafety switch shuts everything down except the light.

About a $17 part and a half hour of work.- Hide quoted text -

You got it! My son and I got the dryer open enough to see that the
belt was broken. Then I ordered the belt and a "Do It Yourself" manual
from Sears.

It was more than a half hour of work for us (a lot of disassembly),
but we got it working again. Don't think we could have done it without
the manual. If it happens again in another ten years I'll be ready!

Thanks to all who helped.

Art Harris

Hi,
How nice of you, giving us feedback. Thanks.

Move Electric Clothes Dryer JacksonD Home Repair 5 July 15th 08 12:21 AM
Ventless Electric Clothes Dryer Smarty Home Repair 7 May 20th 08 01:28 PM
Squeaking GE Electric Clothes Dryer The Ranger Home Repair 1 February 25th 08 08:49 PM
Old Maytag electric clothes dryer. [email protected] Electronics Repair 9 January 29th 08 12:49 AM
Electric clothes dryer Jim Home Repair 2 August 7th 05 11:11 PM