Posted to alt.home.repair
bobmct[_2_] bobmct[_2_] is offline

Default Electric Clothes Dryer Problem

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:23:50 -0700 (PDT), Art Harris
wrote:

Our ten year old electric dryer isn't working. The light inside comes
on, but nothing happens when we push the button to start drying.

A month or two ago, one of the two power fuses blew. Replacing the
fuse got the dryer working again. This time, neither fuse is blown,
and 240 volts is being supplied to the cable going to the dryer.

What is the most like culprit? The heating element?

Thanks,
Art Harris

Quite recently my Whirlpool oldish dryer did the same thing (would NOT
start). I disassembled the console and took the timer apart. The
contacts in the timer assembly were both dirty and not tensioned. So
I used circuit/contact cleaner on them and tweaked them with pliers.
Then a test and all worked well again. Of course, the unit was
unplugged during this repair.

A replacement timer was listed at $189 and at the age of the dryer the
part wouldn't be worth it. But I got it going for zero cost.

Try wiggling the timer shaft to see if that makes a different. If
that starts it, then try my method.

Good luck.