Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finding Storm Door Replacement Frame and Glass?? HELP!!!

Hello everyone,

I am new to the group, and need some help ASAP!! I need to know where I
might be able to find a frame and tempered glass for a storm door??

Here is the situation. When I moved into the home I am currently living
in 6 years ago, there were 2 storms doors already installed on the
house. One on the back door, and one on the front porch.

The doors are both the same design, even though the front storm door is
wider than the back storm door.

Anyway as I said, when we moved in, the doors were already installed,
and the back storm door has the "tempered glass", and the front storm
door had he screen installed on it. Well, when we moved in, we noticed
that the "tempered glass" for the front storm door, was nowhere to be
found.

So basically we are stuck leaving the screen in all year round, and in
the winter, all the cold air comes onto the enclosed porch, but now
there is a bigger problem.

Our indoor male kitty that we just got a few months ago likes to go out
on the porch during the day to sit in the sun, or look out the window at
the birds. Well, a stray cat has been hanging around our house, and our
kitty has been jumping up and hanging from the screen on the front storm
door making holes in it.

Well, this morning he actually tore a big hole right in the middle of
the screen about 8 inches by 8 inches, and he jumped out of the hole and
got lose! Luckily I was able to grab him, right before he ran into the
road in front of oncoming cars!!!

So now we have a huge hole in the screen, and no "tempered glass frame"
to put there?? I called a couple of hardware stores, and they all told
me the same thing, and that was #1, I NEED the ORIGINAL frame, and #2
"Tempered Glass, needs to be special ordered, and it would take about 3
weeks to special order it.

When I asked them how long it would take to fix the screen, they said
that would be a few weeks as well, because it is now late spring/early
summer, and alot of people are having their screens repaired at this
time.

So right now, I just have some duck tape on there for now, but its not
holding to good. If I take the screen off to be repaired, there will be
nothing to put there, and the door will basically be wide open!!

I looked all over the door to try to find out what brand/manufacturer it
is, but there is NOTHING on the door at all. There is no name or
anything on the front or rear storm door, so I don't know who made it??

I measured the size of the "screen frame" on the front door, and the
size is 30 5/8 wide by 37 5/8 length.

The back storm door has the "tempered glass" and frame, but it is only
27 inches wide by 37 long, so switching them is no good!!

I looked at the frame in the back door with the tempered glass, and
basically all it is, is 4 white pieces of plastic with a groove in the
middle for the "tempered glass" to slide in and out of. The 4 plastic
sides just "slide" onto the tempered glass, until the 4 corners touch
each other. And the frame is held in place by little "silver clips" that
you just screw in to tighten, and unscrew to loosen.

Also, on the rear storm door, there is something written on the bottom
corner of the "tempered glass" that read "Guardian Corporation -
Webster, Mass." 1976 or 1978, I can't tell which.

So I tried looking up this "Guardian" from Webster, Mass., and I did
find a place after searching on Google, but I think that "Guardian" is
the company that made the tempered glass, and not the door.

The only thing I know about the door itself, is that it is made of thin
alumunuim, and it is the "crossbuck" design, that has the big "X" in the
middle of it, and it is the type of door where you have to remove the
whole frame in the spring and winter when you want to change it ( not a
self-storing door ).

So can anyone help me out, and tell me how I might be able to find a
replacement frame for this door, so that I can put the tempered glass
there?? As I said above, the frame on the back door looks pretty simple.
All it seems to be is 4 white plastic pieces with grooves in the middle,
to slide onto all 4 sides of the tempered glass.

Plus, if I can find the frame pieces like that, how much do you think it
would be to "special order" tempered glass that is 30 5/8 by 37 5/8??

The guy at the hardware store told me that I need to have the ORIGINAL
frame though??? When I told hime that its only 4 pieces of plastic that
slide on, he said he couldn't help me, and that there was NOTHING he
could do!! He told me to just go out and buy a whole new storm door.

Can anyone here help me out, and give me some info.on where I might be
able to find this type of frame and glass???

ANY help and info. will GREATLY be appreciated!!!!!

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

MICHELLE H. wrote:
... I need to know where I
might be able to find a frame and tempered glass for a storm door??

Glass repair shop or window/door retailer. Either should have no
problem making the right size frame. They'll need the proper dimensions
of the frame--I'd suggest taking the one you do have as a sample w/ the
dimensions taken consistently to the other door of how that one fits the
existing location.

As for a temporary, cut a piece of cardboard or similar to cover the
opening. Even a piece of a shower curtain or similar could be taped
over the hole so the varm--oops, cat can't see there's an opening to attack.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 15, 12:18*pm, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
[...]

Finding parts may take more time than you can afford wait. Consider
pricing a new storm door. Most can be installed in less than an hour,
and newer designs are much better than some years ago. For safety, we
commonly see acrylic or Lexan window material. I can't recall ever
having seen tempered glass in storm windows in our area.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

MICHELLE H. wrote:
[...]

A needle and thread can make temporary repairs to the screen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MICHELLE H." wrote in message
I am new to the group, and need some help ASAP!! I need to know where I
might be able to find a frame and tempered glass for a storm door??

So now we have a huge hole in the screen, and no "tempered glass frame"
to put there?? I called a couple of hardware stores, and they all told
me the same thing, and that was #1, I NEED the ORIGINAL frame, and #2
"Tempered Glass, needs to be special ordered, and it would take about 3
weeks to special order it.

When I asked them how long it would take to fix the screen, they said
that would be a few weeks as well, because it is now late spring/early
summer, and alot of people are having their screens repaired at this
time.

OK, lets start with the screen. For less than $10 an a half hour you can
repair it yourself. Buy a roll of screen material and the roller tool to
put the rubber spline back in place. The roll of screen will have detailed
instructions. This is available at any hardware or home store.

While you have the screen out, measure the outside of the frame. Now get on
the phone to window and door dealers or manufacturers in your area. My
guess is that you will find one in stock at a reasonable price. You will
find that the inserts are quite common from brand to brand. There are many
local manufacturers of doors that all use the same extrusions. Start with a
search at www.411.com or yellowpages.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Open the door and look at the edge where the hinges are. That's where I
found the brand & model of the screen door which came with my house. You
might find the same info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MICHELLE H." wrote

Well, this morning he actually tore a big hole right in the middle of
the screen about 8 inches by 8 inches, and he jumped out of the hole and

Michelle, patch it for now with a thin fishing line and a heavy plastic
screen piece. In fact, I'd patch the whole thing and we did that here (dog
clawing in our case). Then cut another piece and temp duct tape it to the
frame while you take the insert to a local hardware store and get some
plexiglass cut to fit. Close off the room during that trip and install it
when you get home. Problems solved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of the responses and help so far!! I will try to call
some "window/screen/glass" repair shops, instead of just the local
hardware stores, and see what they say, and if they can make a tempered
glass frame and window for me.

Does everybody know what kind of plastic frame I was trying to explain
in my original post??

I actually took a look at some of the other windows around my home, and
I found that my basement windows have the same sort of frame, except
smaller.

It has 4 plastic pieces ( one on each side ), with a groove in the
center, and the 4 pieces just slide onto the glass, until all 4 corners
touch each other.

So hopefully a window repair shop should carry something this simple!?
But, it will probably be cheap for the 4 plastic frame pieces, but
expensive for the "tempered glass", because that is a speciality item,
right???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 1:18*pm, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
[...]

You can fix the screen yourself with supplies from any home center or
hardware store.

I suggest you look for the heavy duty pet proof screen. I replaced the
full screen on my slider door with pet proof screening over 2 years
ago. Our cat lets us know that she wants to come in by climbing half
way up the screen and jumping down to the deck. Thump! We get up and
open the door.

2 years of this and not one mark on the screen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 9:01*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

2 years of this and not one mark on the screen.- Hide quoted text -

Plastic will be a lot cheaper and faster than tempered glass!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finding Storm Door Replacement Frame and Glass?? HELP!!! (Joe )

I looked all around both the front and rear storm doors, and there is no
kind of manufacturer name or model numbers or anything.

I tried what you said, and looked inside the door where the hinges are,
and there was nothing there either.

These must be some kind of generic doors or something??

The only thing I saw, was that on the lower corner of the rear storm
door ( the one with the tempered glass ), it says:

Guardian Corporation - Webster, Mass.
1976 or 1978
Tempered Safety Glass

I looked up "Guardian Corporation - Webster, Mass." on Google, and found
out that this is the company that made the tempered glass. They are a
company that started in 1932 and was called the "Guardian Glass
Corporation" at the time.

On the front storm door where the screen frame is, I did find some
numbers though on the bottom of the screened frame. On the bottom of the
frame it has ".020" imprinted into the frame??

Does anybody know what .020 on the bottom of the screen frame means???

But there is nothing on the door regarding the manufacturer or model
number of the door. All I know, is that it is a "crossbuck" design with
the big "X" in the middle of the door.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, I called a couple of screen/window repair shops today, and
unfortuately they all said it would be about a "2 week wait" to get the
screen window to the storm door fixed!!

I guess now is not the good time of year to have a screen window
repaired??