Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Finding Storm Door Replacement Frame and Glass?? HELP!!!

"MICHELLE H." wrote in message
I am new to the group, and need some help ASAP!! I need to know where I
might be able to find a frame and tempered glass for a storm door??

So now we have a huge hole in the screen, and no "tempered glass frame"
to put there?? I called a couple of hardware stores, and they all told
me the same thing, and that was #1, I NEED the ORIGINAL frame, and #2
"Tempered Glass, needs to be special ordered, and it would take about 3
weeks to special order it.

When I asked them how long it would take to fix the screen, they said
that would be a few weeks as well, because it is now late spring/early
summer, and alot of people are having their screens repaired at this
time.

OK, lets start with the screen. For less than $10 an a half hour you can
repair it yourself. Buy a roll of screen material and the roller tool to
put the rubber spline back in place. The roll of screen will have detailed
instructions. This is available at any hardware or home store.

While you have the screen out, measure the outside of the frame. Now get on
the phone to window and door dealers or manufacturers in your area. My
guess is that you will find one in stock at a reasonable price. You will
find that the inserts are quite common from brand to brand. There are many
local manufacturers of doors that all use the same extrusions. Start with a
search at www.411.com or yellowpages.com