Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Disable venting for 'over the range' microwave

I would like to install an 'over the range' microwave under the
cabinet, in an area that is not over the range. Because we will not
need the venting, can the venting be turned off?

I am not sure if venting is necessary for microwave cooking. If the
venting funtion is disabled, will it affect the cooking performance?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:53:18 -0700 (PDT), amateur_handman
wrote:

I would like to install an 'over the range' microwave under the
cabinet, in an area that is not over the range. Because we will not
need the venting, can the venting be turned off?

I am not sure if venting is necessary for microwave cooking. If the
venting funtion is disabled, will it affect the cooking performance?

Generally speaking the default vent is set for vent into the kitchen.
If you vent outside the manual will explain this. It means changing
the default vent setup ...whatever that is..

Posted to alt.home.repair

amateur_handman wrote:

I would like to install an 'over the range' microwave under the
cabinet, in an area that is not over the range. Because we will not
need the venting, can the venting be turned off?

I am not sure if venting is necessary for microwave cooking. If the
venting funtion is disabled, will it affect the cooking performance?

What you really want is a cabinet kit for a standard microwave. No, you don't
need the range vent for the microwave, but why pay a premium for a combo unit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"amateur_handman" wrote in message
I would like to install an 'over the range' microwave under the
cabinet, in an area that is not over the range. Because we will not
need the venting, can the venting be turned off?

I am not sure if venting is necessary for microwave cooking. If the
venting funtion is disabled, will it affect the cooking performance?

*The vent fan is normally controlled by a separate switch. Just don't turn
it on. Those microwave ovens have the option of being vented inside or
outside. The installation instructions explain this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would like to install an 'over the range' microwave under the
cabinet, in an area that is not over the range. Because we will not
need the venting, can the venting be turned off?

I am not sure if venting is necessary for microwave cooking. If the
venting funtion is disabled, will it affect the cooking performance?

The venting is for the range, not the microwave. Since it is not going over
a range, why not get a unit made for under counter or buy a kit that allows
you to hang a regular microwave? It will save you a bundle of money. All
you need is a shelf for a unit to sit on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would like to install an 'over the range' microwave under the
cabinet, in an area that is not over the range. Because we will not
need the venting, can the venting be turned off?

I am not sure if venting is necessary for microwave cooking. If the
venting funtion is disabled, will it affect the cooking performance?

The venting is for the range, not the microwave. *Since it is not going over
a range, why not get a unit made for under counter or buy a kit that allows
you to hang a regular microwave? It will save you a bundle of money. *All
you need is a shelf for a unit to sit on.

The venting will not affect the cooking, that is done via the
microwaves and the venting is normally for the air over the stove and
oven.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Microwave venting is there to:

Vent cooking fumes from the microwave and the range/stove below the
microwave.
Try to keep the microwave electronics form being fried from high stove
heat, like during a self cleaning cycle.
Most over the range microwaves have a temp sensor that will auto turn on
the built in vent fan.

I cannot warm up to people who are pompous, arrogant, deceitful,
self-serving,
ill-tempered, intolerant or just plain dumb and proud of it.