Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Default No More TV Reception

The converter box had been working OK for the past year but starting
today, conversion day, most of the channels 2-13 do not come in. The
higher numbered channels are working.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

"Jack" wrote in message
The converter box had been working OK for the past year but starting
today, conversion day, most of the channels 2-13 do not come in. The
higher numbered channels are working.

Did you re-scan?

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 18:28:30 -0400, "G. Greather"
wrote:

"Jack" wrote in message
The converter box had been working OK for the past year but starting
today, conversion day, most of the channels 2-13 do not come in. The
higher numbered channels are working.

Did you re-scan?

Many (but not all) stations who had been broadcasting digital on
"temporary" frequencies are moving the digital signal to their
original frequency (or a third frequency in some cases) as part of
this cutover. You'll want to rescan now, but also again tomorrow
morning, as some stations aren't cutting over until midnight tonight.
After that, things should stay stable...

Josh
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

They suggest people that installed their converter boxes a while back
re-scan the channels. In fact I heard a recommendation that you do it about
monthly to ensure you have all the latest channels and updates.

Let the group know if this helps so others will learn from your experience!

"Jack" wrote in message
The converter box had been working OK for the past year but starting
today, conversion day, most of the channels 2-13 do not come in. The
higher numbered channels are working.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Hipupchuck wrote:
Jack wrote:
The converter box had been working OK for the past year but starting
today, conversion day, most of the channels 2-13 do not come in. The
higher numbered channels are working.

Digital broadcasts in UHF. The old VHF channels are defunct. Hence the
box to reassign the numbers.

Not true in all areas. Around here, many of the digital assignments are
in the old VHF band. Not on the same freqs as the old channels, but in
that band. A lot of people that replaced their old big antennas with one
of those tiny 'DTV' antennas (really just UHF bow ties with a reflector)
will be crying, when they can't get the lower channels.

Jack needs to rescan, and maybe tweak the pointing of his antenna. A lot
of stations did change what actual freqs they were using on cutover day.
Antennaweb.org and similar sites have utilities for making a map, to
show which way to point it.

--
aem sends....

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:17:25 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

Hipupchuck wrote:
Jack wrote:
[...]

I did rescan as you guys suggested and everything works great.

Yes, the old VHF channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 are still using
those numbers but they all have sub-channels (for want of a better
word) e.g., 2-1. 2-2. 2-3.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 08:53:20 -0400, Hipupchuck
wrote:

Jack wrote:
The converter box had been working OK for the past year but starting
today, conversion day, most of the channels 2-13 do not come in. The
higher numbered channels are working.

Digital broadcasts in UHF. The old VHF channels are defunct.

One of the stations here disproves that.

Analog was on channel 7, digital on channel 10. After June 12 digital
is on channel 7.

Hence the
box to reassign the numbers.

The band that they're not using any more is about 700MHz-800MHz (UHF
channels 51-69).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 08:59:28 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

The band that they're not using any more is about 700MHz-800MHz (UHF
channels 51-69).

I don't really understand all of this but via my converter, I'm still
getting 54 (CW), 66 (ION), and 67 (PBS).
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

wrote:

The band that they're not using any more is about 700MHz-800MHz (UHF
channels 51-69).

I don't really understand all of this but via my converter, I'm still
getting 54 (CW), 66 (ION), and 67 (PBS).

They let the stations keep the old channel numbers, so as to not confuse
viewers, but they aren't in the 700-800 band any more. The freq and the
displayed channel number are no longer related.

Back in 1946-early 1960s era, FCC did make some stations change
channels, to avoid interference with new stations coming on line. Lot of
****ed-off stations and confused viewers. They were trying to avoid that
this time.

I'm gonna have to upgrade my roof antenna one of these days- I lost the
OTA PBS and Fox stations. Wrong direction (DTV is much fussier about
direction) and I don't have room for a big antenna and a rotor unless I
chop down a tree or move my pole, so I'll probably try one of those
amplified 'flying saucer' omni directional setups. If it doesn't work, I
can always get half my money back on Craig's List.

--
aem sends...
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

wrote:

The band that they're not using any more is about 700MHz-800MHz (UHF
channels 51-69).

I don't really understand all of this but via my converter, I'm still
getting 54 (CW), 66 (ION), and 67 (PBS).

They let the stations keep the old channel numbers, so as to not confuse
viewers, but they aren't in the 700-800 band any more. The freq and the
displayed channel number are no longer related.

I see.

Back in 1946-early 1960s era, FCC did make some stations change
channels, to avoid interference with new stations coming on line. Lot of
****ed-off stations and confused viewers. They were trying to avoid that
this time.

I'm gonna have to upgrade my roof antenna one of these days- I lost the
OTA PBS and Fox stations. Wrong direction (DTV is much fussier about
direction) and I don't have room for a big antenna and a rotor unless I
chop down a tree or move my pole, so I'll probably try one of those
amplified 'flying saucer' omni directional setups. If it doesn't work, I
can always get half my money back on Craig's List.

--
aem sends...

Hope you are successful.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They are virtual channels. According the FCC site, all the
stations will migrate out of the vhf segment over the next
few years. The new bowtie (fan dipole) HD antennas are
designed with that in mind. Since it's all digital virtual
channels, they can easily move the digital carriers when the
fcc needs to add staions, change power levels, limit nearby
station interference or congress needs the money from more
bandwidth sales.

All you need to do is press the rescan button.

-larry / dallas
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

An amplifier can help, when used on strong signals. It won't make up
for poor reception.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Hipupchuck wrote:
Jack wrote:
[...]

You posted to balt.general. Where exactly do you live that you can
get all the DC stations too. I'm at Liberty Road and Milford Mill
Road, in a tiny valley, and can only get 7, not 4 or 9 or 20 or 26.

Thanks.

I read that you shoudl rescan after you move your antenna, I guess
because you might get new stations, but how is one to know when they
change frequency or come on the air. Will they advertise this on
other channels.

When I try to get rid of 2.2, a weather channel, I lose all of 2. I'm
using a philips DVDR, (although conceivably there is an update to the
software inside). If I used one of the converter boxes, would I be
able to get rid of 2.2 while keeping 2.1? If so, every time I
rescan I'd have to uncheck 2.2. What a pain.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 16:23:09 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

I'm gonna have to upgrade my roof antenna one of these days- I lost the
OTA PBS and Fox stations. Wrong direction (DTV is much fussier about
direction) and I don't have room for a big antenna and a rotor unless I
chop down a tree or move my pole, so I'll probably try one of those
amplified 'flying saucer' omni directional setups. If it doesn't work, I
can always get half my money back on Craig's List.

At a yard sale years ago, I got one from years earlier than that, that
went into the attic and rotated too, inside the case. It worked but
it was too much trouble to be aiming all the time, especially for a
surfer like me. I don't know if they still have one, or if ebay ever
would.

I'm in Baltimore and I do like 45.2, mostly movies and some half-hour
or hour shows from the 60's. And 7.3 from DC, mostly stuff from the
60's or 70's. Sometimes 7 won't come in.

There is also 66.1, .2, .3 adn .4 which isn't even in the zap2it list
for my zip code. I can't get it well, and 3/4 of the time not at all,
but with a better antenna, I expect to. I haven't seen anything good
on it yet, but with 4 channels, it must have something.

I used to record Monk on channel 20 10PM Saturday, and news on channel
26, 8PM Friday. Maybe i can get them back some day.

P&M
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Hipupchuck wrote:
Jack wrote:
[...]

Been using a converter with antenna of course since early in 2008.
Live on a hill in Carroll County. Cable's not available in this
specific area.

Most of your questions are too technical for me, but I can get 4, 5,
7, 9, 20, 26, 50 along with their sub-channels and even 30, sometimes
66. The "universal" settings for my rotator antenna are 341 for
Baltimore and 123 for DC. I keep it at 123 pretty much all the time
though and Baltimore comes in fine. I suppose that you could fine
tune a rotator setting for each individual channel. The weather
channel for 2 is 2-3.

Two converters: one for basement TV one for upstairs. The downstairs
has a splitter. Also, the basement set-up feeds into a DVD recorder.
It's a funny thing. If I pull the plug from the wall on the basement
setup, the upstairs TV won't work. But if the upstairs plug is pulled
from the wall, there's no effect on basement setup. It must have
something to do with ths splitter. I dunno. I'm too old to
understand all this stuff.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 19:31:10 GMT, (Jack) wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 14:44:58 -0400, mm
wrote:

Hipupchuck wrote:
Jack wrote:
The converter box had been working OK for the past year but starting
today, conversion day, most of the channels 2-13 do not come in. The

BTW, I lost 2 and 11 the day of the conversion. I was recording a
show on 2 and in the middle it switched to static!

[...]

Southern Carroll County at least? So you live on a hill, and it
sounds like your antenna is on the roof.

Mine is only in the attic, and actually now it's broken and I'm just
using a four foot piece of telephone-wire-thickness single strand wire
stuck in the coaxial connector in the back of the DVDR. So maybe I
will be able to get some of those stations if I get the antenna in the
attic working. (For reasons too long to go into, I can't get up there
now. )

OTOH, I love living next to a stream. It's very interesting. But that
means I'm at the lowest level around here, maybe 10 or 20 feet below
Liberty Road -- How do I measure that? -- and I'm sure it hurts my tv
reception. And I think I also get less breeze than people at ground
level and certainly less than those on a hill. I often have no breeze
at all and I miss it. I have fans running at low speed but it's not
the same.

Most of your questions are too technical for me, but I can get 4, 5,
7, 9, 20, 26, 50 along with their sub-channels and even 30, sometimes
66. The "universal" settings for my rotator antenna are 341 for
Baltimore and 123 for DC. I keep it at 123 pretty much all the time

Those aren't actual compass bearings I think. Baltimore might be but
DC seems way off for that.

though and Baltimore comes in fine. I suppose that you could fine
tune a rotator setting for each individual channel. The weather
channel for 2 is 2-3.

Two converters: one for basement TV one for upstairs. The downstairs
has a splitter. Also, the basement set-up feeds into a DVD recorder.
It's a funny thing. If I pull the plug from the wall on the basement
setup, the upstairs TV won't work. But if the upstairs plug is pulled
from the wall, there's no effect on basement setup. It must have
something to do with ths splitter. I dunno. I'm too old to
understand all this stuff.

Very strange. I can't even guess. Wait do you have an amplified
antenna for both converter boxes and it's plugged into the basement
setup? That might account for it. Maybe you installed the basement
first. The power supply when my amplified antenna was working
plugged nto a jack in the coaxial cable near to the DVDR/converter
box, and used the coax to power the amp in the attic.

Sometimes I install things myself and later forget how they are
connected. For my burglar alarm, which is more complicated, if I
hadn't made a diagram, I'd be so much more confused.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:05:20 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 19:31:10 GMT, (Jack) wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 14:44:58 -0400, mm
wrote:

Hipupchuck wrote:
Jack wrote:
The converter box had been working OK for the past year but starting
today, conversion day, most of the channels 2-13 do not come in. The

BTW, I lost 2 and 11 the day of the conversion. I was recording a
show on 2 and in the middle it switched to static!

Bummer.

[...]

6 mi. so. Westminster. Yes, on the roof. New antenna bought in early
2008.

Mine is only in the attic, and actually now it's broken and I'm just
using a four foot piece of telephone-wire-thickness single strand wire
stuck in the coaxial connector in the back of the DVDR. So maybe I
will be able to get some of those stations if I get the antenna in the
attic working. (For reasons too long to go into, I can't get up there
now. )

OTOH, I love living next to a stream. It's very interesting. But that
means I'm at the lowest level around here, maybe 10 or 20 feet below
Liberty Road -- How do I measure that? -- and I'm sure it hurts my tv
reception. And I think I also get less breeze than people at ground
level and certainly less than those on a hill. I often have no breeze
at all and I miss it. I have fans running at low speed but it's not
the same.

Despite what little of what I know about this subject, it nevertheless
seems amazing that you're getting any reception.

[...]

What you're saying makes sense but you might as well be teaching me
rocket science.

TV reception Endulini UK diy 41 May 24th 08 09:42 PM
TV Reception mark UK diy 1 May 24th 08 07:26 PM
TV reception [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 June 12th 06 04:07 AM
no UHF reception old dirtbeard Home Repair 8 February 21st 06 04:13 PM
Better TV reception chlim Home Repair 17 March 2nd 05 09:28 PM