Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default No More TV Reception

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:28:34 GMT, (Jack) wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:17:25 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

Hipupchuck wrote:
Jack wrote:
The converter box had been working OK for the past year but starting
today, conversion day, most of the channels 2-13 do not come in. The
higher numbered channels are working.

Digital broadcasts in UHF. The old VHF channels are defunct. Hence the
box to reassign the numbers.

Not true in all areas. Around here, many of the digital assignments are
in the old VHF band. Not on the same freqs as the old channels, but in
that band. A lot of people that replaced their old big antennas with one
of those tiny 'DTV' antennas (really just UHF bow ties with a reflector)
will be crying, when they can't get the lower channels.

Jack needs to rescan, and maybe tweak the pointing of his antenna. A lot
of stations did change what actual freqs they were using on cutover day.
Antennaweb.org and similar sites have utilities for making a map, to
show which way to point it.

--
aem sends....

I did rescan as you guys suggested and everything works great.

Yes, the old VHF channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 are still using
those numbers but they all have sub-channels (for want of a better
word) e.g., 2-1. 2-2. 2-3.

You posted to balt.general. Where exactly do you live that you can
get all the DC stations too. I'm at Liberty Road and Milford Mill
Road, in a tiny valley, and can only get 7, not 4 or 9 or 20 or 26.

Thanks.

I read that you shoudl rescan after you move your antenna, I guess
because you might get new stations, but how is one to know when they
change frequency or come on the air. Will they advertise this on
other channels.

When I try to get rid of 2.2, a weather channel, I lose all of 2. I'm
using a philips DVDR, (although conceivably there is an update to the
software inside). If I used one of the converter boxes, would I be
able to get rid of 2.2 while keeping 2.1? If so, every time I
rescan I'd have to uncheck 2.2. What a pain.