Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
larry larry is offline

Default No More TV Reception

Vlad wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 16:23:09 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

Vlad wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 08:59:28 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

The band that they're not using any more is about 700MHz-800MHz (UHF
channels 51-69).
I don't really understand all of this but via my converter, I'm still
getting 54 (CW), 66 (ION), and 67 (PBS).

They let the stations keep the old channel numbers, so as to not confuse
viewers, but they aren't in the 700-800 band any more. The freq and the
displayed channel number are no longer related.

I see.

Back in 1946-early 1960s era, FCC did make some stations change
channels, to avoid interference with new stations coming on line. Lot of
****ed-off stations and confused viewers. They were trying to avoid that
this time.

I'm gonna have to upgrade my roof antenna one of these days- I lost the
OTA PBS and Fox stations. Wrong direction (DTV is much fussier about
direction) and I don't have room for a big antenna and a rotor unless I
chop down a tree or move my pole, so I'll probably try one of those
amplified 'flying saucer' omni directional setups. If it doesn't work, I
can always get half my money back on Craig's List.

--
aem sends...

Hope you are successful.

They are virtual channels. According the FCC site, all the
stations will migrate out of the vhf segment over the next
few years. The new bowtie (fan dipole) HD antennas are
designed with that in mind. Since it's all digital virtual
channels, they can easily move the digital carriers when the
fcc needs to add staions, change power levels, limit nearby
station interference or congress needs the money from more
bandwidth sales.

All you need to do is press the rescan button.

-larry / dallas