Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Default Fluorescent Tubes

Been 20 years since the tubes in the laundry room were replaced, and
these new tubes flicker for about 30 seconds before becoming bright.
Is this just a slow warm-up process due to their supposed
energy-saving features, or did I get a pair of lemons? Thanks.
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2009 11:25 AM Way Back Jack spake thus:

Been 20 years since the tubes in the laundry room were replaced, and
these new tubes flicker for about 30 seconds before becoming bright.
Is this just a slow warm-up process due to their supposed
energy-saving features, or did I get a pair of lemons? Thanks.

I've noticed this same problem with new fluorescent tubes, but had
chalked it up to the cheap fixtures the guy I was working for used.

Maybe Don Klipstein can chime in and answer this question.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

"Way Back Jack" wrote in message ...
Been 20 years since the tubes in the laundry room were replaced, and
these new tubes flicker for about 30 seconds before becoming bright.
Is this just a slow warm-up process due to their supposed
energy-saving features, or did I get a pair of lemons? Thanks.

It's an energy-saving feature. The EPA hopes you'll get fed up with waiting and turn the lamp off.

;^)

EL

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Can we assume that since the bulbs haven't been replaced in 20 years,
neither have the balast or starter? What led to you replacing the
bulbs? Are they the same wattage as the old ones?
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

"Way Back Jack" wrote in message
Been 20 years since the tubes in the laundry room were replaced, and
these new tubes flicker for about 30 seconds before becoming bright.
Is this just a slow warm-up process due to their supposed
energy-saving features, or did I get a pair of lemons? Thanks.

It is probably because the new lamps do not have as much mercury in them as
the old ones. Chalk that up to the eiviromental people.
They also do not start as well when it is cold.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

In article , Way Back Jack wrote:

Been 20 years since the tubes in the laundry room were replaced, and
these new tubes flicker for about 30 seconds before becoming bright.
Is this just a slow warm-up process due to their supposed
energy-saving features, or did I get a pair of lemons? Thanks.

Are these tubes 1 inch wide 4-footers or 2-footers and replacing ones
hthat were 1.5 inches wide? If so, no wonder they flickered - these take
different ballasts. These 2 different sizes are not electrically
interchangeable.

Are both the new and old tubes 1.5 inch wide 4-footers? If so, are the
new ones energy-saving types said to consume 34 watts instead of 40? If
so, I am not surprised they flickered for a bit. In my experience, 34
watt 4-footers have a higher rate of being cranky than "true 40 watt"
ones, especially in fixtures with "residential grade" ballasts.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

In article , Way Back Jack wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 21:19:30 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In article , Way Back Jack wrote:

Been 20 years since the tubes in the laundry room were replaced, and
these new tubes flicker for about 30 seconds before becoming bright.
Is this just a slow warm-up process due to their supposed
energy-saving features, or did I get a pair of lemons? Thanks.

SNIP my stuff on 1 inch diameter tubes

Are both the new and old tubes 1.5 inch wide 4-footers? If so, are the
new ones energy-saving types said to consume 34 watts instead of 40? If
so, I am not surprised they flickered for a bit. In my experience, 34
watt 4-footers have a higher rate of being cranky than "true 40 watt"
ones, especially in fixtures with "residential grade" ballasts.

It's just the opposite, 40 replacing 34.

New problem: The new tubes are very dim; they do not attain full
brightness. (Same problem with old tubes.)

Old tubes: GE Watt Miser, 4' X 1.5" diameter, F-40CWR-R3-WM, Cool
White, 34 Watt

New tubes: GE Environmentally responsible, 4' X1.5" diameter, For use
in F40 fixtures, F40T12, 40 Watt

My guess now is that the ballast is one of those "residential grade"
ones, which are often somewhat shorter in length than the good ones, and
which are often "stool specimens". Or, slight chance the ballast had a
capacitor in series with its secondary winding short out.

In either case, get a decent ballast from an electrical/lighting supply
shop.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 5:58 pm, (Way Back Jack) wrote:
It's just the opposite, 40 replacing 34.

I certainly don't know all the issues, but trying to run 40 watt bulbs
on ballasts that were probably just enough to run 34's sounds like a
likely cause...

Fluorescent tubes John UK diy 4 November 10th 08 11:35 PM
8ft fluorescent tubes pcb1962 UK diy 7 August 14th 08 12:43 AM
What to do with old fluorescent tubes Aidan UK diy 26 May 26th 05 03:17 PM
Fluorescent tubes. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 3 March 22nd 05 02:43 PM
Fluorescent tubes Simon Elliott UK diy 17 March 15th 05 10:10 PM