Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
Way Back Jack[_5_] Way Back Jack[_5_] is offline

Default Fluorescent Tubes

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 21:19:30 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In article , Way Back Jack wrote:

Been 20 years since the tubes in the laundry room were replaced, and
these new tubes flicker for about 30 seconds before becoming bright.
Is this just a slow warm-up process due to their supposed
energy-saving features, or did I get a pair of lemons? Thanks.

Are these tubes 1 inch wide 4-footers or 2-footers and replacing ones
hthat were 1.5 inches wide? If so, no wonder they flickered - these take
different ballasts. These 2 different sizes are not electrically
interchangeable.

Are both the new and old tubes 1.5 inch wide 4-footers? If so, are the
new ones energy-saving types said to consume 34 watts instead of 40? If
so, I am not surprised they flickered for a bit. In my experience, 34
watt 4-footers have a higher rate of being cranky than "true 40 watt"
ones, especially in fixtures with "residential grade" ballasts.

- Don Klipstein )

It's just the opposite, 40 replacing 34.

New problem: The new tubes are very dim; they do not attain full
brightness. (Same problem with old tubes.)

Old tubes: GE Watt Miser, 4' X 1.5" diameter, F-40CWR-R3-WM, Cool
White, 34 Watt

New tubes: GE Environmentally responsible, 4' X1.5" diameter, For use
in F40 fixtures, F40T12, 40 Watt