Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting Mosaic Tile Pieces

Anybody have suggestions on how to cut those little (1" x 1") tiles
that come bonded to a mesh backer? My area to be tiled doesn't work
out to an even inch boundary (surprise!). These seem to be Turkish
marble if that makes a difference. I've cut bigger ceramic tiles
before by scoring and snapping, but I don't see how to do that on
something this small. Ditto with a wet saw.

Don't need a production line solution, only a few (!) to do.

Diamond disk in a dremel??

Thanks,
Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Anybody have suggestions on how to cut those little (1" x 1") tiles
that come bonded to a mesh backer? My area to be tiled doesn't work
out to an even inch boundary (surprise!). These seem to be Turkish
marble if that makes a difference. I've cut bigger ceramic tiles
before by scoring and snapping, but I don't see how to do that on
something this small. Ditto with a wet saw.

Don't need a production line solution, only a few (!) to do.

Diamond disk in a dremel??

Thanks,
Red

a wet saw will do it correctly and easily. you don't have to worry about
getting fingers near a wet saw blade like you do for a toothed sawblade, as
it can't really hurt you as long as it's wet. you can use the side of a
blade (gently) to shape tiles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 2:35*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
snip
Nope. Wet saw.

Spoke to the rental place, but I'm too cheap to meet their price for
the little bit I had to do. Wound up using the diamond disk in the
dremel. Worked out ok, need to stop once in a while to let things
cool down. lots of dust.

If I ever have to do more than a few, it'll be wet saw for sure.

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 6:56*pm, wrote:
On Jun 9, 2:35*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

snip
Nope. Wet saw.

Spoke to the rental place, but I'm too cheap to meet their price for
the little bit I had to do. *Wound up using the diamond disk in the
dremel. *Worked out ok, *need to stop once in a while to let things
cool down. *lots of dust.

If I ever have to do more than a few, it'll be wet saw for sure.

Tile nippers are what is normally used for real mosaic work.
http://www.mosaicartsupply.com/cuttingmosaictile.htm

The wet saw is for the straight cuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jun 10, 6:56 pm, wrote:
On Jun 9, 2:35 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

snip
Nope. Wet saw.

Spoke to the rental place, but I'm too cheap to meet their price for
the little bit I had to do. Wound up using the diamond disk in the
dremel. Worked out ok, need to stop once in a while to let things
cool down. lots of dust.

If I ever have to do more than a few, it'll be wet saw for sure.

Tile nippers are what is normally used for real mosaic work.
http://www.mosaicartsupply.com/cuttingmosaictile.htm

The wet saw is for the straight cuts.

Depends. I have used a wet saw to nibble some small pieces into odd shapes.
You just have to be very careful.

To the OP: Watch for a wet saw at yard sales, etc. They are incredibly
handy, even if you only need one once a year, and will pay for itself on the
first job. The one I got cost me $10 at a yard sale, and it's a major brand
that costs about $280 at the Borg. Makes the job go a lot easier, and
better results.

Steve