Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old phone, cut wires

I recently bought an old 1970's Mickey Mouse phone from a thrift
store. From what I have been reading online, and even here in this
group, it may or may not work as a normal phone depending on my
carrier. The major problem is though, the chord has been cut very
short. I have seen that it can be re-wired for modern day use, but the
wires have no color. They are all silver, and neatly in a flat row.
Here are some pictures so you can see what I mean
a href="http://s659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/1oatmeal1/?
action=view&current=photo2.jpg" target="_blank"img src="http://
i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/1oatmeal1/photo2.jpg" border="0"
alt="Photobucket"/a
a href="http://s659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/1oatmeal1/?
action=view&current=photo.jpg" target="_blank"img src="http://
i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/1oatmeal1/photo.jpg" border="0"
alt="Broken wires"/a
Ignore the Archaeology book in the background. Is there any way I can
fix this and let Mickey be more than a place to store my sombrero?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Those picture links don't work, try these
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/u...al1/photo2.jpg
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/u...eal1/photo.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Those picture links don't work, try these
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/u...al1/photo2.jpg
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/u...eal1/photo.jpg

Sure- go to Rat Shack or similar, and get a spade lug to modular cord,
and switch it out. In the innards, look for screws marked L1 and L2.
Those should mate up with the center 2 conductors on the flat cable.
Shouldn't be a big deal to change. If the TT buttons don't work, just
switch the 2 wires.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. The chord is cut short. Would that be C, and E, and
don't play the G? Maybe we can have a surgeon transpose you
a new chord?

The other fellow sounds like he has it right, L1 and L2 are
the useful screw terminals. Would that be schrew terminals?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
I recently bought an old 1970's Mickey Mouse phone from a
thrift
store. From what I have been reading online, and even here
in this
group, it may or may not work as a normal phone depending on
my
carrier. The major problem is though, the chord has been cut
very
short.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the info. Right now I have finals, but as soon as I finish
I'll take a trip to radio shack and see what I can find. I'll let you
know how it works out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good news! We went and bought a phone cord, cut it open, and connected
the center two wires to where two of the silver wires were. The
terminals were not labeled, besides with some random looking numbers,
but we picked the correct 2, and the phone works! The buttons are very
sticky and dirty, and don't always work, but that should be able to be
cleaned right? Also sadly, while my mom was carrying the phone she
tripped and fell, and the ringer no longer is working. I think
something must have come loose inside, and I'll check it out some
other time. Thanks again for your helpful info =D