Dave Plowman

Default phone ext color of wires

In article ,
wrote:
Simple up to now.
Here is the problem - the cable I have removed the socket from has -
BLACK-RED-GREEN-YELLOW cables.

You've got a slight problem here as these aren't standard UK colours.

As you look at the socket with the rounded end on the left - BLACK is
the first colour.

Can someone tell me the corresponding colour/s to use?

I can cut off the plug and make up which colour to use but would
prefer not to.
Thanks for any help.

I've posted the standard colours below, so you should be able to work
things out. Using the correct colours doesn't really matter provided the
connections are correct.

On the plug, contact 1 is next to the latch.

Here are the standard colours of cable, flex and their terminals.

Terminal Cable Cord Function
1 Green/white Orange Spare
2 Blue/white Red B wire (Line)
3 Orange/white Blue Shunt wire. (Bell)
4 White/orange Green Local earth (Not usually used)
5 White/blue White A wire (Line)
6 White/green Black Spare

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
BigWallop

"Colin Cooper" wrote in message
Beware - I did the same thing, but found the wires in the extension lead
were very thin indeed and hard to connect the other end! Looked like a
couple of threads of wire wound in with some nylon-type-stuff... Managed

it
OK in the end but it was quite a fiddle!

Colin

If it was a punch down connection system, you don't have to take any
insulation off. The slides cut through the insulation themselves.

BigWallop

wrote in message
I have an ext lead with moulded plug on one end (no problem) and a
moulded socket on the other.

===snip

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BigWallop

wrote in message
I have an ext lead with moulded plug on one end (no problem) and a
moulded socket on the other.

I have cut off the socket so I can run the cable to box.

The box tells me where to run/place the following colours -BLUE/white
2 - ORANGE.white3 - WHITE/orange4 - WHITE/blue5.

Simple up to now.
Here is the problem - the cable I have removed the socket from has -
BLACK-RED-GREEN-YELLOW cables.

As you look at the socket with the rounded end on the left - BLACK is
the first colour.

Can someone tell me the corresponding colour/s to use?

I can cut off the plug and make up which colour to use but would
prefer not to.
Thanks for any help.

On a normal D shaped telephone fly lead the two inner cores are normally the
line and can be fitted either way round.

Looking at the end profile of the cable with the flat side of the D
downward, they follow this pattern:

Left hand is a loop back for any automatic switching from a reception desk
or whatever

Left Centre is the positive feed to the phone

Right Centre is neutral to the phone and

Right hand side is the bell wire.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Peter Parry

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 14:49:13 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

On a normal D shaped telephone fly lead the two inner cores are normally the
line and can be fitted either way round.

Only in America. On a BT Plug with 4 wires the two outers will be
the signal & ringing and one of the two inners ringing, the other
being unused.

With the BT plug on a desk with the contacts facing you the retaining
clip will be on the right. The rightmost wire goes to pin 2 on the
socket, the next to it goes to pin 3 and the left hand one goes to
pin 5 on the socket

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
BigWallop

wrote:

On a normal D shaped telephone fly lead the two inner cores are normally

the
line and can be fitted either way round.

Only in America. On a BT Plug with 4 wires the two outers will be
the signal & ringing and one of the two inners ringing, the other
being unused.

With the BT plug on a desk with the contacts facing you the retaining
clip will be on the right. The rightmost wire goes to pin 2 on the
socket, the next to it goes to pin 3 and the left hand one goes to
pin 5 on the socket

Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

ROFL

Thanks Peter, you're correct. I should check what I'm typing. I should
have said "the outer cores of the cable are the line". You see, I was in
New York City only a few days ago working on telephony remote control gear
and my brain is still there I think. :-)) Anyway, it's to bloody late to
change the reply, so I just hope the confusion has cleared by now. :-))
LOL

(I'll get me coat)