Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Me again with the fridge problem

Hi all, my original post is below;

"I have a problem with my fridge, it is a side by side. The top half of both
sides are not cold, all the food in the top half of the freezer side is
thawed and only the stuff in the bottom half of the fridge side is cold.
Anyone know what could be causing this? Should I call someone in or just go
look for a new refrigerator? Thanks."

Since then I have pulled off the thin piece of metal that covers the cooling
coils(???) and defrosted the freezer. After putting it all back together the
fridge ran great until today, frost is forming again on the metal cover.
Both the fridge and freezer ran amazing since the defrost. Am I right to
assume the defrost timer is broken? Or could it be something else? Please
give me your opinions as I am very new and inexperienced in fixing things.
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Question wrote:
Hi all, my original post is below;

"I have a problem with my fridge, it is a side by side. The top half of both
sides are not cold, all the food in the top half of the freezer side is
thawed and only the stuff in the bottom half of the fridge side is cold.
Anyone know what could be causing this? Should I call someone in or just go
look for a new refrigerator? Thanks."

Since then I have pulled off the thin piece of metal that covers the cooling
coils(???) and defrosted the freezer. After putting it all back together the
fridge ran great until today, frost is forming again on the metal cover.
Both the fridge and freezer ran amazing since the defrost. Am I right to
assume the defrost timer is broken? Or could it be something else? Please
give me your opinions as I am very new and inexperienced in fixing things.
Thanks

I think I posted something after your
original post. After doing what you did,
mine ran fine for 2 years and then did
it again. There are usually only 3
components
involved (unless it's one of those new
one with microprocessors, etc.). They
are the heater, a thermostat and the
timer. With an ohmmeter, the heater should
read a fairly low value, well under 100
ohms. The thermostat button should be
open when
above freezing, closed at low temps
like those normally found in a working
freezer.
On mine, both were good. I actually
saw, with the meter, the thermostat change
from closed to open as the ice melted
away. If you unit ices after a few days
or weeks, keep checking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Question wrote:
Hi all, my original post is below;

"I have a problem with my fridge, it is a side by side. The top half of both
sides are not cold, all the food in the top half of the freezer side is
thawed and only the stuff in the bottom half of the fridge side is cold.
Anyone know what could be causing this? Should I call someone in or just go
look for a new refrigerator? Thanks."

Since then I have pulled off the thin piece of metal that covers the cooling
coils(???) and defrosted the freezer. After putting it all back together the
fridge ran great until today, frost is forming again on the metal cover.
Both the fridge and freezer ran amazing since the defrost. Am I right to
assume the defrost timer is broken? Or could it be something else? Please
give me your opinions as I am very new and inexperienced in fixing things.
Thanks

Is the fan inside your unit running so that the cold air is being
circulated??
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, the fan is working. I am going to start changing parts that are related
to the problem, starting with the Defrost timer. Anyone know where I can
locate this? I have searched the fridge with no luck. Thanks in advance.

I have purchased the new timer, I can't find anything that resembles it in
the fridge, unless they gave me the wrong one. My fridge model # is
GSS201EMA and it is GE.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Question wrote:
Yes, the fan is working. I am going to start changing parts that are related
to the problem, starting with the Defrost timer. Anyone know where I can
locate this? I have searched the fridge with no luck. Thanks in advance.

I have purchased the new timer, I can't find anything that resembles it in
the fridge, unless they gave me the wrong one. My fridge model # is
GSS201EMA and it is GE.

My refrigerators always had the timer mounted on the back of the unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
Question wrote:
Yes, the fan is working. I am going to start changing parts that are
related to the problem, starting with the Defrost timer. Anyone know
where I can locate this? I have searched the fridge with no luck.
Thanks in advance.

I have purchased the new timer, I can't find anything that resembles
it in the fridge, unless they gave me the wrong one. My fridge model #
is GSS201EMA and it is GE.

My refrigerators always had the timer mounted on the back of the unit.

Mine was at the top, but it was a
built-in KitchenAid. The compressor and
condenser coil were also on the top, so
I'm probably not much help here.
My new time looked very different from
the broken one and in addition it
worked somewhat differently.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 12:57*am, Art Todesco wrote:
Ken wrote:
Question wrote:
Yes, the fan is working. I am going to start changing parts that are
related to the problem, starting with the Defrost timer. Anyone know
where I can locate this? I have searched the fridge with no luck.
Thanks in advance.

I have purchased the new timer, I can't find anything that resembles
it in the fridge, unless they gave me the wrong one. My fridge model #
is GSS201EMA and it is GE.

* * My refrigerators always had the timer mounted on the back of the unit.

Mine was at the top, but it was a
built-in KitchenAid. *The compressor and
condenser coil were also on the top, so
I'm probably not much help here.
My new time looked very different from
the broken one and in addition it
worked somewhat differently.

Only once many years ago our defrost timer failed. (Mid-size ordinary
fridge with freezer at top and compressor down below).
We temporarily rigged a switch to operate the defrost function until a
replacement timer came in from Sears. I seem to recall that the small
electric clock type motor that drove the time went open but that it
was possible to turn the timer, which buried, can't remember where,
manually. And yes; as we discovered the problem the fridge had 'iced
up'.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
Ken wrote:
Question wrote:
Yes, the fan is working. I am going to start changing parts that are
related to the problem, starting with the Defrost timer. Anyone know
where I can locate this? I have searched the fridge with no luck.
Thanks in advance.

I have purchased the new timer, I can't find anything that resembles
it in the fridge, unless they gave me the wrong one. My fridge model
# is GSS201EMA and it is GE.

My refrigerators always had the timer mounted on the back of the
unit.

Mine was at the top, but it was a built-in KitchenAid. The compressor and
condenser coil were also on the top, so I'm probably not much help here.
My new time looked very different from the broken one and in addition it
worked somewhat differently.

I've seen the timers at the bottom behind the grill, mounted
high or low on the back and next to the interior thermostat.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Could be the timer, or one of a couple of other parts. Or,
it could be a wiring problem.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Question" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 19:06:46 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Could be the timer, or one of a couple of other parts. Or,
it could be a wiring problem.

My guess it's the defrost thermostat that's bad. This device is
designed to allow the defrost heater to come on when below a certain
temp and turn off when above a certain temp. If it's bad, it won't let
the defrost heater do it's job and over time frost will clog the coil.
The thermostat should be closed in normal cold mode to let the heater
get some juice to heat up. You can find this thermostat burried in
the ice that formed probably.

Gene

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Could be the timer, or one of a couple of other parts. Or,
it could be a wiring problem.

What turned out to be the problem with the unit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Offset wobbler had slid off the shimmy shaft, and was
knocking against the motor berring. Tighten with allen
wrench, and apply a drop of Locktite to the set screw
threads. Easy fix.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Could be the timer, or one of a couple of other parts. Or,
it could be a wiring problem.

What turned out to be the problem with the unit?

Update on my Fridge Problem Question[_2_] Home Repair 7 May 24th 09 04:52 AM
Fridge Problem David UK diy 6 June 1st 07 09:02 PM
Whirlpool Fridge Problem George Home Repair 2 June 14th 06 07:20 PM
GE Fridge problem Frank from Deeetroit Home Repair 4 February 5th 06 07:01 PM
Fridge/freezer problem John UK diy 8 February 16th 04 09:10 AM