Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Genie Excelerator

I installed a Genie Excelerator opener about 5 years ago. It has
worked well up until last night's nearby lightning strike. We lost a
variety of electronic things. The opener still works except for the
safety sensor system. The sending side is not lit and the opener acts
as one would expect - It opens just fine, but you must hold the button
to close it. Is there a common part that fails in these situations? I
can order a new board or a new set of safety sensors, but I thought
one of you might have a hint as to which one is more likely to have
failed. The voltage across the two terminals is only a few
millivolts. That points to the board, but I suppose one of the
sensors could have shorted. I think I'll go disconnect the sensors
and see what the voltage does. In the mean time, any input is
appreciated. ...Pat

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 19:06:46 -0400, wrote:

I installed a Genie Excelerator opener about 5 years ago. It has
worked well up until last night's nearby lightning strike. We lost a
variety of electronic things. The opener still works except for the
safety sensor system. The sending side is not lit and the opener acts
as one would expect - It opens just fine, but you must hold the button
to close it. Is there a common part that fails in these situations? I
can order a new board or a new set of safety sensors, but I thought
one of you might have a hint as to which one is more likely to have
failed. The voltage across the two terminals is only a few
millivolts. That points to the board, but I suppose one of the
sensors could have shorted. I think I'll go disconnect the sensors
and see what the voltage does. In the mean time, any input is
appreciated. ...Pat

Update to the above post... With the sensors (safe-t-beam)
disconnected, there is still no voltage at the terminals where the
sensors connect. I also noticed there is a green led flashing 5
times. The manual says that means a safe-t-beam fault. Anyone know
how to get to the circuit board? It looks like the whole thing must
be disassembled. I can see the board through vent cracks in the base
plate, but actually getting to it to inspect or change parts looks to
be very difficult unless there is a secret one of you knows;-) ...Pat

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 2, 6:06*pm, wrote:
I installed a Genie Excelerator opener about 5 years ago. *It has
worked well up until last night's nearby lightning strike. *We lost a
variety of electronic things. *The opener still works except for the
safety sensor system. *The sending side is not lit and the opener acts
as one would expect - It opens just fine, but you must hold the button
to close it. *Is there a common part that fails in these situations? I
can order a new board or a new set of safety sensors, but I thought
one of you might have a hint as to which one is more likely to have
failed. *The voltage across the two terminals is only a few
millivolts. *That points to the board, but I suppose one of the
sensors could have shorted. *I think I'll go disconnect the sensors
and see what the voltage does. *In the mean time, any input is
appreciated. * ...Pat

Call your insurance carrier. Check every electronic device in the
house first before filing the claim. Clock radios, microwaves, laundry
appliance controls, HVAC systems operation, etc. All should be 100%
covered by insurance. Lightning is noted for doing weird things, so
expect surprises that defy logic. Limit your diagnosis and repair to
those things crucial to keeping the palazzo functional until the
insurance company repair contractors arrive. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I installed a Genie Excelerator opener about 5 years ago. It has
worked well up until last night's nearby lightning strike. We lost a
variety of electronic things. The opener still works except for the
safety sensor system. The sending side is not lit and the opener acts
as one would expect - It opens just fine, but you must hold the button
to close it. Is there a common part that fails in these situations? I
can order a new board or a new set of safety sensors, but I thought
one of you might have a hint as to which one is more likely to have
failed. The voltage across the two terminals is only a few
millivolts. That points to the board, but I suppose one of the
sensors could have shorted. I think I'll go disconnect the sensors
and see what the voltage does. In the mean time, any input is
appreciated. ...Pat

*I can't help you with your garage door opener, but you should know that a
common cause of lightning related incidences is due to a problem with the
grounding system of your home. Your electrical service should have a single
conductor connected to your water service pipe and also to at least one
ground rod. If you don't have any idea what I am talking about have a
qualified electrician come in for an inspection of your grounding electrodes
and grounding electrode conductor. Your telephone service, cable TV service
and/or dish should also be grounded.

I have seen it before where the garage door opener gets fried from lightning
and I surmise that the lightning likes the concrete floor in the garage
since it is a very good ground and travels the rails to get there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 19:06:46 -0400, wrote:

I'm with the other Joe on this one. This should be covered by
your home owner's insurance. You paid for the coverage, now is the
time to use it. Let the pros worry about the problem, you have
already paid for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Jun 2, 6:06 pm, wrote:
[...]

'insurance company repair contractors'? Hell, I can barely get mine to
give me a check, much less perform concierge service for me.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is this a washing machine? Sears often has exploded parts
diagram. You can see the machine with the transmission,
agiator, lid switches and so on.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

From what I can figure, it's a washing machine he's working
on.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

*I can't help you with your garage door opener, but you
should know that a

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Is this a washing machine? Sears often has exploded parts
diagram. You can see the machine with the transmission,
agiator, lid switches and so on.

1. Quit top-posting.
2. ??? He is clearly talking about a garage door opener.

--
aem sens....

Genie Pro 88 won't close bhatiap Home Repair 11 August 31st 20 01:13 AM
Genie Excelerator vs Lightning [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 June 3rd 09 06:24 PM
Joint-Genie ????? Richard Woodworking 1 December 11th 05 04:09 PM
Genie Pro 98 NeoTek Home Repair 6 August 28th 05 12:46 AM
Genie and wizard ESR Meters? Michael Electronics Repair 3 August 15th 05 01:11 AM