Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Granite Countertop /\/\/\/ crack /\/\/\/\/\/ ???

We just had granite countertops installed a few months ago and really
like the look, feel and personality of real stone countertops. The
other day I was rinsing a few things in the sink and on the edge of
the sink I felt a slightly rough spot, on the inside of the sink edge
towards the bottom of the granite. I looked close and saw a slight
crack/chip in the granite, barely noticeable, even to the touch. But
as I put a bright light on it I could see a slight fracture line
running from the rough spot, up to the top edge of the countertop and
extending a few inches towards the front of the countertop. This is
barely perceivable except under very close examination so it's
probably been there since it was installed. We handle the counter
with kit gloves and think this is a fracture that occurred when the
sink cutout was cut.

Have been in touch with the company we bought it from and who
installed it, and they have been helpful but they are having a tough
getting the actual countertop folks to get back with us. So we
figured we'd pop out here and see what the general group opinion is.
We can see slight imperfections in the stone as it is natural, and
that's all this may be. But we don't want it to be a fracture that
would spread and grow like a windshield crack, until part of the
countertop failed as this is where the sink mounts and not too far
from the "splice" in the long counter length. Do not know if they
have some epoxy filler that could be used to strengthen this and fill
ir, or it it's even necessary.

All opinions welcomed as we paid a pretty penny (or two) for this and
don't want to have it fail before it's time.

Thanks!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 11:05*pm, infiniteMPG wrote:
[...]

Get some epoxy and force it in the crack, thats all they will do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is likely an indication of an upcoming earth quake. It's a fault
line. Report this impending disaster to your local government
officials and tell them to prepare for a top knotch earthquake during
the next 72 hours.

Dont bother trying to get the installers to come. They already took
your money and left for their Paris vacation. Besides that, by the
time they could arrive, your home will be destroyed by the earthquake
and you could be dead from the counter falling on your skull.

If by chance you and your home do survive, rest assurred that in a few
years from now, granite will be out of style, and formica will be back
in style, and you'll be sending that granite countertop off to some
landfill, or else you'll be the laughing stock of the neighborhood for
not adhering to the latest trends in home repair.

By the way, if you were to die in the quake, God will still allow you
into heaven despite being the owner of this fracture. (but only if you
learn to keep your dick in your pants).

LM

Funny.

Another useless piece of info:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4292754.shtml

od

Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Why do you believe the information is useless?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"olddog" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Actually, I'm using this to keep my wife from buying granite. I'm happy with
my Formica counters.

Could there really be enough granite in a counter to produce enough radon to
be dangerous?

I don't like them because they stain. Also, every house in town has them.

od

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually we had a news crew out front last night and we weren't sure
why. After the neighbor's all gathered around we finally broke down
and went outside to investigate ourselves. Turned out they said there
was some odd seismic activity in the area and they were checking into
it. We were nervous about going back into the house but decided it
was safer then standing out in the street seeing as now the news
helicopters were zooming overhead.

As we went back inside we could feel a rumbling in the pit of our
bellies and it wasn't the double-dip mega-volcano tacos we has
recently consumed.... it was coming from the foundation of the house,
Running thru the kitchen to gather our valuables we were temporarily
blinded by a flash of light near the sink! As our vision cleared we
saw the fracture in the countertop growing and the light was
flickering on and off from the crack, and a yellow smoke was rising.
We grabbed the dog, the last of the Newcastles from the fridge and
bolted out the door just as a crack of lightning flashed in the
skies. It must of hit a helicopter which had been floating in the air
much in the way that bricks don't. We jumped in the Jeep and zoomed
off thru the crowd just as our home and the entire neighborhood
disappeared in the massive glwoing sinkhole.

As we drove off we thought maybe it wasn't best to try to do the epoxy
fill ourselves, maybe we should let the installers do it. Yeah, next
time around we'll do that as they probably know what they're doing and
if they mess up it's on their nickel. Sounds like that's the way to
go.... and the pants are fine, everything in it's place :O)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Yes, especially if you think about it harder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

So "thinking" produces radon?

You must be radioactive.

od

Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Case closed. You're an idiot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Case closed....TROLL.

Have a nice day! :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Think harder about how a countertop is used.

Clue: Human anatomy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Wow.....you must be Batman!

I just want to tell you one thing before I block you. You're a jackass.

od

Posted to alt.home.repair

infiniteMPG wrote in news:17cea91e-8ccf-43d5-9106-
:

[...]

That is who your issue is with. They are the ones you hired/contracted.
They sub-k'd it to the installers. They hired the installers. The
installers worked for who sold you the countertop package, not you.

and they have been helpful but they are having a tough
getting the actual countertop folks to get back with us.

That is their problem and has nothing to do with you. If they hired ****
poor installers then they have to deal with it even if it means they have
to hire some other installer to correct the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

Dangerous quantities of radioactive materials don't occupy a lot of
space. Consider that the radioactive materials in a single nuclear bomb
are about the size of a grapefruit.

I don't like them because they stain. Also, every house in town has them.

od

Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

You mean enriched uranium.

That's a pretty big difference. ;-)

od

Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message

"olddog" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

How are countertops used?

Clue: Human anatomy.

We can do this all day. The longer you take to answer the question, the
dumber you look. By the end of the day, the stapler on my desk will be
Einstein compared with you.

How are countertops used?

Clue: Human anatomy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 7:57*am, "olddog" wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

"olddog" wrote in message

. ..

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...lth/main429275....

od

Why do you believe the information is useless?

Actually, I'm using this to keep my wife from buying granite. I'm happy with
my Formica counters.

Could there really be enough granite in a counter to produce enough radon to
be dangerous?

I don't like them because they stain. Also, every house in town has them.

od- Hide quoted text -

"they stain" not mine and its unsealed. Ive left coffee grounds on it
for months under the coffee machine. Now if you said very light colors
can be stained.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On May 23, 7:57 am, "olddog" wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

"olddog" wrote in message

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

-----------------------------------

Yeah....granite comes in lots of colors and texture. Some of the darker and
more dense granite are less susceptible to staining. I have granite in my
master shower and it's holding up pretty well but I have a sink in the guest
bathroom that darkens from the soap. Some of the textures can hide the
stains well too.

Over all it's pretty and I'm not too concerned about the radon. It's mostly
the price. I think there are better cheaper materials. I've pretty much
talked my wife out of granite. Now she's talking about a vacation in Italy.
:-(

od

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

olddog wrote:

Over all it's pretty and I'm not too concerned about the radon. It's
mostly the price. I think there are better cheaper materials. I've
pretty much talked my wife out of granite.

In the SF Bay area, granite is by far the cheapest counter top material.
It comes in in mass quantities from China, and there are now hundreds of
stores selling and installing very inexpensive Chinese granite (often
the exact same granite being sold by Home Depot or high-end kitchen and
bath remodeling stores for 2x or more the price).

I used granite because it was the cheapest material available, much less
than any of the synthetics.

The building supply industry and builders promote granite because it's
cheap, just like they promote vinyl windows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMS" wrote in message
olddog wrote:

Over all it's pretty and I'm not too concerned about the radon. It's
mostly the price. I think there are better cheaper materials. I've pretty
much talked my wife out of granite.

In the SF Bay area, granite is by far the cheapest counter top material.
It comes in in mass quantities from China, and there are now hundreds of
stores selling and installing very inexpensive Chinese granite (often the
exact same granite being sold by Home Depot or high-end kitchen and bath
remodeling stores for 2x or more the price).

I used granite because it was the cheapest material available, much less
than any of the synthetics.

The building supply industry and builders promote granite because it's
cheap, just like they promote vinyl windows.

Thanks....I'll check it out again. Last I looked most of the engineered
stone and solid surfaces were cheaper here and I liked the look of those
better.

FWIW: I'm not going through HD. I need mine "professionally" installed. ;-)

od

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "olddog" wrote:

Thanks....I'll check it out again. Last I looked most of the engineered
stone and solid surfaces were cheaper here and I liked the look of those
better.

FWIW: I'm not going through HD. I need mine "professionally" installed. ;-)

Here's my granite countertop tips:

* Do shop around on prices. I ended up paying half the Home
Depot price and HD was reasonable compared to some places.

* Check the prices on demolition and haulaway of your old
countertop and/or consider doing it yourself. I was quoted
prices of between $200 and $2000.

* Select a stone that is darker and non-porus is you're
concerned about staining. Apply a good sealant from time
to time.

* Select individual slabs that are free from cracks and
fissures.

* When it comes to replumbing the sink, do it yourself, and
save another chunk of change. Use new drain pipe -- don't
bother trying to re-use the old. Unless your existing garbage
disposal unit is very new, just replace it.

* Take the opportunity to carry out any minor repairs or
retouching on the lower cabinets after the old countertop
has been removed and before the new is installed. It's a
LOT easier!

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

olddog wrote:

Over all it's pretty and I'm not too concerned about the radon. It's
mostly the price. I think there are better cheaper materials. I've
pretty much talked my wife out of granite. Now she's talking about a
vacation in Italy. :-(

Caution: She can buy granite - or at least marble - in Italy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 23 May 2009 10:14:00 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Think harder about how a countertop is used.

Clue: Human anatomy

This is the second time you said this.

Ok, to answer your question along with your human anatomy concern,
this is what I preceive you mean.

The family wants some hotdogs. The wife has sex with her husband for
the last time, then places her husbands penis on the granite
countertop, grabs the largest knife she has, and CHOP !!!!!!

Would you like ketchup or mustard on it, honey?

LM

Close, but no prize yet.

Help with granite countertop John M Home Repair 1 September 7th 06 01:16 PM
Granite countertop Sasha Home Repair 3 June 20th 06 07:20 AM
Granite Countertop MG Home Repair 7 September 13th 05 09:59 PM
Granite Countertop Gerry Campbell Home Repair 17 February 22nd 05 05:05 PM
new granite countertop Honkey Kong Home Repair 3 February 29th 04 07:23 PM