Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to empty gunk out of large pond?

I need to empty the all the algae out of a 40,000 gallon pond in our yard so
I can repair the liner (leaking from the side and bottom). I was thinking
of draining it all the way and then I would be left with a goop of wet algae
that I could shovel out. But it might be smelly along with the dying fish
and then the neighbors might not like that. Or maybe I can use siphon
action to vacuum it out along with the water (not sure if it will plug up
the hose). Or I could use a net to take it out while there is still water
in the pond but the water makes the net heavy and that seems to take
forever. Hmm is there an easier way?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have emptied one fish pond by creating siphon with a garden hose, but if
yours is 40,000 gals it would take forever. Might try larger hoses and
try to stir up the muck. Recently had some pool work done and the
contractor used a submersible electric motor driven pump to remove
60,000 gals again I am sure the muck would have to be stirred.

scrillig tail wrote:
I need to empty the all the algae out of a 40,000 gallon pond in our
yard so I can repair the liner (leaking from the side and bottom). I
was thinking of draining it all the way and then I would be left with a
goop of wet algae that I could shovel out. But it might be smelly along
with the dying fish and then the neighbors might not like that. Or
maybe I can use siphon action to vacuum it out along with the water (not
sure if it will plug up the hose). Or I could use a net to take it out
while there is still water in the pond but the water makes the net heavy
and that seems to take forever. Hmm is there an easier way?

Posted to alt.home.repair

scrillig tail wrote:
I need to empty the all the algae out of a 40,000 gallon pond in our yard
so I can repair the liner (leaking from the side and bottom). I was
thinking of draining it all the way and then I would be left with a goop
of wet algae that I could shovel out. But it might be smelly along with
the dying fish and then the neighbors might not like that. Or maybe I
can use siphon action to vacuum it out along with the water (not sure if
it will plug up the hose). Or I could use a net to take it out while
there is still water in the pond but the water makes the net heavy and
that seems to take forever. Hmm is there an easier way?

I might try a 8-10K gph submersible pump, run it into a 55 gal drum with
some coarse filter material, then back to the pond. Keep it all agitated
while pumping. May take a few days....but pumping it all out, be like low
tide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I happen to have a bunch of 30 foot long 2" PVC pipes laying around, so I'll
glue these together with some 45 and 90 degree elbows and a couple clean-out
openings to start the siphon down the hill. I hope I can make it air-tight
with all the connections and screw-cover access holes. The unions and
elbows that I have are ABS. Not sure if I should use ABS or PVC cement to
glue these dissimilar materials. I normally would never glue ABS to PVC but
this is a one-time use under low pressure and then I'll take the whole thing
apart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also.. the garden hose was too small and algae kept getting stuck in it, so
that's why I'm considering to use the 2" pipes. A long pool hose would be a
lot more expensive than the pipes I have laying around. But since the pipes
are rigid it means I won't be able to move it around in the pond. I was
thinking of attaching some 2" flexible tubing to the end of the pipe so I
can move it around, but I don't know if there is any 2" flexible tubing like
that which can form an airtight seal against the pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 2:27�am, "scrillig tail" wrote:
Also.. �the garden hose was too small and algae kept getting stuck in it, so
that's why I'm considering to use the 2" pipes. �A long pool hose would be a
lot more expensive than the pipes I have laying around. �But since the pipes
are rigid it means I won't be able to move it around in the pond. �I was
thinking of attaching some 2" flexible tubing to the end of the pipe so I
can move it around, but I don't know if there is any 2" flexible tubing like
that which can form an airtight seal against the pipe.

If there are no fish you can chemically treat the pond to kill the
algea, making pumping out much easier.

heck there are chemicals called puron that could make the water
drinkable, after filtering out the solids.

do loook to why algea is so bad so it doesnt re occur
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 7:40*pm, "scrillig tail" wrote:
I need to empty the all the algae out of a 40,000 gallon pond in our yard so
I can repair the liner (leaking from the side and bottom).

I would rent a gasoline powered diaphragm pump (aka mud sucker). This
is the kind of pump used to clean out septic tanks and, um, small
ponds. Many small fish will survive the trip through the pump, so if
you use a basket to catch them at the outflow and dump them in a
trashcan full of pond water, you may be able to keep most of them
alive while you fix the liner.

Pologirl
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would rent a gasoline powered diaphragm pump (aka mud sucker).

I agree. Rent the pump. You can also rent a 2" hose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"scrillig tail" wrote in message
I need to empty the all the algae out of a 40,000 gallon pond in our yard
so I can repair the liner (leaking from the side and bottom). I was
thinking of draining it all the way and then I would be left with a goop of
wet algae that I could shovel out. But it might be smelly along with the
dying fish and then the neighbors might not like that. Or maybe I can use
siphon action to vacuum it out along with the water (not sure if it will
plug up the hose). Or I could use a net to take it out while there is
still water in the pond but the water makes the net heavy and that seems to
take forever. Hmm is there an easier way?

Talk to your local pet shop and/or aquarium/ pond/ pool or fish club.