Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Samuel[_2_] Rick Samuel[_2_] is offline

Default How to empty gunk out of large pond?

"nospamplse" wrote in message
Have emptied one fish pond by creating siphon with a garden hose, but if
yours is 40,000 gals it would take forever. Might try larger hoses and
try to stir up the muck. Recently had some pool work done and the
contractor used a submersible electric motor driven pump to remove 60,000
gals again I am sure the muck would have to be stirred.

scrillig tail wrote:
I need to empty the all the algae out of a 40,000 gallon pond in our yard
so I can repair the liner (leaking from the side and bottom). I was
thinking of draining it all the way and then I would be left with a goop
of wet algae that I could shovel out. But it might be smelly along with
the dying fish and then the neighbors might not like that. Or maybe I
can use siphon action to vacuum it out along with the water (not sure if
it will plug up the hose). Or I could use a net to take it out while
there is still water in the pond but the water makes the net heavy and
that seems to take forever. Hmm is there an easier way?

I might try a 8-10K gph submersible pump, run it into a 55 gal drum with
some coarse filter material, then back to the pond. Keep it all agitated
while pumping. May take a few days....but pumping it all out, be like low
tide.