Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Bosch Laser Rangefinder

After a few days use of the Bosch DLR 165 Rangefinder, I'm convinced
that it deserves a place with the trusty Fat Max measuring tape. The
nice digital readout is great for compensating for age related
eyesight difficulties or memory problems. Main reason I bought one is
because I have been cutting an occasional board exactly 1" too short
and after climbing down off a ladder can't remember the exact tape
measurement I just made. It may be something of a crutch for us old
timers, but for you young bucks it could also be a real time saver.
The length, area, and volume are really nice for laying out framing.
The inside measurement feature is great for getting rough openings to
behave. Doesn't take much of a learning curve. Only took me a half
hour to master the controls, so you texting geniuses can probably do
it in a minute.
Sources are the usual, Amazon, CPO Bosch, maybe some box stores. The
wallet pain vs. utility factor is quite good, i.e., there are a lot
more expensive and less handy tools out there.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 11:38*am, Joe wrote:
After a few days use of the Bosch DLR 165 Rangefinder, I'm convinced
that it deserves a place with the trusty Fat Max measuring tape. The
nice digital readout is great for compensating for age related
eyesight difficulties or memory problems. Main reason I bought one is
because I have been cutting an occasional board exactly 1" too short
and after climbing down off a ladder can't remember the exact tape
measurement I just made.

I cut a piece of white plastic laminate and glue it to the side of my
tape measure. It makes a dandy place to write down measurements and
it erases easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

*How's the accuracy Joe. I do a lot of measuring on ceilings and the tape
measures can be a pain. I use a FatMax as well, but even with the 13'
extension it doesn't always stay up. I wish they would put measurements on
the backside as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

[...]

Like to know how accurate it is to. I do lots of crown molding and an
accurate measuring device would be handy. Not sure it would ever be as
accurate as a tape, just easier. I usually will get in the middle of wall
and measure to each side, then add it up.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
On May 17, 11:38 am, Joe wrote:
After a few days use of the Bosch DLR 165 Rangefinder, I'm convinced
that it deserves a place with the trusty Fat Max measuring tape. The
nice digital readout is great for compensating for age related
eyesight difficulties or memory problems. Main reason I bought one is
because I have been cutting an occasional board exactly 1" too short
and after climbing down off a ladder can't remember the exact tape
measurement I just made.

I cut a piece of white plastic laminate and glue it to the side of my
tape measure. It makes a dandy place to write down measurements and
it erases easily.

Good idea, your own little whiteboard. It's
one of those things that should be a feature
on all tape measures.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 17, 10:59*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:

snip

*How's the accuracy Joe. *I do a lot of measuring on ceilings and the tape
measures can be a pain. *I use a FatMax as well, but even with the 13'
extension it doesn't always stay up. *I wish they would put measurements on
the backside as well.

John, my first tests were spot on for some fire stops between studs.
The DLR said 13 7/16" so i marked it off with a nice knife mark and
cut it a bit on the heavy side, maybe 1/32". And it was too tight!
Shaved off the excess (Fat Max said it was now 13 7/16") for a nice
snug fit. Made a believer of me. With the ability to do rough opening
diagonals accurate to 1/16" I can see a lot less wasted time on future
windows and doors. Similarly, the aggravation of trying to deal with,
say 25' to 30' layouts for partitions will be eliminated. Floor to
ceiling measurements should be a snap. Right now, I'm planning on
going over the latest project floor plan to get really accurate data
to put into a Sketchup plot so bath and plumbing work won't be so
tedious.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 17, 11:46*am, evodawg wrote:

snip

Like to know how accurate it is to. I do lots of crown molding and an
accurate measuring device would be handy. Not sure it would ever be as
accurate as a tape, just easier. I usually will get in the middle of wall
and measure to each side, then add it up.

Ohmygosh, never thought about crown molding. The DLR ought to be
perfect for large rooms. The range is 165' with +or- 1/16" at that
distance, so the unit could pay off in labor and less waste in just a
few jobs. IMO, it doesn't give up very much to a tape for accuracy.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*Thanks Joe. I looked it up on the Bosch web site. 1/16" +/- is impressive.
That works for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message news

"BILLY MAYS HERE, FOR THE Measure-n-Write!"

Please, shoot me now.

TDD

Have you watched Pitchmen on Discovery channel? Billy is quite the
character. The show give some insight as to how the whole thing works and
he actually tests the products he hawks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

On May 17, 10:59Â*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:

snip

*How's the accuracy Joe. Â*I do a lot of measuring on ceilings and the
tape measures can be a pain. Â*I use a FatMax as well, but even with the
13' extension it doesn't always stay up. Â*I wish they would put
measurements on the backside as well.

John, my first tests were spot on for some fire stops between studs.
The DLR said 13 7/16" so i marked it off with a nice knife mark and
cut it a bit on the heavy side, maybe 1/32". And it was too tight!
Shaved off the excess (Fat Max said it was now 13 7/16") for a nice
snug fit. Made a believer of me. With the ability to do rough opening
diagonals accurate to 1/16" I can see a lot less wasted time on future
windows and doors. Similarly, the aggravation of trying to deal with,
say 25' to 30' layouts for partitions will be eliminated. Floor to
ceiling measurements should be a snap. Right now, I'm planning on
going over the latest project floor plan to get really accurate data
to put into a Sketchup plot so bath and plumbing work won't be so
tedious.

Joe

well that convinced me, I'm getting one.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 11:45*pm, evodawg wrote:
Joe wrote:

John, my first tests were spot on for some fire stops between studs.
The DLR said 13 7/16" so i marked it off with a nice knife mark and
cut it a bit on the heavy side, maybe 1/32". And it was too tight!
Shaved off the excess (Fat Max said it was now 13 7/16") for a nice
snug fit. Made a believer of me. With the ability to do rough opening
diagonals accurate to 1/16" I can see a lot less wasted time on future
windows and doors. Similarly, the aggravation of trying to deal with,
say 25' to 30' layouts for partitions will be eliminated. Floor to
ceiling measurements should be a snap. Right now, I'm planning on
going over the latest project floor plan to get really accurate data
to put into a Sketchup plot so bath and plumbing work won't be so
tedious.

well that convinced me, I'm getting one.

If you like that, also check out the Hilti PD series. The PD42 is
more accurate and has a substantially greater range. Downside - it
also costs more. Their PD4 is about the equivalent of the Bosch with
a bit better range and similar accuracy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:

On May 17, 11:45Â*pm, evodawg wrote:
Joe wrote:

[...]

1/16 should be fine for what I need it to do. Lots of crown, molding,
wainscot, and TV Cabinets inside alcoves or niches. Measuring crown from
wall to wall is a pain and with this I can see lots of time savings and
1/16" accuracy is perfect. I do like Hilti's quality, have one of their
hammer/chipper drills. Thanks for the tip on the Hilti... I'll take a look
at it.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

[...]

While I'm spending your money for you, let me toss in this tidbit:
http://www.amazon.com/Leica-DISTO-Mu.../dp/B001AMPSUE
It's the Leica DISTO D3 and it has a lot of nifty features.
I want one, so buy two, please. My birthday is in August.
I'll act surprised.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:

Joe wrote:

John, my first tests were spot on for some fire stops between studs.
The DLR said 13 7/16" so i marked it off with a nice knife mark and
cut it a bit on the heavy side, maybe 1/32". And it was too tight!
Shaved off the excess (Fat Max said it was now 13 7/16") for a nice
snug fit. Made a believer of me. With the ability to do rough
opening diagonals accurate to 1/16" I can see a lot less wasted time
on future windows and doors. Similarly, the aggravation of trying to
deal with, say 25' to 30' layouts for partitions will be eliminated.
Floor to ceiling measurements should be a snap. Right now, I'm
planning on going over the latest project floor plan to get really
accurate data to put into a Sketchup plot so bath and plumbing work
won't be so tedious.

well that convinced me, I'm getting one.

If you like that, also check out the Hilti PD series. Â*The PD42 is
more accurate and has a substantially greater range. Â*Downside - it
also costs more. Â*Their PD4 is about the equivalent of the Bosch with
a bit better range and similar accuracy.

1/16 should be fine for what I need it to do. Lots of crown, molding,
wainscot, and TV Cabinets inside alcoves or niches. Measuring crown from
wall to wall is a pain and with this I can see lots of time savings and
1/16" accuracy is perfect. I do like Hilti's quality, have one of their
hammer/chipper drills. Thanks for the tip on the Hilti... I'll take a
look at it.

While I'm spending your money for you, let me toss in this tidbit:

http://www.amazon.com/Leica-DISTO-Mu.../dp/B001AMPSUE
It's the Leica DISTO D3 and it has a lot of nifty features.
I want one, so buy two, please. My birthday is in August.
I'll act surprised.

Didn't Leica make camera's? Remember my Dad had a few, he use to work for
National Geographic and a couple of other rags. I hadn't heard that name in
a long time. Quick search shows they still make camera's, good remember at
one time they were one of the best. My eye is on the Bosch. When Harbor
Freight comes out with one I'll surprise you.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message news

"BILLY MAYS HERE, FOR THE Measure-n-Write!"

Please, shoot me now.

TDD

Have you watched Pitchmen on Discovery channel? Billy is quite the
character. The show give some insight as to how the whole thing works and
he actually tests the products he hawks.

Billy Mays is just TOO enthusiastic. The other
irritating hawker is the ShamWow guy, he reminds
me of one of Joe Foreman's cartoon characters,
(Joe Cartoons) because he has one eye bigger
than the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns4mnmNBk1Y

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message news

"BILLY MAYS HERE, FOR THE Measure-n-Write!"

Please, shoot me now.

TDD

Have you watched Pitchmen on Discovery channel? Billy is quite the
character. The show give some insight as to how the whole thing works
and he actually tests the products he hawks.

Billy Mays is just TOO enthusiastic. The other
irritating hawker is the ShamWow guy, he reminds
me of one of Joe Foreman's cartoon characters,
(Joe Cartoons) because he has one eye bigger
than the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns4mnmNBk1Y

TDD

That guy reminds me of Eddie Haskel from Leave it to Beaver! The ultimate
CON!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message news

"BILLY MAYS HERE, FOR THE Measure-n-Write!"

Please, shoot me now.

TDD

Have you watched Pitchmen on Discovery channel? Billy is quite the
character. The show give some insight as to how the whole thing works and
he actually tests the products he hawks.

I have to say, I've seen it twice and thought it was pretty good.