Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable PVC -netting plant cover

Yo, group -

I have built a portable frame out of 1" PVC to be covered with netting
to protect my strawberry bed. 4'x4'x2.'

However, I can't seem to jam the joints tight enough that they won't
fall apart.

What can I "seal" the joints with so I can take the frame
apart if I want a different configuration?

Also, what's the most trouble-free way of fastening the netting tight
on 5 sides, leaving only the ground side free. Seems like a lot of
trouble to fasten at multiple points. There's probably a simple
solution, but it hasn't reached the front of my brain g.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Amateur wrote:

Yo, group -

I have built a portable frame out of 1" PVC to be covered with netting
to protect my strawberry bed. 4'x4'x2.'

However, I can't seem to jam the joints tight enough that they won't
fall apart.

Are you sure you have the right fittings? My problem is usually
getting those things apart.

Not that it matters this time, anyway. I'd try to design it so the
netting holds it together. Are you using this style clamp?
http://www.creativeshelters.com/Cano...roup=SnapClamp
[I made mine- for 3/4 pvc from scraps of black 1"plastic- the lighter
grade of 1" might be flexible enough for slipping over netting- or try
to find some scraps of 1 1/4"]

If that doesn't appeal to you, then I think 3 #8 self-drilling
sheetmetal screws on each joint ought to do it.

-snip-
Also, what's the most trouble-free way of fastening the netting tight
on 5 sides, leaving only the ground side free. Seems like a lot of
trouble to fasten at multiple points. There's probably a simple
solution, but it hasn't reached the front of my brain g.

Snap clamps if you feel the need to frame it. My dad just throws
his nets right over the bed. Pulls up a corner to pick and just lays
it back down. The occasional chipmunk gets in- but I don't think
you can beat them at that game.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Amateur wrote:
Yo, group -

I have built a portable frame out of 1" PVC to be covered with netting
to protect my strawberry bed. 4'x4'x2.'

However, I can't seem to jam the joints tight enough that they won't
fall apart.

What can I "seal" the joints with so I can take the frame
apart if I want a different configuration?

You could drill a small hole through the joint, and slip a nail or paper clip
through it, bending at the end to stay put.

Also, what's the most trouble-free way of fastening the netting tight
on 5 sides, leaving only the ground side free. Seems like a lot of
trouble to fasten at multiple points. There's probably a simple
solution, but it hasn't reached the front of my brain g.

Tie wraps? String? Baling wire?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Once you have the pieces together drill a hole thru them and use a
cotter-pin or nail to hold them together. Or even a self-tapping screw.
You might use a 'sharpie' marker to make an alignment mark on the pieces so
you can re-assemble and make it easier to line the holes up next year.

"Amateur" wrote in message
Yo, group -

I have built a portable frame out of 1" PVC to be covered with netting
to protect my strawberry bed. 4'x4'x2.'

However, I can't seem to jam the joints tight enough that they won't
fall apart.

What can I "seal" the joints with so I can take the frame
apart if I want a different configuration?

Also, what's the most trouble-free way of fastening the netting tight
on 5 sides, leaving only the ground side free. Seems like a lot of
trouble to fasten at multiple points. There's probably a simple
solution, but it hasn't reached the front of my brain g.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 4:15*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Amateur wrote:
Yo, group -

I have built a portable frame out of 1" PVC to be covered with netting
to protect my strawberry bed. * 4'x4'x2.'

However, I can't seem to jam the joints tight enough that they won't
fall apart.

Are you sure you have the right fittings? * My problem is usually
getting those things apart.

I'm using the 3-part pvc fittings shown at the web site you list
below.
IOW, two horizontal, one vertical at each of 8 points - four at top
of frame; four at bottom.

Not that it matters this time, anyway. * * I'd try to design it so the
netting holds it together. *

Don't think that would work; netting too hard to control.

I'm thinking of winding plumber's tape around the cross-pieces
before I slide them into the fittings. Might create enough friction
to keep x-pieces from slipping out.

Remember, this is a very light-weight frame, designed to be portable
and, if desired, demountable.

* Are you using this style clamp?http://www.creativeshelters.com/
Canopy-Accessories/Canopy-Accessories...
[I made mine- for 3/4 pvc from scraps of black 1"plastic- the lighter
grade of 1" might be flexible enough for slipping over netting- or try
to find some scraps of 1 1/4"]

If that doesn't appeal to you, then I think 3 #8 self-drilling
sheetmetal screws on each joint ought to do it.

Yes, that would hold, for sure, as another poster mentioned,
but I'm not up for drilling 3 holes at each of 8 sites.
(I may have to eat those words g)

-snip-

Also, what's the most trouble-free way of fastening the netting tight
on 5 sides, leaving only the ground side free. Seems like a lot of
trouble to fasten at multiple points. *There's probably a simple
solution, but it hasn't reached the front of my brain g.

Snap clamps if you feel the need to frame it. * * My dad just throws
his nets right over the bed. * Pulls up a corner to pick and just lays
it back down. * * The occasional chipmunk gets in- but I don't think
you can beat them at that game.

Jim

Hey, I think you have the answer! Don't fasten at all, just pull some
netting under the bottom frame. I will try it. Only prob. is every
two weeks when the gardener comes to mow&edge, I have to
pick it up & move to patio, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Amateur wrote:
Yo, group -

I have built a portable frame out of 1" PVC to be covered with netting
to protect my strawberry bed. 4'x4'x2.'

However, I can't seem to jam the joints tight enough that they won't
fall apart.

What can I "seal" the joints with so I can take the frame
apart if I want a different configuration?

Also, what's the most trouble-free way of fastening the netting tight
on 5 sides, leaving only the ground side free. Seems like a lot of
trouble to fasten at multiple points. There's probably a simple
solution, but it hasn't reached the front of my brain g.

TIA

Four lengths of galvanized pipe. Pound one into the ground at each of
the four corners of the bed.

Two "U" shaped PVC frames, one on each end. The "legs" fit into the
gal. pipe.

One or two braces across the top, PVC with snap clamp glued to each end.
Snap them in place to support the "U"s.

Sew the netting together, mitered at the corners so it fits like a tent
over the frame. Add grommets at the corners, hold down with tent
stakes. If you want to get fancy, add velcro for flap to get at the
berries.

End of season, fold up the netting, pull the frame apart and hang the
"U"'s in the garage. Looks good on paper )

OT - Is this plant Poison [whatever]? Red Green Home Repair 14 April 17th 09 05:00 AM
mosquito netting? N8N Home Repair 7 August 25th 08 11:36 PM
The Birth Of Thriller Cover chapter 4--The Album Cover HiBob Home Repair 0 May 27th 08 08:55 AM
bird netting frame material? Grant Erwin Metalworking 16 May 19th 06 03:14 PM
charity plant sales - plant licences? Chris Bacon UK diy 1 May 11th 05 07:49 PM