Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paper shredder repaired

The paper shredder I bought so many years ago. Finally gave
up, today. Didn't have the power to do much more than growl
at me.

Took the screws out of the bottom, and took the cover apart.
The lubricating grease on the gears had dried out. Took it
outside, rinsed off the gears with ether starting spray.
Relube with good brand of silicone.

The sticker said it was made in 2001.

Try it with some paper, and it's best it's been, in years.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 May 2009 20:21:10 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The paper shredder I bought so many years ago. Finally gave
up, today. Didn't have the power to do much more than growl
at me.

Took the screws out of the bottom, and took the cover apart.
The lubricating grease on the gears had dried out. Took it
outside, rinsed off the gears with ether starting spray.
Relube with good brand of silicone.

The sticker said it was made in 2001.

Try it with some paper, and it's best it's been, in years.

I'm proud of you. On the bright side, you didn't have to top post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The paper shredder I bought so many years ago. Finally gave
up, today. Didn't have the power to do much more than growl
at me.

Took the screws out of the bottom, and took the cover apart.
The lubricating grease on the gears had dried out. Took it
outside, rinsed off the gears with ether starting spray.
Relube with good brand of silicone.

The sticker said it was made in 2001.

Try it with some paper, and it's best it's been, in years.

I'm proud of you. On the bright side, you didn't have to top post.

Don't worry, he'll make up for it. *snicker*
I just fixed a used top freezer refrigerator
for a friend. Pulled the fan out of the back
of the freezer compartment, refilled the felt
oil reservoirs with 3-IN-ONE oil, vacuumed out
all the critters and made a new back for the
bottom to properly direct the airflow through
the condenser. The old frige now works like new.
It's amazing what a little lube and cleaning
will do for an appliance.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

made a new back for the
bottom

Details? I threw away my back after I evicted the rat who was living in
the back of my fridge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

made a new back for the
bottom

Details? I threw away my back after I evicted the rat who was living in
the back of my fridge.

It needs a back or at least half of it to
allow the condenser fan to pull air over
the coils and compressor. The full back
directs all the air back out the front so
a frig can be pushed into a nook.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

made a new back for the
bottom

Details? I threw away my back after I evicted the rat who was living in
the back of my fridge.

It needs a back or at least half of it to
allow the condenser fan to pull air over
the coils and compressor. The full back
directs all the air back out the front so
a frig can be pushed into a nook.

TDD

Yah, got that. My question is, from what, and how, did you fashion the
replacement? I seem to remember mine had some vent slots in it, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The first post of a thread is neither top nor bottom.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

The paper shredder I bought so many years ago. Finally gave
up, today. Didn't have the power to do much more than growl
at me.

Took the screws out of the bottom, and took the cover
apart.
The lubricating grease on the gears had dried out. Took it
outside, rinsed off the gears with ether starting spray.
Relube with good brand of silicone.

The sticker said it was made in 2001.

Try it with some paper, and it's best it's been, in years.

I'm proud of you. On the bright side, you didn't have to top
post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

For a short period of time. Three in one oil dries out, and
gets sticky. At least, it has for me. There is oil designed
for electric motors, that will work better. And longer
lasting.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

I just fixed a used top freezer refrigerator
for a friend. Pulled the fan out of the back
of the freezer compartment, refilled the felt
oil reservoirs with 3-IN-ONE oil, vacuumed out
all the critters and made a new back for the
bottom to properly direct the airflow through
the condenser. The old frige now works like new.
It's amazing what a little lube and cleaning
will do for an appliance.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Without the cardboard, the fan only blows in small circles.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

Details? I threw away my back after I evicted the rat who
was living in
the back of my fridge.

It needs a back or at least half of it to
allow the condenser fan to pull air over
the coils and compressor. The full back
directs all the air back out the front so
a frig can be pushed into a nook.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The first post of a thread is neither top nor bottom.

Of course not. But in your case it is your only post that isn't top
posted in a group where 99.8% of the posts are bottom posted. You
obviously miss what lots of folks are trying to tell you. Top posting
may be wrong or bottom posting may be wrong but it is impolite to be
contrary just because.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

made a new back for the
bottom
Details? I threw away my back after I evicted the rat who was living in
the back of my fridge.

It needs a back or at least half of it to
allow the condenser fan to pull air over
the coils and compressor. The full back
directs all the air back out the front so
a frig can be pushed into a nook.

TDD

Yah, got that. My question is, from what, and how, did you fashion the
replacement? I seem to remember mine had some vent slots in it, too.

You will usually see some holes and slots for
optional wiring and line for an ice maker. The
electric valve and water line usually go where
the condenser fan is. We made the back for the
refrigerator out of the corrugated plastic used
for political signs. I've used the stuff for all
kinds of things. It's a good way for a politician
to serve the public for a long time.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
For a short period of time. Three in one oil dries out, and
gets sticky. At least, it has for me. There is oil designed
for electric motors, that will work better. And longer
lasting.

You're probably referring to turbine oil that
is sold at all the supply houses in the plastic
bottle with the long pull up spout. I used the
3-IN ONE because it penetrates, cleans and lubes.
It's a fine product that has never caused me any
problems. There are times when I drill a tiny
hole into the bushing housing of small motors to
get to the felt oil reservoir and use a syringe
to get oil into it. That method gets me many more
years use out of a small motor. It works great
with unit bearing condenser/evaporator fan motors.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

We made the back for the
refrigerator out of the corrugated plastic used
for political signs.

Ah, good idea. Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Good use. I've also used box cardboard. I don't think the
vent slots are all that critical.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
Yah, got that. My question is, from what, and how, did you
fashion the
replacement? I seem to remember mine had some vent slots
in it, too.

You will usually see some holes and slots for
optional wiring and line for an ice maker. The
electric valve and water line usually go where
the condenser fan is. We made the back for the
refrigerator out of the corrugated plastic used
for political signs. I've used the stuff for all
kinds of things. It's a good way for a politician
to serve the public for a long time.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Either turbine stuff, or straight weight, ND-30 kind of
thing. I don't trust three in one.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus