Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rust on hammock poles

Good afternoon,
I have a hammock with metal poles. Sometimes the weed-eater gets a
little too close to the poles and will chip the paint and along with
the morning dew and rain, the poles have paint coming off and rust is
forming.

After getting the old paint off, sanding and painting the poles is
there a type of spray that will put a rubber coating on the poles to
protect them from further weed-eating? I know there's a rubber
coating you can dip tools in to form rubber around the handles.
..
I even thought about getting some type of pipe/pole covering that
would prevent the weed-eater at chipping away at the poles.
Is there any type of covering? Anything along the lines of pvc pipe
that I could use to fit over the poles?

I would prefer not to put weed killer around the hammock. Besides,
with the poles being on the ground rust would eventually form again.

Thanks in advance
Elliot

Posted to alt.home.repair

.
I even thought about getting some type of pipe/pole covering that
would prevent the weed-eater at chipping away at the poles.
Is there any type of covering? Anything along the lines of pvc pipe
that I could use to fit over the poles?

I would prefer not to put weed killer around the hammock. Besides,
with the poles being on the ground rust would eventually form again.

Thanks in advance
Elliot

Define 'poles', please. Is this like clothesline poles (ie, actual
pipe), thinwall tube like a modern kid's swingset, or what? If this
hammock has permanent poles, you could always encase the bases in
concrete. Is there an industrial supply in your town? If so, they all
carry protective wrap things used in factories and parking lots, to make
their posts scuff-proof. Most have a cap, though.

Me, I'd just brush on a thick coat of rustoleum once a year or so, on
the bottom couple of feet. Emphasis on BRUSH, not spray. You want it
thick, so it can stand some chipping before showing the metal to the air.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Elliot wrote:
[...]

We have yard lights at our condo that were constantly pushed over by the
doofus mowing the lawn. Solution: plant something that doesn't get
mowed. In our case (this is Florida), the plant is a tall, clumpy,
grassy plant and surrounds the light posts. Doesn't spread, stays
green. I would get some green plastic flower pots, cut out the bottom.
Put them in the ground, fill with dirt. Put hammock in place and
plant something in the pots. Edging (the pot) will keep plants in and
grass out. Or use the pot, lay down some landscape cloth and just place
stone around the feet of the hammock.

Be sure to remove all the rust before you paint the legs of the hammock
- rusty metal primer, two coats oil paint. Unfortunately, tubular stuff
will rust from the inside, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Elliot wrote:
[...]

"Pool Noodle." Available at Walmart for about $1.50 for a 4' section.

It's a thick cylinder of polystyrene (or similar), in vivid colors, with a
hole down its length. Kids use them in the pool to flay their playmates. You
can slit them on a table saw and wrap around the legs/supports of the
hammock. They make excellent shock absorbers.

Or you can use them as insulation on A/C lines.

hammock question SteveB Home Repair 6 March 27th 14 05:29 PM
Hammock Stand? Woodworking 7 July 22nd 06 06:03 AM
INSPIRATION - Pet Hammock J T Woodworking 0 September 18th 05 04:26 AM
hammock question SteveB Metalworking 3 March 30th 05 08:21 PM
Rust Removal- Rust covering? Tilt Trailer mechanisms Gunner Metalworking 22 September 14th 04 07:55 PM