Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default rust on hammock poles

Elliot wrote:
Good afternoon,
I have a hammock with metal poles. Sometimes the weed-eater gets a
little too close to the poles and will chip the paint and along with
the morning dew and rain, the poles have paint coming off and rust is
forming.

After getting the old paint off, sanding and painting the poles is
there a type of spray that will put a rubber coating on the poles to
protect them from further weed-eating? I know there's a rubber
coating you can dip tools in to form rubber around the handles.
.
I even thought about getting some type of pipe/pole covering that
would prevent the weed-eater at chipping away at the poles.
Is there any type of covering? Anything along the lines of pvc pipe
that I could use to fit over the poles?

I would prefer not to put weed killer around the hammock. Besides,
with the poles being on the ground rust would eventually form again.

Thanks in advance
Elliot

"Pool Noodle." Available at Walmart for about $1.50 for a 4' section.

It's a thick cylinder of polystyrene (or similar), in vivid colors, with a
hole down its length. Kids use them in the pool to flay their playmates. You
can slit them on a table saw and wrap around the legs/supports of the
hammock. They make excellent shock absorbers.

Or you can use them as insulation on A/C lines.