Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Waterproofing a brick front porch

I have a brick front porch and my termite contractor said water was
leaking through it. It has a brick and mortar walking surface. He
said the moss growing on it was a sign of leaks into the dirt fill.

(The termite treatment should work anyway, btw)

He suggested getting the top replaced with concrete. But I was
looking for something easier.

I guess I should examine the mortar and fix any breaks. Any other
suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom, this doesn't add up so well. The moss, especially if it is
green colored is due to the sun not shining on the porch or some
other condition that doesn't allow the surface to dry out. If the
top of the porch was only bricks and mortar laying on soil, it
would have disintegrated years ago. The only way the bricks could
be there is with a full concrete bed under them. You may have
other issues, but you're off to a bad start. If the bricks and
mortar are in petty good condition it can be sealed with a Silane
or siloxane masonry type sealer, but you've said you need to
repair mortar so I don't think this is your condition. The best
permanent cure probably will be concrete. If you want to just get
by for a while, you might try topping the brick work with a
topping cement like Mapei Planipatch or similar.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Tom Adams" wrote in message
I have a brick front porch and my termite contractor said water
was
leaking through it. It has a brick and mortar walking surface.
He
said the moss growing on it was a sign of leaks into the dirt
fill.

(The termite treatment should work anyway, btw)

He suggested getting the top replaced with concrete. But I was
looking for something easier.

I guess I should examine the mortar and fix any breaks. Any
other
suggestions?

Front porch re-do SteveBell Home Repair 3 September 22nd 08 02:55 AM
Front porch re-do jim Home Repair 0 September 21st 08 10:04 PM
brick porch Sis Home Repair 4 October 25th 05 05:50 PM
Cable through wood or brick - waterproofing ? Ziggy UK diy 5 February 4th 05 10:23 AM
Waterproofing a brick foundation Yardena Home Repair 3 July 5th 03 05:49 PM