Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Front porch re-do

a wrote:

Just redoing the front porch - ~5'x6'wide. It's only ~3' high and
there are cement steps. It's rotted all to hell, but my only
question is what's the common wisdom on attaching a ledger to the
foundation (really hard - poured in 1954). The 2x6 that's there is
only nailed - and those nails are badly rusted - some right through.

I bought some 6" galv. lag bolts (3/8) and planned on using lag
shields. I have since done some looking and people seem to be weary
of them.

Use a hammer drill to make new holes for the lag bolts and shields.
Rent one if you can't borrow one. The holes will take 20 seconds
instead of 20 minutes each. Your back will thank you.

You can also use epoxy to anchor the bolts.

Don't overtighten the bolts. You might crack the concrete.

Use pressure-treated (PT) wood for the ledger.

Use hangers for the joists.

Use double-hot-dipped hardware to fasten to PT wood. Don't buy the
cheap electroplated stuff. The zinc coating is too thin, and you'll rub
most of it off going into the wood.

Put a z-flange (also called a drip cap) on top of the ledger so water
doesn't run behind it. It will last longer.

Make the porch slope away from the house about 1/4" per foot so water
drains off.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

SteveBell wrote:

Put a z-flange (also called a drip cap) on top of the ledger so water
doesn't run behind it. It will last longer.

Thanks! How does one butt joists and lay the "decking" if there's a flange
over the ledger?

I guess a pic might help... looking...

Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

a wrote:
SteveBell wrote:

Put a z-flange (also called a drip cap) on top of the ledger so water
doesn't run behind it. It will last longer.

Thanks! How does one butt joists and lay the "decking" if there's a flange
over the ledger?

I guess a pic might help... looking...

OK - I get it... but there's plenty of overhang over the ledger anyway -
original shingles + foam + vinyl siding. The ledger wood itself is good -
the nails must have rusted from years and years of atmospheric exposure. I
think the ledger is original to the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

a wrote:

a wrote:
SteveBell wrote:

Put a z-flange (also called a drip cap) on top of the ledger so
water doesn't run behind it. It will last longer.

Thanks! How does one butt joists and lay the "decking" if there's
a flange over the ledger?

I guess a pic might help... looking...

OK - I get it... but there's plenty of overhang over the ledger
anyway - original shingles + foam + vinyl siding. The ledger wood
itself is good - the nails must have rusted from years and years of
atmospheric exposure. I think the ledger is original to the house.

Some of the water you need to worry about is condensation from behind
the shingles, foam, and siding. It comes down when the weather is just
right--or just wrong. :-)

The flashing is supposed to go behind all the exterior wall covering,
including the vapor barrier. That way, any condensation won't be
trapped behind the ledger.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Front porch re-do jim Home Repair 0 September 21st 08 10:04 PM
Refinish Front Porch [email protected] Home Repair 8 March 21st 08 09:15 PM
enclosed front porch Chris Home Repair 4 February 25th 07 05:05 PM
Front porch flooring yaofeng Home Repair 5 October 2nd 06 03:47 AM
Carpeted Front Porch? Suzie-Q Home Repair 9 January 4th 05 12:12 AM