Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cultured Marble Scratch Buffing Suggestions?

I can barely feel the sctrach with my fingernail but it is visible.

I tried using a random orbit car polisher and red rubbing compound.

No joy.

Any suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 1, 8:57*am, wrote:
I can barely feel the sctrach with my fingernail but it is visible.

I tried using a random orbit car polisher and red rubbing compound.

No joy.

Any suggestions?

Any polishing will leave a dip in the surface which may or may not be
acceptable if viewed in certain lights. One other option is to modify
DadiOH's technique and do the entire surface to a matte finish to mask
blemishes. Or, replace the slab with a new one. Your call.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote:

The rubbing compound was to fine to remove the scratch.

1. Remove scratch with fine sand paper (black silicon carbide "wet or dry"
works well). How fine? As fine as possible but coarse enough to remove the
scratch without sanding forever.

2. Sand area with finer papers, working to #1000 or so as the final.

3. *Polish* with the rubbing compound (or other) to restore the sheen you
want.

However..... Keep in mind that cultured marble is a manmade product that cosists
of a powered marble color base that is covered with a thin gelcoat. If you sand
or otherwise bring the gelcoat down to the color, you will not be able to
restore the gloss finish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Neville" wrote in message
"dadiOH" wrote:

The rubbing compound was to fine to remove the scratch.

1. Remove scratch with fine sand paper (black silicon carbide "wet or dry"
works well). How fine? As fine as possible but coarse enough to remove
the
scratch without sanding forever.

2. Sand area with finer papers, working to #1000 or so as the final.

3. *Polish* with the rubbing compound (or other) to restore the sheen you
want.

However..... Keep in mind that cultured marble is a manmade product that
cosists
of a powered marble color base that is covered with a thin gelcoat. If you
sand
or otherwise bring the gelcoat down to the color, you will not be able to
restore the gloss finish.

I had outstanding results repairing my damaged cultured marble vanity using
a kit from this company in Iowa. They are experts in repairs to cultured
marble, acrylic, polycarbonate, and other such surfaces. They answer their
phone calls personally with exert advice and their kits are very reasonably
priced. My entire bathroom is filled with cultured marble panels on all
walls, tub area, counter tops, and around windows and doors including
cultured marble window sills, so I have a lot to take care of. This was
installed in the mid 1970s and looks absolutely brand new as a result of
these superb finishing / repair products:

http://www.micro-surface.com/default.cfm?page_id=175

I have no connection to this company other than the fact that I bought and
used their products with great success and satisfaction.

Smarty

Can I cut cultured marble? Jon Wood Woodworking 18 August 23rd 18 03:05 AM
Cultured marble scratches Ron Peterson Home Ownership 1 January 4th 08 04:30 PM
cultured marble tubs brent Home Repair 6 December 20th 07 03:46 AM
Cultured marble countertop Bill Home Repair 1 January 4th 04 11:30 PM
Cultured marble cover up ? trinaz Home Repair 2 July 27th 03 09:34 PM