Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repair sunken asphalt ramp

I have a small ramp built of asphalt about 5 feet wide and 4 feet in length
for my lawn tractor. Over the year, it has sunken about 3-4 inches similar
to the problem with asphalt driveway at the juction of the garage entrance.
I would like to rebuild it up with asphalt such as Bomix. My question is -
do I need to put some type of adhesive on the old surface before laying the
new asphalt, or is Bomix potholes repair asphalt the material to use?
Would concrete mix on top of the old ram a better idea to repair this ?

Thank you for all your advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Luckyme wrote:
I have a small ramp built of asphalt about 5 feet wide and 4 feet in
length for my lawn tractor. Over the year, it has sunken about 3-4
inches similar to the problem with asphalt driveway at the juction of
the garage entrance. I would like to rebuild it up with asphalt such as
Bomix. My question is - do I need to put some type of adhesive on the
old surface before laying the new asphalt, or is Bomix potholes repair
asphalt the material to use? Would concrete mix on top of the old ram a
better idea to repair this ?

Thank you for all your advice.

Concrete sounds like a bad idea since it is rigid.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 3:45�pm, "Luckyme" wrote:
I have a small ramp built of asphalt about 5 feet wide and 4 feet in length
for my lawn tractor. �Over the year, it has sunken about 3-4 inches similar
to the problem with asphalt driveway at the juction of the garage entrance.
I would like to rebuild it up with asphalt such as Bomix. �My question is -
do I need to put some type of adhesive on the old surface before laying the
new asphalt, or is Bomix potholes repair asphalt the material to use?
Would concrete mix on top of the old ram a better idea to repair this ?

Thank you for all your advice.

whatever is causing the sag, probably a poor base will continue to get
worse, better to rip up and replace entirely, with new gravel base
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Luckyme wrote:
I have a small ramp built of asphalt about 5 feet wide and 4 feet in
length for my lawn tractor. Over the year, it has sunken about 3-4
inches similar to the problem with asphalt driveway at the juction of the
garage entrance. I would like to rebuild it up with asphalt such as
Bomix. My question is - do I need to put some type of adhesive on the
old surface before laying the new asphalt, or is Bomix potholes repair
asphalt the material to use? Would concrete mix on top of the old ram a
better idea to repair this ?

Thank you for all your advice.

Concrete sounds like a bad idea since it is rigid.

Lou

I have a feeling you are right. But I just don't know if the new asphalt
will bond to the old asphalt surface.

Any advice, anyone ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Luckyme wrote:
I have a small ramp built of asphalt about 5 feet wide and 4 feet
in length for my lawn tractor. Over the year, it has sunken
about 3-4 inches similar to the problem with asphalt driveway at
the juction of the garage entrance. I would like to rebuild it
up with asphalt such as Bomix. My question is - do I need to
put some type of adhesive on the old surface before laying the
new asphalt, or is Bomix potholes repair asphalt the material to
use? Would concrete mix on top of the old ram a better idea to
repair this ?

Thank you for all your advice.

Concrete sounds like a bad idea since it is rigid.

I have a feeling you are right. But I just don't know if the new
asphalt will bond to the old asphalt surface.

Any advice, anyone ?

The summer I spent on the grounds crew at my college, we mopped the
inside of potholes with what looked like liquid tar, then tamped in the
cold patch asphalt. The boss said the liquid stuff made the cold patch
stick better. I took him at his word.

Go to the hardware store and read the instructions on the can of
liquid-tar-like-stuff. It's probably cheap enough that you should just
use it.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 7:06*pm, "SteveBell" wrote:
"LouB" wrote in message
Luckyme wrote:
[...]

Yes, there is a tack coat product that is used by commercial companies
when doing asphalt patch work and it's applied as you say. It helps
bond the patch to the existing asphalt.

Go to the hardware store and read the instructions on the can of
liquid-tar-like-stuff. It's probably cheap enough that you should just
use it.

But here's the problem. The local hardware store isn't going to have
it, nor will they know what you're talking about. And even if they
did give you some "liquid-tar-like stuff", it's going to be roofing
cement, which I highly doubt is at all suited to the application. In
fact, I suspect it's worse than using nothing.

I looked around for it a bit years ago and had no success. Perhaps
it can be found online. But next problem will likely be that it
comes in large quantities suited to pros.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Luckyme" wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Luckyme wrote:
I have a small ramp built of asphalt about 5 feet wide and 4 feet in
length for my lawn tractor. Over the year, it has sunken about 3-4
inches similar to the problem with asphalt driveway at the juction of the
garage entrance. I would like to rebuild it up with asphalt such as
Bomix. My question is - do I need to put some type of adhesive on the
old surface before laying the new asphalt, or is Bomix potholes repair
asphalt the material to use? Would concrete mix on top of the old ram a
better idea to repair this ?

Thank you for all your advice.

Concrete sounds like a bad idea since it is rigid.

Lou

I have a feeling you are right. But I just don't know if the new asphalt
will bond to the old asphalt surface.

Any advice, anyone ?

If the old asphalt sank 3-4 inches in one year, putting new stuff on top
isn't going to fix the problem whether it sticks or not. You need to rip
it all apart and lay a proper base that won't sink.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Luckyme" wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Luckyme wrote:
[...]

It was a typo - it should read " Over the years" ( more like 10 years). My
apology, Smitty Two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 3:45*pm, "Luckyme" wrote:
I have a small ramp built of asphalt about 5 feet wide and 4 feet in length
for my lawn tractor. *Over the year, it has sunken about 3-4 inches similar
to the problem with asphalt driveway at the juction of the garage entrance.
I would like to rebuild it up with asphalt such as Bomix. *My question is -
do I need to put some type of adhesive on the old surface before laying the
new asphalt, or is Bomix potholes repair asphalt the material to use?
Would concrete mix on top of the old ram a better idea to repair this ?

I agree with those who say that it will continue to sink.

Frankly it will probably cost about the same to rip it out, fix the
base, and replace with concrete or a treated wood ramp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Luckyme" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Luckyme" wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Luckyme wrote:
[...]

Ah, gotcha. That sounds a little better. Resurfacing might hold you for
a while, then. Still sounds like a lot of sinking, though, particularly
with only the weight of a lawn tractor on it.