Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Houston, Texas price for central a/c installed

Got a quote today for a Trane 4 ton (replacing a 3.5 ton) XL15 outside
unit with a matching Trane coil inside. Installed was $7800. I'm
thinking a more fair price is $7000 but this is just based on some
brief internet reading.

I was told that a 1/2 ton upsize is not a big deal. In general do you
agree? I'm guessing the a/c guy who spoke with me is correct.

I'm going to get another 1 or 2 bids but meanwhile any suggestions or
comments? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 8:42*pm, Observer wrote:
Got a quote today for a Trane 4 ton (replacing a 3.5 ton) XL15 outside
unit with a matching Trane coil inside. *Installed was $7800. *I'm
thinking a more fair price is $7000 but this is just based on some
brief internet reading. *

I was told that a 1/2 ton upsize is not a big deal. *In general do you
agree? *I'm guessing the a/c guy who spoke with me is correct.

I'm going to get another 1 or 2 bids but meanwhile any suggestions or
comments? * *Thanks.

Did the old unit cool on the hottest days to your comfort and get
humidity low by running near 100%, if so it was probably sized right.
I had AC put in , then I insulated and put in new windows. Now I am
humid because my AC is oversized to the point I need to run 2
dehumidifiers because the AC cools to quickly, and wont remove much
moisture. 1/2 ton upsizing can be a big deal since it wont run as long
to remove humidity. A pro would know that and im not a pro. A written
load calculation is best, but if you cooled before and humidity was
low, why pay More, for a bigger unit. If you did any insulating or
will and considering the old unit probably wasnt running 100%, 1/2 ton
less sounds more logical, get a real pro to help you do it right.
After its installed and paid for its to late.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 8:42*pm, Observer wrote:
Got a quote today for a Trane 4 ton (replacing a 3.5 ton) XL15 outside
unit with a matching Trane coil inside. *Installed was $7800. *I'm
thinking a more fair price is $7000 but this is just based on some
brief internet reading. *

I was told that a 1/2 ton upsize is not a big deal. *In general do you
agree? *I'm guessing the a/c guy who spoke with me is correct.

I'm going to get another 1 or 2 bids but meanwhile any suggestions or
comments? * *Thanks.

Id rather pay 10% more for a top install, where I knew everything was
planned out, sizing, ducts and everything was tested, so it would get
me the efficency and comfort I paid for. Ive had and seen to many hack
jobs. Sound like you gotta hacker for a buk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Observer wrote:

I was told that a 1/2 ton upsize is not a big deal. In general do you
agree? I'm guessing the a/c guy who spoke with me is correct.

If your installer is using a rule of thumb or telling you 1/2 ton plus or minus
is no big deal, you need to find one who knows how to a do a Manual J and Manual
D evaluation of your home.

If he's oversizing - especially in Houston - you will be short cycling and a
prime candidate for mold. If he undersizes, you won't like the lack of cooling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Observer wrote:
Got a quote today for a Trane 4 ton (replacing a 3.5 ton) XL15 outside
unit with a matching Trane coil inside. Installed was $7800. I'm
thinking a more fair price is $7000 but this is just based on some
brief internet reading.

I was told that a 1/2 ton upsize is not a big deal. In general do you
agree? I'm guessing the a/c guy who spoke with me is correct.

I'm going to get another 1 or 2 bids but meanwhile any suggestions or
comments? Thanks.

My compressor (Trane) went boom during hurricane Yikes. I have a neighbor
who works for a large A/C company during the day and free-lances during the
evening. He came over one night and replaced the entire condensing unit with
a two-year old unit (Ruud - owned by Rheem), recharged it, etc. Charged
eight hundred bucks and guaranteed the whole shebang for a couple of years.

It's been working swell for seven months.

I'm confident his guarantee will hold up, because:
a) He knows I know where he lives, and
b) He knows I have guns.

Send me a note and I'll pass on your contact information to my neighbor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you mean to write "I know where HE lives"?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

I'm confident his guarantee will hold up, because:
a) He knows I know where he lives, and
b) He knows I have guns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like a lot of money. Please make a few more calls.
I'm in the Rochester, NY aread. The guy I used to work for,
we used to put AC into a house which didn't have AC. And the
final price was less than half what you quoted. Of course,
it's a different market.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Observer" wrote in message
news Got a quote today for a Trane 4 ton (replacing a 3.5 ton)
XL15 outside
unit with a matching Trane coil inside. Installed was
$7800. I'm
thinking a more fair price is $7000 but this is just based
on some
brief internet reading.

I was told that a 1/2 ton upsize is not a big deal. In
general do you
agree? I'm guessing the a/c guy who spoke with me is
correct.

I'm going to get another 1 or 2 bids but meanwhile any
suggestions or
comments? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Observer wrote:
Got a quote today for a Trane 4 ton (replacing a 3.5 ton) XL15 outside
unit with a matching Trane coil inside. Installed was $7800. I'm
thinking a more fair price is $7000 but this is just based on some
brief internet reading.

Fair may be $6500 or $8500. None of us can see the job from here. We don't
know what pitfalls may be in this particular job, what obstructions, etc.
may be in place. Location and accessibility can add quite a bit to a job
also. Talk to a couple of contractors before you decide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Observer" wrote in message
news
Got a quote today for a Trane 4 ton (replacing a 3.5 ton) XL15 outside
unit with a matching Trane coil inside. Installed was $7800. I'm
thinking a more fair price is $7000 but this is just based on some
brief internet reading.

I was told that a 1/2 ton upsize is not a big deal. In general do you
agree? I'm guessing the a/c guy who spoke with me is correct.

I'm going to get another 1 or 2 bids but meanwhile any suggestions or
comments? Thanks.

Do not fall into the trap of believing that more BTUH is better and if you
can get a larger unit for only slightly more you should do it. Oversizing is
common for many reasons but causes unnecessary expense in initial
installation, operating costs, and repairs. Comfort satisfaction can
actually be reduced due to inadequate de-humidification, and increased noise
and cold drafts. Get as close as possible to the size required for the
calculated heat load. Pay lots more attention to the installer than to the
equipment brand or size.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Did you mean to write "I know where HE lives"?

Uh, that's what I did write.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I went back and looked at my post. Yep, that's what you
wrote. I wonder how I missed that? Been a hot couple days.
I've been making some strange mistakes. Ah, well.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Did you mean to write "I know where HE lives"?

Uh, that's what I did write.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I went back and looked at my post. Yep, that's what you
wrote. I wonder how I missed that? Been a hot couple days.
I've been making some strange mistakes. Ah, well.

I was inspired by Daniel Hannan, British MP, who recently said of Gordon
Brown: "We know that you know that we know (that you're just putting us
on)."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Daniel Hannan, was Houston, Texas price for central a/c installed

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:35:20 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

I was inspired by Daniel Hannan, British MP, who recently said of Gordon
Brown: "We know that you know that we know (that you're just putting us
on)."

An outstanding video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94lW6Y4tBXs

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was inspired by Daniel Hannan, British MP, who recently said of
Gordon Brown: "We know that you know that we know (that you're just
putting us on)."

An outstanding video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94lW6Y4tBXs

Thanks for the link. I never tire of watching it. Here's another of my
favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqmDDOm15gQ

(I love it when a pompous ass gets his comeuppance!)