Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Houston, Texas price for central a/c installed

"Observer" wrote in message
news
Got a quote today for a Trane 4 ton (replacing a 3.5 ton) XL15 outside
unit with a matching Trane coil inside. Installed was $7800. I'm
thinking a more fair price is $7000 but this is just based on some
brief internet reading.

I was told that a 1/2 ton upsize is not a big deal. In general do you
agree? I'm guessing the a/c guy who spoke with me is correct.

I'm going to get another 1 or 2 bids but meanwhile any suggestions or
comments? Thanks.

Do not fall into the trap of believing that more BTUH is better and if you
can get a larger unit for only slightly more you should do it. Oversizing is
common for many reasons but causes unnecessary expense in initial
installation, operating costs, and repairs. Comfort satisfaction can
actually be reduced due to inadequate de-humidification, and increased noise
and cold drafts. Get as close as possible to the size required for the
calculated heat load. Pay lots more attention to the installer than to the
equipment brand or size.

Don Young