Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter...

The upside down hanging Tomato planter....SWMBO wants one..But me being VERY
skeptical of things advertised on cable think it's crap...Has anyone bought
and used one or know somebody who has??? Does it work???? Any help talking
her out of it would be appreciated...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
The upside down hanging Tomato planter....SWMBO wants one..But me being
VERY skeptical of things advertised on cable think it's crap...Has anyone
bought and used one or know somebody who has??? Does it work???? Any help
talking her out of it would be appreciated...LOL...

They seem to work ( no personal experience) but making your own is far
cheaper.

The wife has discussed this in some detail with an experienced DIY person.
Ask and I will try to post some info this time tomorrow as she has gone to
bed for the night.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
The upside down hanging Tomato planter....SWMBO wants one..But me being
VERY skeptical of things advertised on cable think it's crap...Has anyone
bought and used one or know somebody who has??? Does it work???? Any help
talking her out of it would be appreciated...LOL...

They seem to work ( no personal experience) but making your own is far
cheaper.

The wife has discussed this in some detail with an experienced DIY person.
Ask and I will try to post some info this time tomorrow as she has gone to
bed for the night.

Sure , ask her...Saving 20-30 bucks is ALWAYS a good thing...Thanks....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
The upside down hanging Tomato planter....SWMBO wants one..But me being
VERY skeptical of things advertised on cable think it's crap...Has anyone
bought and used one or know somebody who has??? Does it work???? Any help
talking her out of it would be appreciated...LOL...

Bottom line ..........

Yes, they do work.

But, you can do the same thing for far far far less money. What they sell
for a few dollars, you can buy for a few pennies. Free 5 gallon buckets
work the same way. Cut a hole in the bottom, put a plant in there, some
dirt, and water from the top.

Don't know if you've ever grown tomatos. They ain't rocket surgery, but
they ain't simple, either. But if you're willing to put in a little work,
some time, and some regular care, the rewards are worth it. All you need is
good starter plants, regular care, and a little knowledge. That doesn't
come in any package, including the upside down packages sold for $$$$$.

Have fun. Home grown tomatos are luscious!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I googled for "hanging tomato planter"

http://www.curbly.com/DIY-Maven/post...o-planter#jump

Looks like a fun project

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
The upside down hanging Tomato planter....SWMBO wants one..But me being
VERY skeptical of things advertised on cable think it's crap...Has anyone
bought and used one or know somebody who has??? Does it work???? Any help
talking her out of it would be appreciated...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
I googled for "hanging tomato planter"

http://www.curbly.com/DIY-Maven/post...o-planter#jump

Looks like a fun project

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
The upside down hanging Tomato planter....SWMBO wants one..But me being
VERY skeptical of things advertised on cable think it's crap...Has anyone
bought and used one or know somebody who has??? Does it work???? Any help
talking her out of it would be appreciated...LOL...

THANKYOU for the link Walter...I never really paid any attention to the
commercial cuz I thought it was BS and didn't even consider making
one...LOL...Being an old drywall taper I have PILES of 5 gallon buckets....I
can make them for next to nothing....May even sell a few in the wife's
yardsale all painted up...LOL...Thankyou to everyone else who replied as
well.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 7:20*pm, "benick" wrote:
"Walter R." wrote in message

I googled for "hanging tomato planter"

http://www.curbly.com/DIY-Maven/post...an-upside-down...

Looks like a fun project

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

"benick" wrote in message
The upside down hanging Tomato planter....SWMBO wants one..But me being
VERY skeptical of things advertised on cable think it's crap...Has anyone
bought and used one or know somebody who has??? Does it work???? Any help
talking her out of it would be appreciated...LOL...

THANKYOU for the link Walter...I never really paid any attention to the
commercial cuz I thought it was BS and didn't even consider making
one...LOL...Being an old drywall taper I have PILES of 5 gallon buckets.....I
can make them for next to nothing....May even sell a few in the wife's
yardsale all painted up...LOL...Thankyou to everyone else who replied as
well.....- Hide quoted text -

I, also, made my own with 5 gallon bucket. Used it for three years,
never got but a couple tomatos off it but then I have never had much
luck growing tomatoes anyhow.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 19:34:58 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"benick" wrote in message
[...]

Often folks are not familiar with determinate and indeterminate
varieties of tomato plants. It makes a difference in how they grow.

The right plant in the right place will produce, just sayin'

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"benick" wrote in message
[...]

The right plant in the right place will produce, just sayin'- Hide quoted text -

Been there done this. the plants having a realtively small root system
will require daily watering in hot dry weather.

makes for yet another daily job
Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote:

The upside down hanging Tomato planter....SWMBO wants one..But me being VERY
skeptical of things advertised on cable think it's crap...Has anyone bought
and used one or know somebody who has??? Does it work???? Any help talking
her out of it would be appreciated...LOL...

If you *have* to plant your tomatoes in a planter, they work as well
as any planter. But tomatoes love to have a constant level of
moisture in their root system & it is a PITA to do with any planter.

Now that the newer upside down planters seem to be encouraging folks
to plant on top of the planter, too, there might be a slight advantage
of saving room and shading the soil- but plant them in the ground
is still the best way to grow tomatoes.

OTOH- SWMBO, MBO!. So get her one. And casually plant a couple
plants in some nice rich soil. Don'r say a word, but by august
she'll come around.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 10:20*pm, "benick" wrote:
"Walter R." wrote in message

I googled for "hanging tomato planter"

http://www.curbly.com/DIY-Maven/post...an-upside-down...

Looks like a fun project

THANKYOU for the link Walter...I never really paid any attention to the
commercial cuz I thought it was BS and didn't even consider making
one...LOL...Being an old drywall taper I have PILES of 5 gallon buckets.....I
can make them for next to nothing....May even sell a few in the wife's
yardsale all painted up...LOL...

That's not a half bad idea. I'm sure they'd sell at a garage sale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

All right, I've read all the comments, and will tell you this.
If she wants tomatoes, tell her to scrap the planter, and do
it a different way. Came from "Crockett's Victory Garden",
I think.

Take a tomato plant that's about 15" tall, and pull the leaves
off from the root ball up to about 10-12".

Cut a little trench about as wide as 3" diameter, and put the
dirt on the side along the trench, after breaking it up.

Put the plant in the trench, lengthwise. Obviously, take the
little plastic root cup away.

Sprinkle CEMENT DUST on the trench dirt, and the root ball,
then put the dirt back in over the plant.

Mud it in.

After about a day, the plant starts reaching for the sun.
And it is going to have a long base for roots. The cement dust
will provide calcium, some iron. etc. for the plant.

Put in four posts, and stretch plastic construction fence
horizontally between them, about 18" from the ground, over
the plant(s). The plant comes up through it, and the plastic
fence material supports the tomatoes. Easy enough to add
another layer of the fence if you decide it could help. But
you need to decide that relatively early in the season after
the plants have come up through the first layer.

Total cost? She might be able to get a mayonaise jar
of cement dust for free if there is a broken bag at Home
Depot and she tells what she wants it for. That leaves
a scrap of construction fence and something to use as
posts. I've used conduit driven into the ground and drilled
with some holes to hold the cord that holds the fence
pieces. But tell her how terribly expensive it was if you like.

On Apr 26, 8:45*pm, "benick" wrote:
The upside down hanging Tomato planter....SWMBO wants one..But me being VERY
skeptical of things advertised on cable think it's crap...Has anyone bought
and used one or know somebody who has??? Does it work???? Any help talking
her out of it would be appreciated...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:39:36 -0700 (PDT), Michael B
wrote:

All right, I've read all the comments, and will tell you this.
If she wants tomatoes, tell her to scrap the planter, and do
it a different way. Came from "Crockett's Victory Garden",
I think.

Take a tomato plant that's about 15" tall, and pull the leaves
off from the root ball up to about 10-12".

Cut a little trench about as wide as 3" diameter, and put the
dirt on the side along the trench, after breaking it up.

Put the plant in the trench, lengthwise. Obviously, take the
little plastic root cup away.

Sprinkle CEMENT DUST on the trench dirt, and the root ball,
then put the dirt back in over the plant.

Mud it in.

Interesting. I've never heard or read about using cement dust.

You can strip 2/3 of the bottom leaves before planting and plant as
you describe. Even just stripping the leaves and plating deeper will
develop a strong root system.

Where the leaves are snipped, add a sprinkle of rooting hormone. The
root will develop faster, be stronger an feed/water the fruit better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
The upside down hanging Tomato planter....SWMBO wants one..But me being
VERY skeptical of things advertised on cable think it's crap...Has
anyone bought and used one or know somebody who has??? Does it work????
Any help talking her out of it would be appreciated...LOL...

They seem to work ( no personal experience) but making your own is far
cheaper.

The wife has discussed this in some detail with an experienced DIY
person. Ask and I will try to post some info this time tomorrow as she
has gone to bed for the night.

Sure , ask her...Saving 20-30 bucks is ALWAYS a good thing...Thanks....

All the information my wife had has already been posted except for 3 things:

A 2.5 gallon bucket of a pretty color is large enough.

Your hole in the bottom can be larger if you line the bottom of the bucket
with burlap or old panty hose, this helps you install a larger plant.

A toe section of old panty hose can help you compress and protect the leaves
of a large plant as you feed them through the hole.

2.5 gallon bucket for looks and weight reduction. 5 gallon for less
watering where weight or appearance is not a concern.

Have fun and buy the wife lunch with the savings.

Colbyt

Heavy duty tomato cages [email protected] Metalworking 11 November 24th 20 09:40 AM
The tomato between the electrical countryside is the water that injures sooner. Abdel Al Queda Metalworking 0 December 10th 07 01:41 AM
PLANTER BOX - CHAIR J T Woodworking 0 November 22nd 06 05:16 PM
Pyramid Planter Rinks Ranch Woodworking 11 April 17th 04 09:47 AM