Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael B Michael B is offline

Default Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter...

All right, I've read all the comments, and will tell you this.
If she wants tomatoes, tell her to scrap the planter, and do
it a different way. Came from "Crockett's Victory Garden",
I think.

Take a tomato plant that's about 15" tall, and pull the leaves
off from the root ball up to about 10-12".

Cut a little trench about as wide as 3" diameter, and put the
dirt on the side along the trench, after breaking it up.

Put the plant in the trench, lengthwise. Obviously, take the
little plastic root cup away.

Sprinkle CEMENT DUST on the trench dirt, and the root ball,
then put the dirt back in over the plant.

Mud it in.

After about a day, the plant starts reaching for the sun.
And it is going to have a long base for roots. The cement dust
will provide calcium, some iron. etc. for the plant.

Put in four posts, and stretch plastic construction fence
horizontally between them, about 18" from the ground, over
the plant(s). The plant comes up through it, and the plastic
fence material supports the tomatoes. Easy enough to add
another layer of the fence if you decide it could help. But
you need to decide that relatively early in the season after
the plants have come up through the first layer.

Total cost? She might be able to get a mayonaise jar
of cement dust for free if there is a broken bag at Home
Depot and she tells what she wants it for. That leaves
a scrap of construction fence and something to use as
posts. I've used conduit driven into the ground and drilled
with some holes to hold the cord that holds the fence
pieces. But tell her how terribly expensive it was if you like.

On Apr 26, 8:45*pm, "benick" wrote:
The upside down hanging Tomato planter....SWMBO wants one..But me being VERY
skeptical of things advertised on cable think it's crap...Has anyone bought
and used one or know somebody who has??? Does it work???? Any help talking
her out of it would be appreciated...LOL...