Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Warning -- How many have propane tanks in the garage?

On Apr 23, 9:28*pm, (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:
In article , "benick" wrote:
Your worried about storing gasoline , grill propane or other flammables in
your garage and yet park your cars ATV's and other GAS filled toys in it red
hot after driving???

Yes. There's a big difference. I check my car (virtually)
every single day.

When folks store propane tanks in the garage, they tend to go
unchecked for very long periods.

In the case of the explosion that was the original topic of
this thread, a homeowner had stored several propane tanks
in his garage but not used/inspected them for a period of
some years I think. That is when failure of valves and/or
hoses can arise, even corrosion of the tank itself.

One also has to balance practical considerations with the
quest for safety. Failing to park ones car in the garage
can, at least to some extent, defeat the purpose of having
a garage. It would be like owning a very nice gourmet
kitchen but being scared to cook any actual food in it due
to the fire risk.

For most folks it's probably not that ardous to find a
safer storage location outside of the home.

As an aside, if was to store any gasoline/propane powered
machine (e.g. gasoline powered lawn mover) in my garage for
an extended period (like the winter) I would DEFINITELY
drain the gas tank. This for safety and other reasons.

| Malcolm Hoar * * * * * "The more I practice, the luckier I get". |
| * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Gary Player. |
|http://www.malch.com/* * * * * * * Shpx gur PQN. * * * * * * * *|

Cars are supposed to be parked in garages?!?!?!?!

;)

TMT
Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

"h" wrote in message

You must have a postage stamp sized property if you can mow the lawn
in less than two hours. Those of us with sizable yards can go through
50 hours pretty fast.

If I had to spend more than two hours, I'd let it go to hay or
whatever comes up naturally. Some people get their jollies cutting
the lawn, but there is more to life than a big green pasture.

I mow about an acre or so of about 2 1/2 acres that we own with 2 push
mowers...Good exercise for us...Takes us about 2 hours or so including
trimming.....Helps to keep the bugs down...Here in Maine we have bumper
crops of Blackflies and Mosquitos....

I'd love to let the back 1/3 of my yard go wild, seeing as how it is an
easement and I don't even own it. But like most subdivided areas, code
says if it is over 6" and the neighbors bitch, the PTB will mow it for
me, and bill me at an exorbitant rate. Even in non-subdivided areas,
code usually requires the part up by the road be kept mowed, AIUI. I
also suffer from allergies, so I really can't live anywhere the grasses
and other noxious weeds spend most of the summer in seed-throwing condition.

My lot is roughly 100x300, the back 100 feet being an easement into the
graveyard that the previous owner and several neighbors negotiated.
About 2/3 of an acre, including the house and shed footprints. If it was
flat and bare, I could mow it in an hour. But it is so chopped up, and
the front yard so sloped, it takes 2 or 3 hours most of the time. If I
do it all in one shot (21" mulching push mower), my ass is very tired,
so I usually split it over 2 nights. And I have to take the allergy meds
and jump right into the shower afterward. I've considered a riding
mower, but I would still have to do a lot of it with the push mower, and
man a decent rider is expensive. Not to mention my shed would be awful
crowded...

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

-snip-
I've considered a riding
mower, but I would still have to do a lot of it with the push mower, and
man a decent rider is expensive. Not to mention my shed would be awful
crowded...

Now I use a push mower because I need the exercise. . .but a few years
back I couldn't, so I got a $50 rider & planned my landscape so I
never had to trim. Bushes, mulched areas & flower beds rounded all
the corners to a point where the rider could do them. [and believe
me, this was no zero-radius riderg]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 07:00:12 GMT, against all advice, something
compelled aemeijers , to say:

If I
do it all in one shot (21" mulching push mower), my ass is very tired,
so I usually split it over 2 nights. And I have to take the allergy meds
and jump right into the shower afterward. I've considered a riding
mower, but I would still have to do a lot of it with the push mower, and
man a decent rider is expensive. Not to mention my shed would be awful
crowded...

You need an Ambitious Teenager.
--

Real men don't text.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Daniels wrote:
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 07:00:12 GMT, against all advice, something
compelled aemeijers , to say:

If I
do it all in one shot (21" mulching push mower), my ass is very tired,
so I usually split it over 2 nights. And I have to take the allergy meds
and jump right into the shower afterward. I've considered a riding
mower, but I would still have to do a lot of it with the push mower, and
man a decent rider is expensive. Not to mention my shed would be awful
crowded...

You need an Ambitious Teenager.

Missed my shot at having any of those of my own, and they just grow up
and move away anyway. Doesn't appear to be any freelance ones around
here- everyone either does their own, or pays a lawn service.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 10:52*am, (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:
In article , Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Of course, it's a detached garage about 30 feet away from the house.

Seems reasonable to me.

Built of concrete block, with a flimsy wooden roof (the original
owner/builder of my spread was a stonemason, but not much of a
carpenter).

Well, if she blows, with a little luck, it will blow the
roof clean off leaving the walls intact ;-)

Just like a fireworks factory. Of course, if the cars are
inside, I'll be peeved.

Still, the whole thing is so leaky, I doubt it could get to the
correct propane concentration for combustion.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Malcolm Hoar wrote:

Of course, you're welcome to toss your wet, mud-covered,
fully-fueled mower in the garage. I doubt it will explode.
But the chances are it won't start (easily) next spring
either!

I'm curious, what are you doing that is causing your lawn mower to
become wet and covered with mud? When I mow the lawn, the grass is dry
and there is no mud.

I put the lawn mower in the shed from November until April, just
cleaning off whatever old grass is stuck to the deck and the blade. In
April I check the oil, top off the fuel tank, and it starts just fine.
You wouldn't want to leave gasoline in the tank for a year without
adding some STA-BIL, but six months is just fine.