Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default OT Warning -- How many have propane tanks in the garage?

benick wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

"h" wrote in message

You must have a postage stamp sized property if you can mow the lawn
in less than two hours. Those of us with sizable yards can go through
50 hours pretty fast.

If I had to spend more than two hours, I'd let it go to hay or
whatever comes up naturally. Some people get their jollies cutting
the lawn, but there is more to life than a big green pasture.

I mow about an acre or so of about 2 1/2 acres that we own with 2 push
mowers...Good exercise for us...Takes us about 2 hours or so including
trimming.....Helps to keep the bugs down...Here in Maine we have bumper
crops of Blackflies and Mosquitos....

I'd love to let the back 1/3 of my yard go wild, seeing as how it is an
easement and I don't even own it. But like most subdivided areas, code
says if it is over 6" and the neighbors bitch, the PTB will mow it for
me, and bill me at an exorbitant rate. Even in non-subdivided areas,
code usually requires the part up by the road be kept mowed, AIUI. I
also suffer from allergies, so I really can't live anywhere the grasses
and other noxious weeds spend most of the summer in seed-throwing condition.

My lot is roughly 100x300, the back 100 feet being an easement into the
graveyard that the previous owner and several neighbors negotiated.
About 2/3 of an acre, including the house and shed footprints. If it was
flat and bare, I could mow it in an hour. But it is so chopped up, and
the front yard so sloped, it takes 2 or 3 hours most of the time. If I
do it all in one shot (21" mulching push mower), my ass is very tired,
so I usually split it over 2 nights. And I have to take the allergy meds
and jump right into the shower afterward. I've considered a riding
mower, but I would still have to do a lot of it with the push mower, and
man a decent rider is expensive. Not to mention my shed would be awful
crowded...

--
aem sends...