Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawn furniture clear coat problem

Hello All,

Last summer purchased outdoor table from Home Depot. I sprayed it
with a clear coat hoping it would extend the painted finish. The
clear coat has milky splotchy patches. I suspect the surface was not
total clean. What is the best way to fix this?

Strip the spray painted clear coat?. Sand down to the painted surface
and just re-spray with paint?

Input would be appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 8:15*am, Brent Bolin wrote:
Hello All,

Last summer purchased outdoor table from Home Depot. *I sprayed it
with a clear coat hoping it would extend the painted finish. *The
clear coat has milky splotchy patches. I suspect the surface was not
total clean. *What is the best way to fix this?

Strip the spray painted clear coat?. *Sand down to the painted surface
and just re-spray with paint?

Input would be appreciated.

Did the white occur just after spraying, if so it was maybe damp or to
cold for that product or . Did it take time then probably it wasnt
made for water sitting on it. Was spray a marine rated and has UV
protection. You should have talked to a pro at a real paint store
then. Most cheap clear coats dont handle sun well. If you didnt sand
the paint and clean well the new product may not have bonded well,
even so it may fail since its likely a cheap clearcoat.Im not sure but
mabe id repaint and not with a spray can of paint unless, maybe, it
was Rustoleum brand. The reason the spray versions are often weaker
from Epa regulations for sprays to be less toxic. Go to a real paint
store, one that sells Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams with the old
spray and do what they say. Pro stores are best for all advise and
products.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brent Bolin" wrote in message

Last summer purchased outdoor table from Home Depot. I sprayed it
with a clear coat hoping it would extend the painted finish. The
clear coat has milky splotchy patches. I suspect the surface was not
total clean. What is the best way to fix this?

Other possibilities are rain damage and chemical
interaction between what you sprayed and the
factory finish of the table. Whether metal or wood
there were probably coats of at least three different
materials (primer, colour coat, and clear finish.)
You added a fourth and ordinary rain makes a fifth
material. In summer sunshine there may be all
sorts of chemical interactions not foreseen at the
factory.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 6:15*am, Brent Bolin wrote:
Hello All,

Last summer purchased outdoor table from Home Depot. *I sprayed it
with a clear coat hoping it would extend the painted finish. *The
clear coat has milky splotchy patches. I suspect the surface was not
total clean. *What is the best way to fix this?

Strip the spray painted clear coat?. *Sand down to the painted surface
and just re-spray with paint?

Input would be appreciated.

The clear coat was probably not UV rated. Now you know what not to
do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 06:15:10 -0700 (PDT), Brent Bolin
wrote:

Hello All,

Last summer purchased outdoor table from Home Depot. I sprayed it
with a clear coat hoping it would extend the painted finish. The
clear coat has milky splotchy patches. I suspect the surface was not
total clean. What is the best way to fix this?

Strip the spray painted clear coat?. Sand down to the painted surface
and just re-spray with paint?

Input would be appreciated.

What is a "clear coat?" You get milky patches when water seeps under
the finish. Try rubbing the milky areas with mayonaise and a rag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hello All,

Last summer purchased outdoor table from Home Depot. *I sprayed it
with a clear coat hoping it would extend the painted finish. *The
clear coat has milky splotchy patches. I suspect the surface was not
total clean. *What is the best way to fix this?

Strip the spray painted clear coat?. *Sand down to the painted surface
and just re-spray with paint?

Input would be appreciated.

What is a "clear coat?" * You get milky patches when water seeps under
the finish. *Try rubbing the milky areas with mayonaise and a rag.

What is the table top made of???
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hello All,

Last summer purchased outdoor table from Home Depot. *I sprayed it
with a clear coat hoping it would extend the painted finish. *The
clear coat has milky splotchy patches. I suspect the surface was not
total clean. *What is the best way to fix this?

Strip the spray painted clear coat?. *Sand down to the painted surface
and just re-spray with paint?

Input would be appreciated.

What is a "clear coat?" * You get milky patches when water seeps under
the finish. *Try rubbing the milky areas with mayonaise and a rag.

What is the table top made of???

Believe it is aluminum. It's one of the tables that Home Depot sells
that has the 12x12 ceramic tiles in it. It lasted all summer. The
blemishes didn't show up till the very end of the summer. The clear
coat that I sprayed on was rated for out door use. Not sure about the
UV rating, but would suspect it had it. I think I used Rustoleum
brand, but not absolutely sure. It wasn't the cheap stuff.