Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Lawn furniture clear coat problem

On Apr 17, 8:15*am, Brent Bolin wrote:
Hello All,

Last summer purchased outdoor table from Home Depot. *I sprayed it
with a clear coat hoping it would extend the painted finish. *The
clear coat has milky splotchy patches. I suspect the surface was not
total clean. *What is the best way to fix this?

Strip the spray painted clear coat?. *Sand down to the painted surface
and just re-spray with paint?

Input would be appreciated.

Did the white occur just after spraying, if so it was maybe damp or to
cold for that product or . Did it take time then probably it wasnt
made for water sitting on it. Was spray a marine rated and has UV
protection. You should have talked to a pro at a real paint store
then. Most cheap clear coats dont handle sun well. If you didnt sand
the paint and clean well the new product may not have bonded well,
even so it may fail since its likely a cheap clearcoat.Im not sure but
mabe id repaint and not with a spray can of paint unless, maybe, it
was Rustoleum brand. The reason the spray versions are often weaker
from Epa regulations for sprays to be less toxic. Go to a real paint
store, one that sells Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams with the old
spray and do what they say. Pro stores are best for all advise and
products.