Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Neutralizing dog pee on lawn?

All winter we just let our dog out in the back to pee/poop (neutered
bitch Shelty Sheepdog). Well every spring we see that she created
several dead brown spots in the lawn by repeatedly picking the same
areas to pee.

Is there anything that can be used to neutralize pee in soil so that
the grass can come back faster? I assume dog pee is acidic and might
need an alkaline product to get the pH corrected again?

What to use? It's pretty bad this year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:
All winter we just let our dog out in the back to pee/poop (neutered
bitch Shelty Sheepdog). Well every spring we see that she created
several dead brown spots in the lawn by repeatedly picking the same
areas to pee.

Is there anything that can be used to neutralize pee in soil so that
the grass can come back faster? I assume dog pee is acidic and might
need an alkaline product to get the pH corrected again?

What to use? It's pretty bad this year.

Water?

BTW Those are smart dogs so try training her to a small area (with gravel)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 11:02*am, LouB wrote:
RickH wrote:
All winter we just let our dog out in the back to pee/poop (neutered
bitch Shelty Sheepdog). *Well every spring we see that she created
several dead brown spots in the lawn by repeatedly picking the same
areas to pee.

Is there anything that can be used to neutralize pee in soil so that
the grass can come back faster? *I assume dog pee is acidic and might
need an alkaline product to get the pH corrected again?

What to use? *It's pretty bad this year.

Water?

BTW Those are smart dogs so try training her to a small area (with gravel)

Unfortunately water (and lots of it) still does not work by the
beginning of June or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:07:01 -0700 (PDT), RickH
wrote:

On Apr 16, 11:02*am, LouB wrote:
RickH wrote:
All winter we just let our dog out in the back to pee/poop (neutered
bitch Shelty Sheepdog). *Well every spring we see that she created
several dead brown spots in the lawn by repeatedly picking the same
areas to pee.

Is there anything that can be used to neutralize pee in soil so that
the grass can come back faster? *I assume dog pee is acidic and might
need an alkaline product to get the pH corrected again?

What to use? *It's pretty bad this year.

Water?

BTW Those are smart dogs so try training her to a small area (with gravel)

Unfortunately water (and lots of it) still does not work by the
beginning of June or so.

I have the same problem. My daughter suggested lime. I am going to
try it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 10:33*am, RickH wrote:
All winter we just let our dog out in the back to pee/poop (neutered
bitch Shelty Sheepdog). *Well every spring we see that she created
several dead brown spots in the lawn by repeatedly picking the same
areas to pee.

Is there anything that can be used to neutralize pee in soil so that
the grass can come back faster? *I assume dog pee is acidic and might
need an alkaline product to get the pH corrected again?

What to use? *It's pretty bad this year.

Every year I have the same, I just throw down seed and by the time the
ground is warm enough to germinate 55f it grows. To realy know get a
soil test kit and check ph. Lime is not fast acting in changing ph
level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:
All winter we just let our dog out in the back to pee/poop (neutered
bitch Shelty Sheepdog). Well every spring we see that she created
several dead brown spots in the lawn by repeatedly picking the same
areas to pee.

Is there anything that can be used to neutralize pee in soil so that
the grass can come back faster? I assume dog pee is acidic and might
need an alkaline product to get the pH corrected again?

What to use? It's pretty bad this year.

Water. Urine is too much nitrogen, same as burning lawn with too much
fertilizer and/or insufficient water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:

All winter we just let our dog out in the back to pee/poop (neutered
bitch Shelty Sheepdog). Well every spring we see that she created
several dead brown spots in the lawn by repeatedly picking the same
areas to pee.

Is there anything that can be used to neutralize pee in soil so that
the grass can come back faster? I assume dog pee is acidic and might
need an alkaline product to get the pH corrected again?

What to use? It's pretty bad this year.

It's not pH levels that's killing the grass. Urine won't significantly
change the pH and grass is actually tolerant of a pretty wide range of
pH anyway. It's the ammoniacal and urea nitrogen in the urine that is
burning the grass. Just like if you dumped a pile of fertilizer on the
grass. Flushing the area with water after the dog eliminates will help
reduce the nitrogen levels, but you have to get out there soon after
the dog has done its business.

Best solution: build a 4 x 4 dog potty station somewhere on your
property. Edge it with pavers or timbers, fill it with pea gravel. If
you have a male dog, drive a post in the center for it to lift its leg
against. Train your dog to eliminate only in its potty spot. It'll
make cleaning up after the dog easier for you, and keep the lawn free
of brown spots and unpleasant surprises while mowing.

HellT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 18:05:19 -0500, Hell Toupee
wrote:

RickH wrote:

[...]

Not sure when and where I read it, but adding something (??) into the
water bowl / diet would reduce urine burned grass.

A Vet may be able to answer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RickH" wrote in message
All winter we just let our dog out in the back to pee/poop (neutered
bitch Shelty Sheepdog). Well every spring we see that she created
several dead brown spots in the lawn by repeatedly picking the same
areas to pee.

Is there anything that can be used to neutralize pee in soil so that
the grass can come back faster? I assume dog pee is acidic and might
need an alkaline product to get the pH corrected again?

What to use? It's pretty bad this year.

Let your dog roam the neighbors yard. It will be their problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 7:45*pm, "Culver" wrote:
"RickH" wrote in message

All winter we just let our dog out in the back to pee/poop (neutered
bitch Shelty Sheepdog). *Well every spring we see that she created
several dead brown spots in the lawn by repeatedly picking the same
areas to pee.

Is there anything that can be used to neutralize pee in soil so that
the grass can come back faster? *I assume dog pee is acidic and might
need an alkaline product to get the pH corrected again?

What to use? *It's pretty bad this year.

Let your dog roam the neighbors yard. It will be their problem.

Keep the dog in the house, the lawn will be fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is there anything that can be used to neutralize pee in soil so that
the grass can come back faster? *

Gypsum naturally neutralizes dog urine and retains moisture to help
grow grass seed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 08:33:56 -0700 (PDT), RickH
wrote:

All winter we just let our dog out in the back to pee/poop (neutered
bitch Shelty Sheepdog). Well every spring we see that she created
several dead brown spots in the lawn by repeatedly picking the same
areas to pee.

Is there anything that can be used to neutralize pee in soil so that
the grass can come back faster? I assume dog pee is acidic and might
need an alkaline product to get the pH corrected again?

What to use? It's pretty bad this year.

Flush the area with water immediately after the dog urinates. Nice
lawns don't have dogs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:
All winter we just let our dog out in the back to pee/poop (neutered
bitch Shelty Sheepdog). Well every spring we see that she created
several dead brown spots in the lawn by repeatedly picking the same
areas to pee.

Is there anything that can be used to neutralize pee in soil so that
the grass can come back faster? I assume dog pee is acidic and might
need an alkaline product to get the pH corrected again?

What to use? It's pretty bad this year.

With or without dog pee, the dead spots might occur if they are too wet
for too long. Dead leaves help smother the grass.
Posted to alt.home.repair
JP JP is offline

On Apr 16, 8:33*am, RickH wrote:
All winter we just let our dog out in the back to pee/poop (neutered
bitch Shelty Sheepdog). *Well every spring we see that she created
several dead brown spots in the lawn by repeatedly picking the same
areas to pee.

Is there anything that can be used to neutralize pee in soil so that
the grass can come back faster? *I assume dog pee is acidic and might
need an alkaline product to get the pH corrected again?

What to use? *It's pretty bad this year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I put tomato juice in there food,just add a little to there dry food
when you feed.The amount depends on size of dog, but it don't take a
lot.
my dog is about a 100#'s I use a can about ever 7-10 days.
I get mine at the $ store,
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

All winter we just let our dog out in the back to pee/poop (neutered
bitch Shelty Sheepdog). Well every spring we see that she created
several dead brown spots in the lawn by repeatedly picking the same
areas to pee.

Is there anything that can be used to neutralize pee in soil so that
the grass can come back faster? I assume dog pee is acidic and might
need an alkaline product to get the pH corrected again?

What to use? It's pretty bad this year.

Flush the area with water immediately after the dog urinates. Nice
lawns don't have dogs.

We used to have a dog. No longer. But we had the opposite problem with
Ginger. Wherever she would pee, the grass would grow longer and
thicker. We tried to get her to go onto the barren spots and get things
growing there. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. We miss that
girl.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JP wrote in news:6a69b745-dd3d-491d-a9bd-
:

Adding a little washing up liquid to a weatering can of water will improve
its ability to soak in and dilute the dog pee