Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

Default Surround receptical box with foam board

I have one particular corner that I intend to use a lot of 'Owens
Corning' foam board. Can anyone tell me of any know issues with
surrounding the receptacle w/ pink foam board ?
I have seen several discussions in this list talking about how the
stuff is not flammable, but can I safely butt it right up to
receptacle boxes ?

Thanks

Sid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 9:50*am, sid wrote:
I have one particular corner that I intend to use a lot of 'Owens
Corning' foam board. *Can anyone tell me of any know issues with
surrounding the receptacle w/ pink foam board ?
I have seen several discussions in this list talking about how the
stuff is not flammable, but can I safely butt it right up to
receptacle boxes ?

Thanks

Sid.

Sure. Junction boxes are also screwed to studs and those are
certainly not fireproof. (the outlet is in a box isn't it?).
Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On Apr 15, 9:58*am, RickH wrote:
On Apr 15, 9:50*am, sid wrote:

I have one particular corner that I intend to use a lot of 'Owens
Corning' foam board. *Can anyone tell me of any know issues with
surrounding the receptacle w/ pink foam board ?
I have seen several discussions in this list talking about how the
stuff is not flammable, but can I safely butt it right up to
receptacle boxes ?

Thanks

Sid.

Sure. *Junction boxes are also screwed to studs and those are
certainly not fireproof. *(the outlet is in a box isn't it?).

Yes, its in a 4" box. but they are usually not surrounded by foam that
close.
Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On Apr 15, 12:53*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 07:50:53 -0700 (PDT), sid
wrote:

I have one particular corner that I intend to use a lot of 'Owens
Corning' foam board. *Can anyone tell me of any know issues with
surrounding the receptacle w/ pink foam board ?
I have seen several discussions in this list talking about how the
stuff is not flammable, but can I safely butt it right up to
receptacle boxes ?

Thanks

Sid.

Just be sure there is no gap between the box and cover that exposes
the foam.

But all boxes have 1/4" - 1/8" holes for mounting or what ever .
Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

wrote:

I have one particular corner that I intend to use a lot of 'Owens
Corning' foam board. *Can anyone tell me of any know issues with
surrounding the receptacle w/ pink foam board ?
I have seen several discussions in this list talking about how the
stuff is not flammable, but can I safely butt it right up to
receptacle boxes ?

Thanks

Sid.

Just be sure there is no gap between the box and cover that exposes
the foam.

Unless he his bringing the box out to the new surface level, he needs an
extension ring to meet code. *They're cheap and easy to install. Unless
box is crowded, you don't even need to disconnect the outlet or switch,
just undo the mount screws and slide the ring (more like a sleeve) over
it. *I installed 4 or 5 around here where idiot previous owner added T&G
paneling, or 5/8 rock, without bothering to move the boxes out. * Yes,
the inspector will not regard the foam as something sparks from a failed
device should land on.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

I am just trying to insulate a wall that was previously not
insulated. I did not want to create a hazard by getting the styrene
(Owens FOAMULAR) to close to the box in the event something failed
hard and threw sparks.
From everyone’s input, I will not consider it a hazard and cut the
styrene so that it fits adjacent to the box.

I did not think it did, but I wanted the groups’ opinion.

Thanks