Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washers to hold Foam Board

Hi..finishing off my basement and am using sheets of foamboard to
cover the concrete. I have used the proper adhesive but in some
places where the concrete is not smooth the foam has some loose ares/
bulges. I want to use some tapcon screws to hold the foam in place.
The thing is I cannot find any washers to use with the tapcon screws.
Yes I can use two washers per screw but I am looking for plastic or
metal washers that are about 1" - 1.5" in diameter and have a hole of
about 3/16". Not to be found in Newfoundland. They do not even sell
felt tins here anymore (HomeDepot, Kent, Rona etc).

Can anyone recommend something I can use? I was looking for a plastic
tube that meets the measurements that i could make washers out of -
but can't think of what exactly.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 6, 12:35*pm, wrote:
Hi..finishing off my basement and am using sheets of foamboard to
cover the concrete. *I have used the proper adhesive but in some
places where the concrete is not smooth the foam has some loose ares/
bulges. I want to use some tapcon screws to hold the foam in place.
The thing is I cannot find any washers to use with the tapcon screws.
Yes I can use two washers per screw but I am looking for plastic or
metal washers that are about 1" - 1.5" in diameter and have a hole of
about 3/16". *Not to be found in Newfoundland. *They do not even sell
felt tins here anymore (HomeDepot, Kent, Rona etc).

Can anyone recommend something I can use? *I was looking for a plastic
tube that meets the measurements that i could make washers out of -
but can't think of what exactly.

See if the roofing department has some of those nails with big plastic
washers used to hold down roofing felt. Toss the nails and insert
Tapcon. Ought to work ok IMO.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hi..finishing off my basement and am using sheets of foamboard to
cover the concrete. I have used the proper adhesive but in some
places where the concrete is not smooth the foam has some loose ares/
bulges. I want to use some tapcon screws to hold the foam in place.
The thing is I cannot find any washers to use with the tapcon screws.
Yes I can use two washers per screw but I am looking for plastic or
metal washers that are about 1" - 1.5" in diameter and have a hole of
about 3/16". Not to be found in Newfoundland. They do not even sell
felt tins here anymore (HomeDepot, Kent, Rona etc).

Can anyone recommend something I can use? I was looking for a plastic
tube that meets the measurements that i could make washers out of -
but can't think of what exactly.

*Plaster washers might work. They are thin, wide and take a drywall screw.
Something else are those pins that are used to hold duct liner onto ducts.
I don't know the name of them, but you can try a place that sells duct. The
pins get glued onto the wall and then the insulation goes against them.
Then a large washer is slid over the pin and is held in place by friction.
The pins can be trimmed back.

Also check mcmaster.com. They have quite an assortment of hardware.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 1:35*pm, wrote:
Hi..finishing off my basement and am using sheets of foamboard to
cover the concrete. *I have used the proper adhesive but in some
places where the concrete is not smooth the foam has some loose ares/
bulges. I want to use some tapcon screws to hold the foam in place.
The thing is I cannot find any washers to use with the tapcon screws.
Yes I can use two washers per screw but I am looking for plastic or
metal washers that are about 1" - 1.5" in diameter and have a hole of
about 3/16". *Not to be found in Newfoundland. *They do not even sell
felt tins here anymore (HomeDepot, Kent, Rona etc).

Can anyone recommend something I can use? *I was looking for a plastic
tube that meets the measurements that i could make washers out of -
but can't think of what exactly.

Unless you care greatly about the esthetics, use the tops of pet food
cans or anything similar. It really doesn't matter.

BTW, Most codes don't allow exposed foam insulation. Something about
fire, dioxins and death. You might want to look into it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

why not use adhesive? A lot less drilling
Posted to alt.home.repair

why not use adhesive? A lot less drilling

It constantly amazes me when people do not
read and "comprehend" the message before
reposting...........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 12:35*pm, wrote:
Hi..finishing off my basement and am using sheets of foamboard to
cover the concrete. *I have used the proper adhesive but in some
places where the concrete is not smooth the foam has some loose ares/
bulges. I want to use some tapcon screws to hold the foam in place.
The thing is I cannot find any washers to use with the tapcon screws.
Yes I can use two washers per screw but I am looking for plastic or
metal washers that are about 1" - 1.5" in diameter and have a hole of
about 3/16". *Not to be found in Newfoundland. *They do not even sell
felt tins here anymore (HomeDepot, Kent, Rona etc).

Can anyone recommend something I can use? *I was looking for a plastic
tube that meets the measurements that i could make washers out of -
but can't think of what exactly.

Newfoundland, where is that, I did the same with foam board but no
glue, washers of that size are at any hardware store here. If basement
leaks at all or you get damp walls you should only screw and not glue
it. So when it molds behind you can remove and waterproof and clean
off the mold.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 1:35*pm, wrote:
Hi..finishing off my basement and am using sheets of foamboard to
cover the concrete. *I have used the proper adhesive but in some
places where the concrete is not smooth the foam has some loose ares/
bulges. I want to use some tapcon screws to hold the foam in place.
The thing is I cannot find any washers to use with the tapcon screws.
Yes I can use two washers per screw but I am looking for plastic or
metal washers that are about 1" - 1.5" in diameter and have a hole of
about 3/16". *Not to be found in Newfoundland. *They do not even sell
felt tins here anymore (HomeDepot, Kent, Rona etc).

Can anyone recommend something I can use? *I was looking for a plastic
tube that meets the measurements that i could make washers out of -
but can't think of what exactly.

These are primarily used by EIFS installations.
http://www.itwbuildex.com/gridmate.htm
http://www.demandproducts.com/dp400.php
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike60510" wrote in message
why not use adhesive? A lot less drilling

Your gonna have to shoot some strapping or 2X4's on for drywall to cover it
up so that will hold it on....You CAN NOT leave it exposed....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike60510" wrote in message
why not use adhesive? A lot less drilling

Did you read what he wrote? No, you didn't

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote in
:

On Feb 6, 12:35 pm, wrote:
[...]

That was my first thought. These guys:

http://www.simplexnails.com/PlexCapDataSheet.html
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...03+9 0282+871

Or fender washers. Small hole with large washer.

Or tin Cap Discs. Just a flat round piece of sheet metal Comes in a box
like screws/nails. No hole. This one shows 1-5/8" but I've seen a few
sizes. Got thaem at HD once where all the nails and screws are.

http://fasteners.hardwarestore.com/1...ign=googlebase

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 7:49*pm, Bubba wrote:
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 14:52:52 -0800 (PST), ransley

wrote:
On Feb 6, 12:35*pm, wrote:
[...]

Don't get out much, do you ransley? Were you ever taught geography in
school? Ever looked at one of those silly round spinning things on any
teachers desk in school? They call it a globe. Judging from your
typical spelling, I guess I'm forgetting that you most likely didn't
make it past 5th grade.
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

Whats your point, wife and kids leave you nobody to kick, no more
customers to rip off, so you are here for exactly what Bubba Gump.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote:

Don't get out much, do you ransley? Were you ever taught geography in
school? Ever looked at one of those silly round spinning things on any
teachers desk in school? They call it a globe. Judging from your
typical spelling, I guess I'm forgetting that you most likely didn't
make it past 5th grade.
Bubba

Don't worry about the missing the apostrophe in "teacher's."

One of the rules of the planet (similar to the globe to which you refer -
only bigger) is that every missing apostrophe is really being used
improperly somewhere else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/2009 5:55 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Bubba wrote:

Don't get out much, do you ransley? Were you ever taught geography in
school? Ever looked at one of those silly round spinning things on any
teachers desk in school? They call it a globe. Judging from your
typical spelling, I guess I'm forgetting that you most likely didn't
make it past 5th grade.

Don't worry about the missing the apostrophe in "teacher's."

One of the rules of the planet (similar to the globe to which you refer -
only bigger) is that every missing apostrophe is really being used
improperly somewhere else.

Ah, yes, the Law of Conservation of Apostrophes. (Or "Apostrophe's" if
one follows the AOL rules of spelling and punctuation.)

Kinda like how "r"s are conserved: the missing one from "Joisey" turns
up in "terlet".

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/2009 7:30 AM Bubba spake thus:

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 07:55:01 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Bubba wrote:

Don't get out much, do you ransley? Were you ever taught geography in
school? Ever looked at one of those silly round spinning things on any
teachers desk in school? They call it a globe. Judging from your
typical spelling, I guess I'm forgetting that you most likely didn't
make it past 5th grade.

Don't worry about the missing the apostrophe in "teacher's."

also, if you are going to quote punctuation, you might want to
understand it all as teachers' is also accepted. I'll leave the
English lesson for another day though.

Since you're trying to pick nits here, I'm gonna pick yours: "teachers'"
is plural. We're obviously dealing with a singular object here, so the
man was right; it's "teacher's". So you're right; "teachers'" is also
accepted--but only by the illiterate.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that
doesn't work, I stay in business. Incidentally, my company motto is
"If this stuff worked, you wouldn't need me".

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Don't worry about the missing the apostrophe in "teacher's."

One of the rules of the planet (similar to the globe to which you refer -
only bigger) is that every missing apostrophe is really being used
improperly somewhere else.

It is not missing, ransley stole it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Bubba wrote:

Don't get out much, do you ransley? Were you ever taught geography
in school? Ever looked at one of those silly round spinning things
on any teachers desk in school? They call it a globe. Judging from
your typical spelling, I guess I'm forgetting that you most likely
didn't make it past 5th grade.
Bubba

Don't worry about the missing the apostrophe in "teacher's."

One of the rules of the planet (similar to the globe to which you
refer - only bigger) is that every missing apostrophe is really
being used improperly somewhere else.

and I won't worry about why you used the word "the" twice in your
sentence improperly.

My newsreader occasionally adds things. I apologize.

also, if you are going to quote punctuation, you might want to
understand it all as teachers' is also accepted. I'll leave the
English lesson for another day though.
Bubba

We have a teaching moment here.

You are correct in noting that "teachers' " is a permitted form, but only
when referring to the possessive plural, as in "The teachers' lounge is a
crack-house." I'm fairly sure (but cannot be certain) that the singular
possessive is what you intended to convey in your post. Contrast this with
"The crack-pipe was found in the teacher's pants - the teacher's a
crack-head!" The first is a singular possessive, the second is a
contraction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Contrast this with
"The crack-pipe was found in the teacher's pants - the teacher's a
crack-head!" The first is a singular possessive, the second is a
contraction.

And speaking of contractions, the one that's annoying the crap out of me
lately is "would have" shortened to "would of."

Stupid people should be beaten to death with blunt objects.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Contrast this with
"The crack-pipe was found in the teacher's pants - the teacher's a
crack-head!" The first is a singular possessive, the second is a
contraction.

And speaking of contractions, the one that's annoying the crap out of
me lately is "would have" shortened to "would of."

Stupid people should be beaten to death with blunt objects.

They would of been if I could find one! Sorry. I'm off,

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to usenetr2000, homedepot_customer wrote:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-G...FRdCDAodieEESw

https://www.homeownershub.com/img/f6