Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slow Drain in Bathroom Sink?

I have always been able to figure this one out but this time it's beyond my
ken.

I've already torn the undersink u-bend apart thinking hair (and assorted
goop) would have gathered in such mass as to prevent the water from passing.
There was some but nowhere near the amount that would be needed for the
water to completely slow.

While I had the pipes open I ran my 3/8" snake down. It encountered nothing
substantial along the 30 feet. I then poured Drain-O into the pipe hoping
that would connect with the problem area and flush it through.

Nope; the sink still isn't draining at optimal speed.

Ideas or suggestions?

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Ranger wrote:
I have always been able to figure this one out but this time it's beyond my
ken.

I've already torn the undersink u-bend apart thinking hair (and assorted
goop) would have gathered in such mass as to prevent the water from passing.
There was some but nowhere near the amount that would be needed for the
water to completely slow.

While I had the pipes open I ran my 3/8" snake down. It encountered nothing
substantial along the 30 feet. I then poured Drain-O into the pipe hoping
that would connect with the problem area and flush it through.

Nope; the sink still isn't draining at optimal speed.

Ideas or suggestions?

The Ranger

Hi,
Vent stack has obstruction?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in message
[slow sink elided]
Ideas or suggestions?

Vent stack has obstruction?

Okay; how do I clean a vent stack? It's on the second story of my home and
there's really no easy way for _me_ to climb up on a ladder and gain access
to that portion of my house.

[I won't admit to having "issues" when getting near the top of my aluminum
extention ladder but climbing up-and-over the last wrung won't happen. I'm
too familiar with my own mortality and physical limitations. ]

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 11:33�am, "The Ranger" wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote in message

[slow sink elided]

Ideas or suggestions?

Vent stack has obstruction?

Okay; how do I clean a vent stack? It's on the second story of my home and
there's really no easy way for _me_ to climb up on a ladder and gain access
to that portion of my house.

[I won't admit to having "issues" when getting near the top of my aluminum
extention ladder but climbing up-and-over the last wrung won't happen. I'm
too familiar with my own mortality and physical limitations. ]

The Ranger

your main sewer might be clogged.

if youy can reak into the line from sink to basement you can run your
snake up.

have someone watch the roof so it doesnt tangle.

i think you have a main drain issue.

if its tree roots rocksalt works great
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote in message
On Apr 13, 11:33?am, "The Ranger" wrote:
[slow sink elided]
Ideas or suggestions?

[snip]
your main sewer might be clogged.

Wouldn't that affect all the sinks, though, with eventual back-up to the
lowest drainage point (a first floor shower basin in my case)? None of the
other sinks or basins have experienced similar slowness in draining -- or at
least none that I've observed.

It couldn't hurt to run my neighbor's power snake down the main.

if its tree roots rocksalt works great

Unfortunately liquid amber seems to really thrive on abuse. I've given up
trying to kill that damned tree and simply chop it to pieces every fall and
spring.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 3:14*pm, "The Ranger" wrote:
bob haller wrote in message

On Apr 13, 11:33?am, "The Ranger" wrote:
[slow sink elided]

Ideas or suggestions?

[snip]
your main sewer might be clogged.

Wouldn't that affect all the sinks, though, with eventual back-up to the
lowest drainage point (a first floor shower basin in my case)? None of the
other sinks or basins have experienced similar slowness in draining -- or at
least none that I've observed.

It couldn't hurt to run my neighbor's power snake down the main.

if its tree roots rocksalt works great

Unfortunately liquid amber seems to really thrive on abuse. I've given up
trying to kill that damned tree and simply chop it to pieces every fall and
spring.

The Ranger

IF you don't run any water for several minutes, how much water will
flow down rapidly before it slows dowon. That should tell you where
the blockage exists, as the water will force air out ahead of it much
faster than the water can go thru the blockage.. If it flows slowly
right from the start, then the blockage is right at the sink itself.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 13, 10:33*am, "The Ranger" wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote in message

[slow sink elided]

Ideas or suggestions?

Vent stack has obstruction?

Okay; how do I clean a vent stack? It's on the second story of my home and
there's really no easy way for _me_ to climb up on a ladder and gain access
to that portion of my house.

[I won't admit to having "issues" when getting near the top of my aluminum
extention ladder but climbing up-and-over the last wrung won't happen. I'm
too familiar with my own mortality and physical limitations. ]

Hire a plumbing guy (apprentice works cheaper) to check out the vent.
IIRC, some success stories from such activities have been noted here.
Concerning ladders, use them like the roofers do. Extend the ladder
well above the roof level so that the top rung is a hand hold and
simply step out on the roof. If vertigo bothers you, many rental
places can supply safety harnesses to bolster your confidence. A rope
from the harness over the house top and tied to a stout tree will make
it far less scary. DO NOT (as one sad soul did) tie off to your pickup
truck just before Her Highness decides to take off in the truck for
grocery shopping.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in message

[slow sink elided]

Ideas or suggestions?

Vent stack has obstruction?

Okay; how do I clean a vent stack? It's on the second story of my home and
there's really no easy way for _me_ to climb up on a ladder and gain access
to that portion of my house.

[I won't admit to having "issues" when getting near the top of my aluminum
extention ladder but climbing up-and-over the last wrung won't happen. I'm
too familiar with my own mortality and physical limitations. ]

The Ranger

your main sewer might be clogged.

if youy can reak into the line from sink to basement you can run your
snake up.

have someone watch the roof so it doesnt tangle.

i think you have a main drain issue.

if its tree roots rocksalt works great

If it's like mine, it is a "wet vent" (drain acts as vent to main
stack/drain about 6 feet away) and if the line gets half plugged the
sink gets real slow. One of those "super plungers" that looks like a
fat bicycle pump blows it clear in 3 or 4 strokes. Need to do it every
month or so with my long-haired daughter back home.