Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using self leveling compound in bottom of cabinet

I have a rental property that had a plumbing leak (it's fixed). The
base of the cabinet is particle board and has warped so that there's
now about a 2" depression in the middle.

Replacing the cabinet would result in having to replace *all* of the
kitchen cabinets to match, so this isn't going to happen.

I was thinking I'd use a self-leveling compound and then lay vinyl
tiles over it. I could glue a piece of 1/8" plywood over the leveling
compound if there may be a problem with the vinyl tile adhesive
directly on the leveling compound.

Am I on the right track here? Any suggestions for a self-leveling
product (preferably non-cement based) I can get at Home Depot?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 24, 11:04*am, Dave wrote:
I have a rental property that had a plumbing leak (it's fixed). *The
base of the cabinet is particle board and has warped so that there's
now about a 2" depression in the middle.

Replacing the cabinet would result in having to replace *all* of the
kitchen cabinets to match, so this isn't going to happen.

I was thinking I'd use a self-leveling compound and then lay vinyl
tiles over it. *I could glue a piece of 1/8" plywood over the leveling
compound if there may be a problem with the vinyl tile adhesive
directly on the leveling compound.

Am I on the right track here? *Any suggestions for a self-leveling
product (preferably non-cement based) I can get at Home Depot?

Cut out the particle board an inch away from each edge, leaving a nice
ledge for a new piece of plywood, fiberglass sheet or the material of
your choice and drop it in with a bit of water resistant glue. No
mess, no waiting, half hour done and gone.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

Cut out the particle board an inch away from each edge, leaving a nice
ledge for a new piece of plywood, fiberglass sheet or the material of
your choice and drop it in with a bit of water resistant glue. No
mess, no waiting, half hour done and gone.

Joe

If I go this route, why bother with the cutting?

There is a problem with this method. Due to the size of the cabinet
opening, I cannot fit the replacement piece into the cabinet as a solid
piece. I would have to split it across the short dimension. Doing this
leaves no support along the split. I might be able to put a 2x4
underneath along the split, but I won't know until I cut out what's
there and then it will be too late.

I'd rather try to work with what's there first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave wrote:
Joe wrote:

Cut out the particle board an inch away from each edge, leaving a
nice ledge for a new piece of plywood, fiberglass sheet or the
material of your choice and drop it in with a bit of water resistant
glue. No mess, no waiting, half hour done and gone.

Joe

If I go this route, why bother with the cutting?

There is a problem with this method. Due to the size of the cabinet
opening, I cannot fit the replacement piece into the cabinet as a
solid piece. I would have to split it across the short dimension. Doing
this leaves no support along the split. I might be able to put
a 2x4 underneath along the split, but I won't know until I cut out
what's there and then it will be too late.

1. Split the new piece

2. Screw/glue a piece of 1x2 or 1x3 along the split on the bottom side of
one piece so it overhangs the bottom by 3/4" or so.

3. Put in the piece from #3

4. Put in the other split piece. The batten will support it along the
split. Screw to it if you like.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
1. Split the new piece

2. Screw/glue a piece of 1x2 or 1x3 along the split on the bottom side of
one piece so it overhangs the bottom by 3/4" or so.

3. Put in the piece from #3

4. Put in the other split piece. The batten will support it along the
split. Screw to it if you like.

Yeah, I like this idea. I'll just stain the plywood and save myself the
trouble of laying tiles.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Dave wrote:
2. Screw/glue a piece of 1x2 or 1x3 along the split on the bottom side of
one piece so it overhangs the bottom by 3/4" or so.

Yeah, I like this idea.

I agree, very simple.

I'll just stain the plywood and save myself the trouble of laying tiles.

I'm less sure about the stain though. And I see a problem with
the original vinyl tile approach too -- dirt gets trapped in
the joint lines.

I picked up some scrap sheet vinyl flooring for a few bucks
and used that to line a couple of kitchen cupboards -- one
under the sink and the other under the stove (pan storage).
It worked great.

Oh, I also sealed the corners to prevent dirt becomming
trapped there, using clear silicone caulk.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2009 11:08 dadiOH wrote:

1. Split the new piece

2. Screw/glue a piece of 1x2 or 1x3 along the split on the bottom side of
one piece so it overhangs the bottom by 3/4" or so.

3. Put in the piece from #3

4. Put in the other split piece. The batten will support it along the
split. Screw to it if you like.

Ok, so this is the approach I used. Because I wanted to leave as much
of the original material as possible for support, I cut only a ~6" strip
out of the center of the existing wood to accommodate the batten. I
used 1x4 on the batten for the added support

I like the idea of the vinyl flooring, but I didn't have time to search
around for scrap pieces. I just stained the plywood to match the color
of the existing cabinets and called it a day.

I didn't glue the new piece in place. I wanted to be able to easily
remove the platform in case there's another leak or whatever other
reason I might have for needing to remove it. I cut it to pretty tight
tolerances and screwed both pieces to the batten so it's a snug fit and
won't move around.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Self Leveling Compound [email protected] Home Repair 2 July 27th 08 03:11 PM
Self Leveling Compound Samantha Booth UK diy 15 July 20th 08 06:38 PM
Leveling Compound Haystack Home Repair 0 May 30th 06 12:57 AM
Self leveling compound: HELP!!! blackspaven Home Repair 2 June 20th 05 07:32 PM
Any tips on using Self Leveling Compound? Jon Weaver UK diy 2 September 2nd 03 11:30 PM