Jon Weaver

Default Any tips on using Self Leveling Compound?

I have just had my conservatory floor screeded, and to be fair they
did a good job.

But I was always intending on laying Self Leveling Compound before my
floor tiles.

However, I would say that the screed is slightly lower than I hoped
(perhaps 5-10mm below the DPC), so Self Leveler would not only level
the floor, but would give me the extra few mm that I am looking for.

However, having never done anything like this before, I am not sure
what to expect.

My attempts at filling and plastering have been monumentally bad, but
I am hoping that as the compound will 'self level' it won't be too
hard.

Is there anything that I should (or shouldn't) do?

Any hints or tips would be hugely appreciated.. I would hate to do it
wrong and spoil everything which has been done so far!
stuart noble

Jon Weaver wrote in message
. ..
I have just had my conservatory floor screeded, and to be fair they
did a good job.

But I was always intending on laying Self Leveling Compound before my
floor tiles.

However, I would say that the screed is slightly lower than I hoped
(perhaps 5-10mm below the DPC), so Self Leveler would not only level
the floor, but would give me the extra few mm that I am looking for.

However, having never done anything like this before, I am not sure
what to expect.

My attempts at filling and plastering have been monumentally bad, but
I am hoping that as the compound will 'self level' it won't be too
hard.

Is there anything that I should (or shouldn't) do?

Any hints or tips would be hugely appreciated.. I would hate to do it
wrong and spoil everything which has been done so far!

I'd leave it alone if your filling and plastering is as bad as you say. This
stuff does *not* magically self-level, rather it is self smoothing. This
means that although it always sets to a smooth finish, you can get
undulations in the surface if it's laid badly. Also, you need to work fast
with it and, unlike cement mortar, you don't get a second bite of the cherry
if it's wrong. Don't would be my advice.

Mark S.

On 2 Sep 2003 06:56:27 -0700, (Jon Weaver)
wrote:

I have just had my conservatory floor screeded, and to be fair they
did a good job.

But I was always intending on laying Self Leveling Compound before my
floor tiles.

However, I would say that the screed is slightly lower than I hoped
(perhaps 5-10mm below the DPC), so Self Leveler would not only level
the floor, but would give me the extra few mm that I am looking for.

However, having never done anything like this before, I am not sure
what to expect.

My attempts at filling and plastering have been monumentally bad, but
I am hoping that as the compound will 'self level' it won't be too
hard.

Is there anything that I should (or shouldn't) do?

Any hints or tips would be hugely appreciated.. I would hate to do it
wrong and spoil everything which has been done so far!

You need someone to help as mentioned, I did two floors on my own and
it's a nightmare to try and do it all yourself. You end up with ridges
between the batches of compound, not to mention arms like tree
trunks...

One person to mix and one to pour and smooth out with a float.

Mix a bucketful then get them to start mixing the next one
straightaway. It levels as much as it can on it's own but you do need
to spread it out as evenly as you can to give it the chance to do so.

It's no where near the same difficulty level as plastering.

Get a little bag and mix a cupful and have a play about with it, the
amount of water etc. and what it looks/feels like when you tip it onto
the floor, can always try it on out some cardboard so you know what
you doing before doing it for real.

Mark S.