Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painter's tape inquiry

The wife has been doing some projects in the house and is about going
mad. We have eggshell paint on plaster walls and when she paints and
uses "painter's tape," the the tape pulls the paint off the wall.

She'd like to know if there is a better alternative, if she should
look for a particular brand, or if there is something else to help
with the issue.

TIA,
Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
The wife has been doing some projects in the house and is about going
mad. We have eggshell paint on plaster walls and when she paints and
uses "painter's tape," the the tape pulls the paint off the wall.

She'd like to know if there is a better alternative, if she should
look for a particular brand, or if there is something else to help
with the issue.

TIA,
Dave

It may help to work quickly. Put the tape up, paint and take the tape down
within an hour or less.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
The wife has been doing some projects in the house and is about going
mad. We have eggshell paint on plaster walls and when she paints and
uses "painter's tape," the the tape pulls the paint off the wall.

She'd like to know if there is a better alternative, if she should
look for a particular brand, or if there is something else to help
with the issue.

*That happens when the paint is new. Even though the paint may feel dry to
the touch it actually takes several days for it to dry and harden
completely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Happens if left on too long though i found if you took it after a couple of
days it was okbut not after a week having done both!!

Don
"Pat" wrote in message
nvilleaccesscompany...

wrote in message
The wife has been doing some projects in the house and is about going
mad. We have eggshell paint on plaster walls and when she paints and
uses "painter's tape," the the tape pulls the paint off the wall.

She'd like to know if there is a better alternative, if she should
look for a particular brand, or if there is something else to help
with the issue.

TIA,
Dave

It may help to work quickly. Put the tape up, paint and take the tape
down within an hour or less.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Too much paint. The tape is there to guard against getting paint on the
woodwork or trim, but you shouldn't go at it like crazy and get all that
much paint on it. Still try to cut in carefully against the tape.

Also, she could use a razor knife or utility knife to gently cut the joint
between the painted wall and the tape.

wrote in message
The wife has been doing some projects in the house and is about going
mad. We have eggshell paint on plaster walls and when she paints and
uses "painter's tape," the the tape pulls the paint off the wall.

She'd like to know if there is a better alternative, if she should
look for a particular brand, or if there is something else to help
with the issue.

TIA,
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 15:56:33 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

The wife has been doing some projects in the house and is about going
mad. We have eggshell paint on plaster walls and when she paints and
uses "painter's tape," the the tape pulls the paint off the wall.

She'd like to know if there is a better alternative, if she should
look for a particular brand, or if there is something else to help
with the issue.

If she used the blue 3M stuff, sometimes that will pull paint off (as
we learned ourselves), typically latex over an oil-based paint. What
seems to work better (and cost more) is the green stuff called Duck
Tape. At least I think that's the brand: it's at the big box stores
and comes in a green plastic container with clear lid, not just shrink
wrap like the blue tapes. It worked well for the stripe project in
one room, where we alternated flat and eggshell finishes of the same
color on the walls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
The wife has been doing some projects in the house and is about going
mad. We have eggshell paint on plaster walls and when she paints and
uses "painter's tape," the the tape pulls the paint off the wall.

She'd like to know if there is a better alternative, if she should
look for a particular brand, or if there is something else to help
with the issue.

TIA,
Dave

Depends on what she is doing. It would be easier to learn to "cut in" if
you are talking about edges. If she is making stripes, then you need tape.
Apply it lightly but evenly and remove before too long or it will stick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
The wife has been doing some projects in the house and is about going
mad. We have eggshell paint on plaster walls and when she paints and
uses "painter's tape," the the tape pulls the paint off the wall.

She'd like to know if there is a better alternative, if she should
look for a particular brand, or if there is something else to help
with the issue.

TIA,
Dave

You're waiting too long. Pull the tape with the paint wet.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
wrote in message
The wife has been doing some projects in the house and is about going
mad. We have eggshell paint on plaster walls and when she paints and
uses "painter's tape," the the tape pulls the paint off the wall.

She'd like to know if there is a better alternative, if she should
look for a particular brand, or if there is something else to help
with the issue.

TIA,
Dave

You're waiting too long. Pull the tape with the paint wet.

Steve

i wondered if they meant it was pulling the paint they stuck the tape to
off the wall. that happened to me a time or two. Then i learned to cut
in without tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 9:40*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

The wife has been doing some projects in the house and is about going
mad. *We have eggshell paint on plaster walls and when she paints and
uses "painter's tape," the the tape pulls the paint off the wall.

She'd like to know if there is a better alternative, if she should
look for a particular brand, or if there is something else to help
with the issue.

TIA,
Dave

Depends on what she is doing. *It would be easier to learn to "cut in" if
you are talking about edges. *If she is making stripes, then you need tape.
Apply it lightly but evenly and remove before too long or it will stick.

Stick it to your shirt first then stick it on the wall. Works every
time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 23, 1:29*am, Steve Barker wrote:
SteveB wrote:
wrote in message
The wife has been doing some projects in the house and is about going
mad. *We have eggshell paint on plaster walls and when she paints and
uses "painter's tape," the the tape pulls the paint off the wall.

She'd like to know if there is a better alternative, if she should
look for a particular brand, or if there is something else to help
with the issue.

TIA,
Dave

You're waiting too long. *Pull the tape with the paint wet.

Steve

i wondered if they meant it was pulling the paint they stuck the tape to
off the wall. *that happened to me a time or two. *Then i learned to cut
in without tape.- Hide quoted text -

I got tickled watching my sister in law trying to paint staight line
on a cinder block wall using masking tape. She finally got POed whe I
broke out into a laugh. I snapped a chaulk line and started my cut-in
work.
Funny thing is she taught me how to cut in. Shes a bit of an artist.

Jimmie

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:
wrote in message
The wife has been doing some projects in the house and is about going
mad. We have eggshell paint on plaster walls and when she paints and
uses "painter's tape," the the tape pulls the paint off the wall.

She'd like to know if there is a better alternative, if she should
look for a particular brand, or if there is something else to help
with the issue.

TIA,
Dave

It may help to work quickly. Put the tape up, paint and take the tape down
within an hour or less.

I would not tape new paint for at least a couple of days. Even then,
tape needs to be removed as soon as possible and before the paint dries.
Also important is to pull the tape back on itself when removing it -
don't pull it straight out from the surface.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
wrote in message
The wife has been doing some projects in the house and is about going
mad. We have eggshell paint on plaster walls and when she paints and
uses "painter's tape," the the tape pulls the paint off the wall.

She'd like to know if there is a better alternative, if she should
look for a particular brand, or if there is something else to help
with the issue.

TIA,
Dave

You're waiting too long. Pull the tape with the paint wet.

Steve

i wondered if they meant it was pulling the paint they stuck the tape to
off the wall. that happened to me a time or two. Then i learned to cut
in without tape.

Finding a good brush that will cut in and learning how to cut in is the
secret. I can cut in stuff faster than people can tape and paint and pull
tape and fix the boo boos. The trick is keeping the brush hidden so that
someone else doesn't use it and smoosh it all up or leave it all full of
paint for a week and ruin it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 6:56*pm, "
wrote:
The wife has been doing some projects in the house and is about going
mad. *We have eggshell paint on plaster walls and when she paints and
uses "painter's tape," the the tape pulls the paint off the wall.

She'd like to know if there is a better alternative, if she should
look for a particular brand, or if there is something else to help
with the issue.

TIA,
Dave

Here's the consolidated list of what to do:
(1) Don't use the usual blue painter's tape for most surfaces. Use the
purple 3M tape, or the green tape another poster recommended.
(2) When using painter's tape on a wall that's been recently painted
(ex: you have to paint trim on a wall you just painted, wait seven
days for the paint to cure before using tape. Otherwise you'll just
end up pulling the not-yet-cured paint off.
(3) To avoid paint getting under the tape's edge, apply it carefully,
use an orange stick or other firm yet pliable stick to rub the "live"
edge down, and don't try to flex the tape or otherwise buckle it.
(4) Do not leave the tape on for more than 8-12 hours.
(5) Remove the tape while the paint you just applied is still wet. Do
not wait for it to dry - you may pull paint away with the tape.
(5a) If you waited too long and the paint dried, use a brand-spanking-
new utility/razor knife blade to LIGHTLY score any place the paint has
gone over the tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"George" wrote in message
The wife has been doing some projects in the house and is about
going mad. We have eggshell paint on plaster walls and when
she paints and uses "painter's tape," the the tape pulls the
paint off the wall.

She'd like to know if there is a better alternative, if she
should look for a particular brand, or if there is something
else to help with the issue.

Get a good quality trim brush and practice and forget the tape.

Taping everything is what they do on those "expert" home shows
sponsored by big box where they drop off a pallet of tape at the
house they are working on.

Taping is, after all, for people who can't paint.

Not at all .. I know very skilled painters and some mask,some don't.
Probably all do sometimes. Being on a ladder and working higher up
is a skill that diminishes with age )

As someone who makes a good bit of money painting, I can verify that
sometimes I use tape and sometimes I don't. :-)
I tape when it's easier, like getting in that stupid half-inch slot
between the door casing and the wall. I don't tape window glass, ever.
I paint onto the glass, then scrape it off with a razor.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Painter's Touch or Painter's Fingerprint?? Casper Woodworking 13 February 5th 09 05:15 PM
subpanel inquiry (yet another) [email protected] Home Repair 17 September 6th 06 09:45 PM
Painter's drop cloth [email protected] Home Repair 5 March 9th 06 03:33 PM
Tool Inquiry PMarks1694 Woodturning 1 September 8th 04 03:24 AM
painter's tape - removed before or after paint is dry? Howie Home Repair 15 August 28th 04 10:27 PM