Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs

How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

How many of them do you want to be alive when you get to the top?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 5:16�pm, mm wrote:
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. � Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

hire a couple younger guys, cheap insurance avoids ER visits etc
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

One if Charles Atlas
About 6 or seven if a bunch of out of shape old farts.
Two college students and a pizza & six pack makes more sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

It is a two man job. I won't address the age issues.

The 2 fittest should be the two man team. IMO, the stronger back on the
bottom.

The stronger shoulders on the top.

The guy on the top pulls and the guy on the bottom lifts one step at a time.

The third guy should shoot the video and be ready to call 911.

I apologize now for that last line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

It is a two man job. I won't address the age issues.

The 2 fittest should be the two man team. IMO, the stronger back on the
bottom.

The stronger shoulders on the top.

The guy on the top pulls and the guy on the bottom lifts one step at a time.

The third guy should shoot the video and be ready to call 911.

I apologize now for that last line.

Hi,
Old round fridges are very heavy. New ones are not that heavy.
Two man and handtruck is the way. If needed remove door(s).
Posted to alt.home.repair

G. Morgan wrote:
mm wrote:

How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

Get two men under age 40.

3 men all 60+ years will just sit around all day talking and arguing about how
it should be done. ;-)

What?
I am 69 and I am a doer not loafer, LOL! Why age has anything to do with
it? Aged are wiser from lot of experience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Send tape to Americas Funniest Home Videos, and use the
prize money to hire fridge movers.

No apology.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Colbyt" wrote in message

The third guy should shoot the video and be ready to call
911.

I apologize now for that last line.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:41:14 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

It is a two man job. I won't address the age issues.

The 2 fittest should be the two man team. IMO, the stronger back on the
bottom.

The stronger shoulders on the top.

The guy on the top pulls and the guy on the bottom lifts one step at a time.

The third guy should shoot the video and be ready to call 911.

I apologize now for that last line.

No need to apologize. The 72 is in great shape and always has been.
Ran a 4:12 mile in his 20's with barely any training. Still carrying
fiberglass extension ladderes around and erecting them by himself and
climing them, doing work, and putting them back on his pick-up cap
when he was 69 (would still be doing it, but the need ended.) Still
lifting boxes every day. But he has admitted once before that
something recent was a little hard for him.

The 83 year old I haven't seen in action for 10 years but then he was
in good shape, jumping off a Jersey wall (36? inches tall) as if it
were a 3 inch step. He did a lot of hard work in Siberia in the 40's
and is still tough because of it. He was supposed to be third guy.

I was supposed to be the second, and said ok until I remembered that I
had abdominal surgery January 15 and the doctor limited me to 15
pounds for 6 weeks. It's 9 weeks now, but I think the 6 weeks just
meant I could lift what people normally lift on a normal day, not a
whole refrigerator.

I asked the main question because in college our fridge broke and we
found an unused one in the basement of the apartment building. I
think we needed four of us to get it up one flight of stairs, a
typical set of back stairs of a 3 story Chicago apartment, probably
six-foot wide steps. But that was without a dolly, just lying on its
side, on blankets I'm sure so it wouldn't get scratched, and being
pushed up the stairs by two on the botton and one or two pulling on a
rope at the top. I don't think there was room for a third guy on the
bottom. Even with 4 we barely got it up there.

OK, we'll get some young guys.

Posted to alt.home.repair

One on top, to handle the hand truck. One on the bottom to
lift. One replacement, to take turns with the lift man.
Three sounds about right.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from
the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with
a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and
83, 72,
and 62 years old?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:48:34 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Colbyt wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

It is a two man job. I won't address the age issues.

The 2 fittest should be the two man team. IMO, the stronger back on the
bottom.

The stronger shoulders on the top.

The guy on the top pulls and the guy on the bottom lifts one step at a time.

The third guy should shoot the video and be ready to call 911.

I apologize now for that last line.

Hi,
Old round fridges are very heavy. New ones are not that heavy.
Two man and handtruck is the way. If needed remove door(s).

I thought they might be lighter now, but otoh, I thought they might be
a lot bigger. My friend says this one is not especially big, so it's
probably lighter.

Can't take video. None of us have a video recorder. Will spend
money for video recorder on hiring two men. Or maybe 3.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

When my mother moved in with my grandmother to take care of her, I moved
her chest freezer into the basement there. At the time, I told her it
was getting sold with the house. Ten years later, that is exactly what I
did. When the washer caught on fire here, and I had to buy a new one, I
was able to move the new plastic-tubbed one in myself with no problem.
To get the old one out, even after removing the motor and concrete
counterweight, I had to go hat-in-hand around my office begging a favor,
and finally found one lady whose hubby wanted a metal washer drum for a
burn barrel at their camp. He came over, and with some rope and my
regular handtruck, we managed to get it out. A frig dolley with the
strap and the tracks on the back would have helped, but would still have
taken 2 for safety.

Is the frig going elsewhere, or going away? If being replaced by a new
one, slip the truck guys a $20 each, and have them do it. If going to
charity, they will pick up. The 62 YO is a maybe, if he is in good
shape. The other 2, no way. Guys always think of themselves as
20-somethings, able to leap tall buildings with a single bound. Sure,
they tossed appliances around like beachballs back in the day, but that
day was decades ago. Hire some young bucks, or guilt some young
relatives into helping.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 5:56*pm, mm wrote:
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:41:14 -0400, "Colbyt"

wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

OK, we'll get some young guys.- Hide quoted text -

I'm in that age group. I try to use things like levers to my
advantage. Last thing I did was get my snowthrower in my SUV to take
to the shop for repairs and I used a ramp cobbled up from 2X4's.
Worked fine but my back was sore for a week. Go with the young guys
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:16:34 -0400, mm
wrote:

How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

One fit person who knows what he is doing can do it alone. I used to
hire a funny little guy named Fahey to do things like that. I had a
huge side-by-side refrigerator with the ice and water in the door that
he moved for me a few times. Fahey was about 5 foot 3 inches and wiry.
Maybe 150 pounds. He moved the fridge up stairs, down stairs and
anywhere that was needed by himself.

My recommendation is to hire someone before you end up with a sad
story. It's REALLY not worth saving a few bucks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , mm wrote:
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

If the men have teenage grandsons, that would be the best bet...

Seriously, get two young guys. I wouldn't be concerned about two 62-year-olds
moving a fridge, but 62 and 72 might be a little risky. Depends on the
individuals, of course, but as a general rule you'd be better off with a
couple of younger guys.

It's a two-man job, regardless: too heavy for one man, and three will get in
each other's way.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:59:49 -0400, wrote:

My recommendation is to hire someone before you end up with a sad
story. It's REALLY not worth saving a few bucks.

You must know that it's mostly not about the money.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 19:08:06 -0500, Fat Moe
wrote:

Two pairs for two dollars at Dollar General or maybe it
was Family Dollar.

They are all related. General Dollar fought under Chiang Kai Chek.
His name is usually prented in reverse order as is the Chinese way.
Family Dollar was the rest of his family.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 19:08:06 -0500, Fat Moe
wrote:

Whoever moves it, get them some grip gloves if they don't have them.
Sharp edges and slick sides on something going up a stairs is asking for
trouble. Even those gloves with the plastic dots will help moving it
much easier.

And thanks for the suggestion. I have leather gloves, but I also
bought a couple pairs of the dot gloves. Didn't know why, but I
usually use the things I buy. So this must be why.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Whoever moves it, get them some grip gloves if they don't have them.
Sharp edges and slick sides on something going up a stairs is asking for
trouble. Even those gloves with the plastic dots will help moving it
much easier.

And thanks for the suggestion. I have leather gloves, but I also
bought a couple pairs of the dot gloves. Didn't know why, but I
usually use the things I buy. So this must be why.

I've sworn by the dot gloves since I discovered them at around age 13 or
so, close to 40 years ago. Beats the snot out of the no-dot brown
gloves, which are way too slippery. I even use them as driving gloves in
winter, since drive to work is too short to heat up the car enough to go
bare-handed. You can actually use the dashboard controls with those, not
possible with insulated gloves. For some reason, the stores around here
don't always have them, or have them in the size I wear, so when I trip
across them, I buy 2-3 pairs. They don't last real long under abrasive
conditions, but at a buck a pair, I don't really care. Unless I get
something real nasty on them, I just run them through the washer when
they get funky- can't do that with most work gloves. I try to keep a
clean pair in the pocket of every cool-weather coat I have. I use
leather for sharp stuff, and blue nitrile for painting and caulking, but
the brown dots for most everything else.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Whoever moves it, get them some grip gloves if they don't have them.
Sharp edges and slick sides on something going up a stairs is asking for
trouble. Even those gloves with the plastic dots will help moving it
much easier.

And thanks for the suggestion. I have leather gloves, but I also
bought a couple pairs of the dot gloves. Didn't know why, but I
usually use the things I buy. So this must be why.

I've sworn by the dot gloves since I discovered them at around age 13 or
so, close to 40 years ago.

Hmmm. I never even saw them until 2 or 3 years ago!!

Beats the snot out of the no-dot brown
gloves, which are way too slippery. I even use them as driving gloves in
winter, since drive to work is too short to heat up the car enough to go
bare-handed. You can actually use the dashboard controls with those, not
possible with insulated gloves. For some reason, the stores around here
don't always have them, or have them in the size I wear, so when I trip
across them, I buy 2-3 pairs. They don't last real long under abrasive
conditions, but at a buck a pair, I don't really care. Unless I get
something real nasty on them, I just run them through the washer when
they get funky- can't do that with most work gloves. I try to keep a
clean pair in the pocket of every cool-weather coat I have. I use
leather for sharp stuff, and blue nitrile for painting and caulking, but
the brown dots for most everything else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:V0dxl.21774$c45.14117
@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com:

"mm" wrote in message
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

One if Charles Atlas
About 6 or seven if a bunch of out of shape old farts.
Two college students and a pizza & six pack makes more sense.

Well I'm 55 and could move it myself...downstairs anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message

One if Charles Atlas
About 6 or seven if a bunch of out of shape old farts.
Two college students and a pizza & six pack makes more sense.

Well I'm 55 and could move it myself...downstairs anyway.

I'm sure you could. I bought a basic 14 cu ft. fridge for our breakroom at
work. It was delivered by a guy about 60 and he did it by himself. Only had
to go up four steps. He said he'd not do the larger models though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in
:

Colbyt wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

It is a two man job. I won't address the age issues.

The 2 fittest should be the two man team. IMO, the stronger back on
the bottom.

The stronger shoulders on the top.

The guy on the top pulls and the guy on the bottom lifts one step at
a time.

The third guy should shoot the video and be ready to call 911.

I apologize now for that last line.

Hi,
Old round fridges are very heavy. New ones are not that heavy.
Two man and handtruck is the way. If needed remove door(s).

Depending on the frig, even the newer side by sides can have some weight.
Problem is when where you have to maneuver it only has room for one
person at each end.

Bit back I had to move a side by side from one room to another myself.
Didn't really have a step but an offset. Doorway I had to go through was
so tight not only did I have to take the doors off but even the door
hinges and it had to go through perpendicular to the wheels. Ice maker
solenoid barely cleared without removing it as well. Once you remove the
doors, food contents and any glass shelving, it lightens up quite a bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message

One if Charles Atlas
About 6 or seven if a bunch of out of shape old farts.
Two college students and a pizza & six pack makes more sense.

Well I'm 55 and could move it myself...downstairs anyway.

I'm sure you could.

Well, I sorta meant stand at the top, yell "Fore!" and give it a teeter.

I bought a basic 14 cu ft. fridge for our
breakroom at work. It was delivered by a guy about 60 and he did it
by himself. Only had to go up four steps. He said he'd not do the
larger models though.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 00:01:20 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Red Green" wrote in message

One if Charles Atlas
About 6 or seven if a bunch of out of shape old farts.
Two college students and a pizza & six pack makes more sense.

Well I'm 55 and could move it myself...downstairs anyway.

I'm sure you could. I bought a basic 14 cu ft. fridge for our breakroom at
work. It was delivered by a guy about 60 and he did it by himself. Only had
to go up four steps. He said he'd not do the larger models though.

He was probably 30 and just looked that way from delivering
refrigerators.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

This should not be a problem. Strapping the fridge to the dolly allows you
to tip the fridge to the center of balance so one guy can roll it on a flat
surface without a problem.

As for the stairs, this is only a series of small lifts where the guy on the
top pulls up and the guy(s) on the bottom lift, so with 2 guys it should be
doable, with three no problem.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I was in college in the early 1980s, my room made got a
refrigerator. we somehow managed to get it to the loading
dock of the other dorm complex, and another student helped
the two of us heft it onto the back of my 1974 Dodge Dart
Swinger. We managed to get it into the other building, and
into the dorm room some how. That was quite a trip.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message

I asked the main question because in college our fridge
broke and we
found an unused one in the basement of the apartment
building. I
think we needed four of us to get it up one flight of
stairs, a
typical set of back stairs of a 3 story Chicago apartment,
probably
six-foot wide steps. But that was without a dolly, just
lying on its
side, on blankets I'm sure so it wouldn't get scratched, and
being
pushed up the stairs by two on the botton and one or two
pulling on a
rope at the top. I don't think there was room for a third
guy on the
bottom. Even with 4 we barely got it up there.

OK, we'll get some young guys.

Posted to alt.home.repair

At the close of his life, wasn't he burried under Dollar
Tree?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message

Two pairs for two dollars at Dollar General or maybe it
was Family Dollar.

They are all related. General Dollar fought under Chiang
Kai Chek.
His name is usually prented in reverse order as is the
Chinese way.
Family Dollar was the rest of his family.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

I recall the story I was told by a friend when I was in Hawaii. They
had a refrigerator to move up stairs and they were all fussing about
how to do it when his little Japanese grandfather got fed up with with
their talk. He grabbed a length of rope, threw it around the refrigerator,
hauled it up on his back and took it up by himself. So all you need
to do is find a Japanese grandfather and your troubles are over.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

I'll tell you better in 2 yrs, but I can't imagine asking for help if
I had to do that & I'm 58, 10 yrs beyond a 'cardiac event'- and have
chronic fatigue syndrome.

It is *all* I would do that week, but with a decent hand-truck it
isn't a major job.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 09:03:33 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

When I was in college in the early 1980s, my room made got a
refrigerator. we somehow managed to get it to the loading
dock of the other dorm complex, and another student helped
the two of us heft it onto the back of my 1974 Dodge Dart
Swinger. We managed to get it into the other building, and
into the dorm room some how. That was quite a trip.

That's pretty good. I've moved a spinet piano on the back of my
Catalina or Centurion convertible. Twice. I put a double bed
mattress on the trunk and lowered top first.

But a fridge might be even heavier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
When I was in college in the early 1980s, my room made got a
refrigerator. we somehow managed to get it to the loading
dock of the other dorm complex, and another student helped
the two of us heft it onto the back of my 1974 Dodge Dart
Swinger. We managed to get it into the other building, and
into the dorm room some how. That was quite a trip.

That's pretty good. �I've moved a spinet piano on the back of my
Catalina or Centurion convertible. � Twice. �I put a double bed
mattress on the trunk and lowered top first.

But a fridge might be even heavier.

had friends who had a house fire. had to move freezer out of basement
into garage.

what a mess, I measured and KNEW house door had to come off.

ginny insited freezer would fit without removing door, her hubby
insisted too.

so I said its a waste of time but lets try..... it didnt fit

Ginny asked what do we do now? freezer HAD to go back down steps, and
door come off.

10 minutes later and one hernia freezer was out of basement and in
garage. her hubby haD NEVER SEEN DOOR HINGE PINS REMOVED

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

In 'Gran Torino,' Eastwood's character - about 75 - and the kid from next
door moved a freezer from the basement to the driveway.

One person could do your job if he disassembled the refrigerator first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A frequent contributor to this newsgroup wrote:
When I was in college in the early 1980s, my room made got a
refrigerator.

Glad to see what an impact college had on your writing ability :-)

Did you actually hire someone to clean your dorm room and provide you
with a refrigerator?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:22:30 -0700, Bob wrote:

A frequent contributor to this newsgroup wrote:
When I was in college in the early 1980s, my room made got a
refrigerator.

Glad to see what an impact college had on your writing ability :-)

Did you actually hire someone to clean your dorm room and provide you
with a refrigerator?

College didn't seem to help you much either. Maid

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

This sounds like some kind of tricky math question... ":-/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:16:34 -0400, mm wrote:
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the
basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap
etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72,
and 62 years old?

depends on the weight of the fridge and your definition of "good
shape" and wether or not they've ever moved anything heavy.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
When I was in college in the early 1980s, my room made got a
refrigerator. we somehow managed to get it to the loading
dock of the other dorm complex, and another student helped
the two of us heft it onto the back of my 1974 Dodge Dart
Swinger. We managed to get it into the other building, and
into the dorm room some how. That was quite a trip.

That's pretty good. ?I've moved a spinet piano on the back of my
Catalina or Centurion convertible. ? Twice. ?I put a double bed
mattress on the trunk and lowered top first.

I should have said that it's dangerous (to the piano) to move a piano
with the sound board horizontal. Spinets and other uprights should be
moved upright, and grands should be moved when they are on their side.

However these were only 300 dollar pianos** and I couldn't afford to
also pay a mover. So I went only about 10 MPH on the rough parts of
the road and only 25 or a little more on the very smooth parts,
looking ahead to see if there were any chuckholes.

**The Wurlitzer sounded very good when my friend got it. The Winter
sounded bad, even to me, when it came to my house. Maybe I wouldn't
have bought it if I'd known a piano could sound bad to me. None other
has, before or since. But a cheap, used piano can sound very good.

But a fridge might be even heavier.

had friends who had a house fire. had to move freezer out of basement
into garage.

what a mess, I measured and KNEW house door had to come off.

ginny insited freezer would fit without removing door, her hubby
insisted too.

so I said its a waste of time but lets try..... it didnt fit

Ginny asked what do we do now? freezer HAD to go back down steps, and
door come off.

10 minutes later and one hernia freezer was out of basement and in
garage. her hubby haD NEVER SEEN DOOR HINGE PINS REMOVED

That's pretty funny.